Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2014, 11:55 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times

Advertisements

Wow, all, sounds like a bad day, same here, the rhinitus that's been plaguing me for almost a year was fine this morning then BAM when I got home just now the pressure behind the nose/eyes, eyes all squinted and swollen, sinuses feel packed solid. Blech.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:02 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
I"m discovering a whole new network of folks finally, after 2 1/2 years being here. Seems to take a year or two in a new place. Mostly meeting these folks through a yoga/tai chi studio in a renovated mill, and through a beautiful new library in an adjacent city that has many low-income folks. I've decided to offer a free writing group at the library for teens there, with an eye to their doing readings in the lovely community room. Seems like the last two years I've felt displaced and out of sorts in this newer location, and though we retain the same friends here as there, moving even a short distance has been, well, an "adjustment." It feels strange and good to have these people connections opening up left and right, seemingly overnight. These venues may be good starting places for anyone moving to a new location; wish I'd figured it out earlier, but then again the house renovations the past few years have kept us distracted from getting to know our new environment.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:43 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Sounds like 'one of those days' Ani but at least wasn't all bad.
I'm visiting C_D waiting for my frustration level to rejuvenate.
Half hour into computer use and the thing died...really dead.
Had to wait 2 hours for the earliest opening store (Walmart) to open at 7 AM since I discovered I 'can't' go without one

Crap! Not only do I have to get used to and configure a new cmachine and get rid of all the crap they come loaded with but forgot the thing would come with Win 8 on it. So far I hate it and find it totally unintuitive.

Uggggghhhh . . . computer issues! Got hubby a new computer in December; screen broke in February. He hates it!!! Yes, Windows 8. He just won't use it so I guess that $350 price was no bargain after all, lol. He wants a used Mac (much easier interface). Maybe I will find him one on Ebay.

Hope you can figure things out. I am told there is some way to make the interface w/ all those apps go away in Windows 8 but I have no clue how to make that happen. I have been on Macs since 1985. "I don't do Windows" lololol.

Read on forums and someone out there will have some suggestions for how to get your computer configured to something more user friendly. Also, youtube has tutorials and surely someone has a good tutorial that might help.

Good luck!!!

Old 04-17-2014, 05:57 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Uggggghhhh . . . computer issues! Got hubby a new computer in December; screen broke in February. He hates it!!! Yes, Windows 8. He just won't use it so I guess that $350 price was no bargain after all, lol. He wants a used Mac (much easier interface). Maybe I will find him one on Ebay.
Get a refurbished Mac...check your local Apple store or the Apple website. Many of the ones on the website are recent returns, or cancellations, barely used. They come with a one-year warranty and you can purchase Apple Care, if you choose. Have heard good things about the refurbished models from people in my local Mac User Group.

Refurbished and Clearance iPod, iPad & Mac Products - Free Shipping - Apple Store (U.S.)

Old 04-17-2014, 08:10 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Had a great time with my uncle in Manhattan. He insisted on paying for both my lunch and dinner and taxi rides. A lot of progress has been made on the new World Trade Center site. The WTC 1 is nearly complete and the new tenants are moving their furniture in. The new transportation looks like some sort of strange dinosaur skeleton.

The only unfortunate thing that happened on my trip in Manhattan is that I stumbled and fell on the sidewalk. I skinned my knee and hurt my wrist as I fell forward and hand was first to make contact with the sidewalk. I'm better now, thanks, but my left leg is a little swollen and stiff. At night Uncle and I had Indian food in a little place in the East Village and the friendly Punjabi Sikh Sitar player came over and chatted with us for a while.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:37 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Had a great time with my uncle in Manhattan. He insisted on paying for both my lunch and dinner and taxi rides. A lot of progress has been made on the new World Trade Center site. The WTC 1 is nearly complete and the new tenants are moving their furniture in. The new transportation looks like some sort of strange dinosaur skeleton.

The only unfortunate thing that happened on my trip in Manhattan is that I stumbled and fell on the sidewalk. I skinned my knee and hurt my wrist as I fell forward and hand was first to make contact with the sidewalk. I'm better now, thanks, but my left leg is a little swollen and stiff. At night Uncle and I had Indian food in a little place in the East Village and the friendly Punjabi Sikh Sitar player came over and chatted with us for a while.

I'm glad to hear that you had a great time and I hope that you make a full and speedy recovery from your fall. I must say that I enjoyed my vicarious return to NYC and perhaps I'll make a real trip back there one of these days and see what changes have happened in the 40 years since I left and moved to CA.

Indian food - yum. Don't find much of it down here in the south.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:27 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:

The new transportation looks like some sort of strange dinosaur skeleton.
Oops ... what I meant to say is the new Transportation Hub pavillion, right next to the World Trade Center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post

Indian food - yum. Don't find much of it down here in the south.
There are so many Indian immigrants to the US in the past 20 years I think Indian restaurants exist in every larger city and town in the US. Certainly here in Philly there are scores of good Indian restaurants as well as in Baltimore and Washington. My favorite dish is Chicken Tikka Masala.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:39 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
Ouch, Clark, get better soon.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:05 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Have had Win 8 for over a year, and I'm still arguing with it
DH has tried Win 8 a few times, and always reverted back to Win 7. If you haven't yet got 8.1, he did say that was a worthwhile improvement over 8.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:41 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
Quote:
The only unfortunate thing that happened on my trip in Manhattan is that I stumbled and fell on the sidewalk. I skinned my knee and hurt my wrist as I fell forward and hand was first to make contact with the sidewalk. I'm better now, thanks, but my left leg is a little swollen and stiff.
Oh no! I've fallen right on my knees on uneven sidewalks...ouch, ouch! Hope you're feeling better soon. Take good care of yourself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement