Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2014, 06:51 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,901,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I was looking online today for alternate places to live (just dreaming) and there were places that allowed a dog and a cat or any size dog but certain breeds were excluded, there were all sorts of combinations. But you don't often see that here in New England. It's mostly no pets.

If I'm looking at a real estate site or Craigs List RE I always check the DOG box because I don't even want to know about the places that think people should have to live without their pets. IMHO, pet lovers are usually nice people and those places that exclude pets exclude a lot of nice people too.
For rentals it's easier to find out about pets, if you look on Craigslist. We would never be accepted for a rent*. The other night the old man (farmer John) surprised me by saying why don't we look into condo listings (to purchase) in a specific "other" area. Having tried to get him to think this way for the past year, I jumped right on it and found little to no info about pets in the listings. Having two dogs (*the little one a yapper) I'm sure we'd never qualify, or once in we'd be booted out.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:51 PM

7,572 posts, read 8,981,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
For rentals it's easier to find out about pets, if you look on Craigslist. We would never be accepted for a rent*. The other night the old man (farmer John) surprised me by saying why don't we look into condo listings (to purchase) in a specific "other" area. Having tried to get him to think this way for the past year, I jumped right on it and found little to no info about pets in the listings. Having two dogs (*the little one a yapper) I'm sure we'd never qualify, or once in we'd be booted out.
I have a dog that will bark when I leave so I have finally taken the advice of a friend and ordered a stop barking collar. They do not hurt the dog. I just received it so haven't tried it yet but have heard many good reports. In this case I got one with a rechargeable battery (very important) and has many settings. This is a Sportdog NoBark 10R from Amazon. Good use for that $500

EGADS - not advice - just a suggestion

Old 06-15-2014, 08:16 PM

7,572 posts, read 8,981,495 times
Default Zugor

Zugor - check in and let us know how you are.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:24 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,697,444 times
Yes, Zug, please.

in_ne, my BIL lives in one of the Spanish Lakes communities in Port St. Lucie, they have sections of the park that allow pet owners.

You own the house but lease the land, hence his brand new CBS two bedroom home the taxes are only 650 a year.

Florida dreaming...........

Old 06-16-2014, 09:16 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,347,650 times
Hi Friends, I'm fine. My surgery date got pushed back until June 25th, primarily so that I could get a few things done before it. One of the main issues was to find someone to do yard work, especially running the big Stihl string trimmer along the hundreds and hundreds of feet that need to be done. It took a while but I did find a guy to hire who seems like he will be reliable.

I also need to get to Costco, 90 miles away in Winston-Salem and bring back a dozen or more bags of dog food and get a couple of projects done inside the house.

Some of the bills for medical procedures have rolled in and they are amazing. My favorite is the one for some blood work which has a full price of $668.00 but adjustments (not insurance payment) of $645.18, leaving me to pay the balance of $22.82. It got me wondering when we read about the high cost of health care whether the figures they use are the full retail price or the cost after "adjustments"?

My young friend who is participating in the Bike & Build project
Bike & Build - Southern U.S.
has been writing a good blog. I shopped for and shipped a couple of care packages - mostly food such as jerky, summer sausage, nuts, chocolate milk that doesn't have to be refrigerated, Clif bars and some moisture lotion which they are going through at a rapid pace. Many of the places that host them overnight provide dinner but it tends to be very heavy on carbs like pizza and spaghetti and many of the care packages sent by family and friends tend to be very heavy on refined sugar so they are longing for a bit more protein. The other thing my friend was craving was a bit of solitude. While she enojys the company of of the other 31 riders and the folks who are hosting them and the people they are working with at the build sites it does get to be a bit much so the other day she managed to head out early and spend several hours riding alone.

Umbria I hope that the maple does not come crashing down on your home. A few years ago I had two 80 ft silver maples taken down for just that reason even though they shaded the west side of the house and now the LR gets much warmer on summer days.

CCc girl I know what you mean about feeling blessed to share our lives with our critters who ask for so little and give so much.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:28 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,697,444 times
Good to hear from you, Zugor.

My aunt had the GB surgery, three tiny incisions on the belly. Minimal doscomfort. The worst was recovery and coming out of the anesthesia.

Do you have someone to drive you and check in on you?

Your Bike and Build adopted child sounds wonderful....... adopted family rocks!!!!!!

Old 06-16-2014, 10:15 AM

6,418 posts, read 11,544,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
It's been a dramatic week here down on the farm. Like Hitchcock's Psycho.

For the first time in our lives (and we are old) we have had a bevy of birds crashing straight into our windows nonstop, thumping against the glass on all sides of the house as often as ten times in ten minutes in daylight hours. It doesn't seem to be the usual case of some stray bird accidentally hitting a window; it seems like an orchestrated onslaught. We tried hanging tin foil pans (that created more noise hitting the house than the birds did), streamers, decals, etc. Finally we soaped up the glass on the two sliders and this morning so far no kamikaze dives into those at least. But we have to live with the soaped up windows! Anyone hear of this and have a solution??
In the particular light when that's happening, the birds see the sky reflected in your windows and think it's more sky.

You can buy stickers that the birds can see but you can't - they serve the same purpose as soaping up your windows, like these: Amazon.com - Leaf Medley Window Decal Envelope-Save Wild Birds! - Home And Garden Products

Old 06-16-2014, 06:54 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,850,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
In the particular light when that's happening, the birds see the sky reflected in your windows and think it's more sky.

You can buy stickers that the birds can see but you can't - they serve the same purpose as soaping up your windows, like these: Amazon.com - Leaf Medley Window Decal Envelope-Save Wild Birds! - Home And Garden Products
I could probably use some of those. My sliding glass doors face south and I often have a bird flying into them. Thankfully not an invasion like NEG's! That movie, The Birds, has always given me the heebie jeebies.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:40 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,369,758 times
Please keep the people of Pilger,NE in your thoughts

Old 06-16-2014, 07:48 PM

26,637 posts, read 28,438,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
Please keep the people of Pilger,NE in your thoughts
What happened? I'll go and google it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement