Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2012, 09:17 AM

26,650 posts, read 28,563,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Good Morning all. I'm up early to get my two foster girls (dogs) to the spay/neuter shuttle. They'll stay overnight so I get almost 24 hours of relative peace and quiet here. But most likely my own 3 dogs and the third foster will make up for the little ones being gone and the place will be just as crazy as ever.

Then PT this afternoon to undergo more gentle torture to free up this frozen shoulder. I am seeing slow progress and my range of motion has improved a little bit.

Hope you all have a fine day.
I had frozen shoulder so I literally can feel your pain. The best exercise they gave me was to take a broom and hold on to it with the bad arm and then move the broom upwards with the good arm.

It took years though. Even then I couldn't raise my arm without pain. Then my husband said something about a capsule? You have to break the capsule? Things that form. So he would take my arm and force it through the pain and it didn't take long before my arm was back to normal.

Maybe a nurse on here will know what I'm taking about with the capsule--or you can ask about that. I never would have been back to normal if my husband hadn't done that. Had to do it quite a few times and it KILLED but it worked. I hope you get better. Enjoy your doggies.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:08 PM

31,680 posts, read 40,976,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I take my love for the chilly temps back! It got cold last night, and around 4 am I woke up and started thinking how nice 70 degrees in NC would be....
Not warm now colder with bone chilling wind. On the way to beach and I just froze getting gas. Gotta research zflorida. Just kidding

Old 12-12-2012, 12:16 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,264,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Not warm now colder with bone chilling wind. On the way to beach and I just froze getting gas. Gotta research zflorida. Just kidding
Just took my doggie out for walkies. It is not terribly cold here (48 d. F) but with the damp drizzling rain . . . it is a piercing wet sort of miserable. I didn't wear a coat when I took the dog out (had on a hoody so pulled the hood over my head) . . . but I am comfy in colder temps than most folks. It is the damp that seems to be the problem for me. And maybe the barometric pressure - doc says it really can affect joints and I believe him!

Hope everyone has a good afternoon.

And Tuborg . . . Florida? hee hee I know you jest.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Just took my doggie out for walkies. It is not terribly cold here (48 d. F) but with the damp drizzling rain . . . it is a piercing wet sort of miserable. I didn't wear a coat when I took the dog out (had on a hoody so pulled the hood over my head) . . . but I am comfy in colder temps than most folks. It is the damp that seems to be the problem for me. And maybe the barometric pressure - doc says it really can affect joints and I believe him!

Yes and now the cold rain. Yes this Fall has spoiled me and others spoke with a neighbor who just back from a cruise down south and was not joyful to b back

Old 12-12-2012, 01:54 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,000,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

Nothing like a wet cold - it's much colder than temps much lower but drier. It goes right to the bone.

Well, we went from 3F to 40F and it's downright balmy. I was out moving more snow off my driveway so the sun can melt the rest of it and had to open my jacket.

Ya know - can't believe how the quality of things has gone down hill. I just bought a new mouse pad - my other one was 15 years old and literally falling apart. This new one is like a wet noodle - thin and floppy - no substance at all.

OK, carry on~~

Old 12-12-2012, 02:28 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,939,523 times
Interesting about weather. I spent several years considering VA, NC, and SC for somewhat warmer winters. I was sure to visit those places in summer to get a feel for the worst, my nemesis– suffocating heat/humidity. As I get older I am finding out that contrary to my relocation inclinations, cool damp/moist weather is wonderful for my lungs and for my ability to walk far. Hot/humid summer slows me down to near immobility, but the cool-moist air enlivens and energizes. I would do well in the PNW. I don't know what I was thinking when I thought of moving South, other than wanting to simply escape Jan. and Feb. and high taxes up here. Heat of any kind is not my friend. So here is good and in summers I will escape north to the Maine coast, leaving my Southern dreams to another lifetime. Meanwhile my sis continues to look South, but now I believe she will do the FLA-winter thing.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Interesting about weather. I spent several years considering VA, NC, and SC for somewhat warmer winters. I was sure to visit those places in summer to get a feel for the worst, my nemesis– suffocating heat/humidity. As I get older I am finding out that contrary to my relocation inclinations, cool damp/moist weather is wonderful for my lungs and for my ability to walk far. Hot/humid summer slows me down to near immobility, but the cool-moist air enlivens and energizes. I would do well in the PNW. I don't know what I was thinking when I thought of moving South, other than wanting to simply escape Jan. and Feb. and high taxes up here. Heat of any kind is not my friend. So here is good and in summers I will escape north to the Maine coast, leaving my Southern dreams to another lifetime. Meanwhile my sis continues to look South, but now I believe she will do the FLA-winter thing.
You would hate Carolina summers

Old 12-12-2012, 03:22 PM

861 posts, read 1,145,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
New to this thread..... I was interested to hear about this because I was always told that as you get older, you like hot weather more. And it ain't happening for me either. I live in Texas and each summer it gets more aggravating. I'll be retiring in about a year and I'm looking at Portland Maine as a possible location. I grew up in Minnesota and I actually miss winter (but now I like seafood more than cold so I'm heading to New England rather than Minnesota).

Old 12-12-2012, 03:34 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,939,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
New to this thread..... I was interested to hear about this because I was always told that as you get older, you like hot weather more. And it ain't happening for me either. I live in Texas and each summer it gets more aggravating. I'll be retiring in about a year and I'm looking at Portland Maine as a possible location. I grew up in Minnesota and I actually miss winter (but now I like seafood more than cold so I'm heading to New England rather than Minnesota).
You might love the shipping small cities Portland (and Brunswick) Maine and also Portsmouth, NH then. I do. New Hampshire is pricey; Portland not too bad. Lots to do, lots of New England charm, near the sea.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:00 AM

26,650 posts, read 28,563,001 times
I'm the same way, not tolerating the heat, and the older I get the worse it seems to be. The heat in Virginia in August almost knocked me over.

Of course I also don't tolerate the dry cold in the winter. Even with a humidifier going in the house there's just something about the winter air that will dry my sinuses up.

We have to be frugal but we do have a camper and we could go down to Florida if it gets too bad here this winter. I'm not a fan of Florida though. Probably would just sit at the campground and post to the CD forums for something to do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.