Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2013, 08:17 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times

Advertisements

^^Neg, this is your lucky day--this is one of those subjects that's been covered thoroughly. There are quite a few threads that would interest you, and which cover your concerns. Try these two, they were pretty thorough:

//www.city-data.com/forum/retir...red-after.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/retir...cost-pets.html

Old 01-11-2013, 11:32 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am thinking this weekend we should fire up the grill. Love to grill in the winter (hubby doesn't) . . . but this would be the perfect time to enjoy it one last round. I am going to pretend I am in Florida, lol.

Some of us don't have to pretend.

Walked out the back of the condo this morning and went for a nice little walk along the shore, then cut over one block and dropped into the bank. On the way home, I stopped at the post office, Walgreens and then the Publix supermarket before returning home. It's nice having everything within a few blocks.

I'm glad you're benefiting from some abnormally high temps for Charlotte. But the low - - - the low mind you - - - is projected to be close to 70 (68) here in Miami Beach both Saturday and Sunday.

However, we'll have a bit of a cold snap and the high will drop from 81 to "only" 80 on Sunday.

33141 Weekend Weather Forecast - weather.com

Old 01-11-2013, 12:49 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Against my better judgment I somehow got myself into getting a rescue dog two months ago (long story), a funny little squirt (Jack Russell Terrier, same breed as the one in the recent film "The Artist" and also Eddie in "Frazier"). This little guy, only a year old, has turned the house upside down with his antics, providing lots of fun and laughter and bringing out the other shy and reserved dog.

Smaller breed - perfect for an apartment

What I'm wondering about is what happens in old age...my older dog will have passed on, but the younger one will still be active. I would hope I'm fit enough to keep up the walks and grooming (I do have help). But I can see where getting a dog in older age, although supposedly good for mental and physical health, can present problems - especially if moving into an apartment or condo. Some accept small dogs, many do not. It would be real heartache to give up a beloved pet. This little guy will be my final adopted pet (love cats, but not changing the litter), and that kind of saddens me. Anyone have experience with pets in apartments or condos?
I'm of the opinion that when you get a pet, it's a "til death we do part" case. Having worked for an animal rescue for several years I saw many dogs come in that just became "inconvenient". These dogs actually go through a mourning process where they become very depressed - it's very sad to see. Keep that image in your mind if you ever get the urge to ditch the dog.

Now, think of NYC - I was so surprised at how many pepole there have dogs - in apartments - no backyard - and they seem to manage just fine. I was there for a work conference and went a few days early to check the city out. I roamed for 3 days all by myself. I took a break and was sitting on a bench in Central Park and here came a hundred (?) dogs. I never found out why they were there but could be a walk-a-thon of some sort. I was talking to a woman and she mentioned how many people had dogs in the city.

So, yes it can be done and is a good incentive to get up and get some exercise.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:06 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
We have just had some snow , about three inches of dry powdery stuff; it was enough to ski. The temperature at my place is 6 so I donned my cross country skis and headed down the trail to the base of my big hill, too tough a climb today. My dogs were frisking and having fun and no icy paws. We don't get much snow in these parts so we need to make use of it while it's here.

We came back after about twenty minutes and had creamed eggs sprinkled with just snipped chives served on buttered toast. I had already boiled the eggs so I only had to make the Bechamel sauce.

Two clients called so far today anxious to spend some money. I was very obliging.

I'm reading an interesting book on the history of explosives with a good deal of emphasis on Alfred Nobel, an interesting but morose man. I suppose that if he were born today the government schoolteachers would have filled him with drugs that would have pinched off his creativity. He was fortunate to have lived in a better time.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 01-11-2013 at 01:20 PM..

Old 01-11-2013, 04:49 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I'm of the opinion that when you get a pet, it's a "til death we do part" case. Having worked for an animal rescue for several years I saw many dogs come in that just became "inconvenient". These dogs actually go through a mourning process where they become very depressed - it's very sad to see. Keep that image in your mind if you ever get the urge to ditch the dog.

Now, think of NYC - I was so surprised at how many pepole there have dogs - in apartments - no backyard - and they seem to manage just fine. I was there for a work conference and went a few days early to check the city out. I roamed for 3 days all by myself. I took a break and was sitting on a bench in Central Park and here came a hundred (?) dogs. I never found out why they were there but could be a walk-a-thon of some sort. I was talking to a woman and she mentioned how many people had dogs in the city.

So, yes it can be done and is a good incentive to get up and get some exercise.
I was thinking more along the lines of what happens if incapacitation occurs in older age, like a stroke or other problem. (I have made my kids promise to keep the dogs in the family.) I have family members to help but many of us don't. My main thought is about going into a condo or apt. For some reason these places only accept dogs under 25 lb and only one, if at all. That would mean I would have to give up my dear older dog who is now 5. I guess this indicates I will live in a house forever as I will not give her or the little squirt up no matter what.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:52 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
On dogs and older people. (1) there was a little old -80+ old gentleman and i used to see him and his tiny dog out every day taking tiny steps together. I think the little dog was keeping the man alive. that is the good side of it.

(2) My weimaraner is almost 18 and he and I are in the throes of final days to keep him comfortable and let him pass naturally I hope. I am 62, petite, and can barely physically help him when he needs it. But he and I keep plugging along. that is the sad of it.

When he goes, I do not plan to get another dog and no cats - although i think cats are cute. I am just done with it. and i hope i don't get persuaded otherwise.

Yet my sweet boy is lying on the couch and keeping me the best company with his snores. I will miss the fellow.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:38 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
^^Neg, this is your lucky day--this is one of those subjects that's been covered thoroughly. There are quite a few threads that would interest you, and which cover your concerns. Try these two, they were pretty thorough:

//www.city-data.com/forum/retir...red-after.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/retir...cost-pets.html
Yeah, these might have been better put into Chat.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:40 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Some of us don't have to pretend.

Walked out the back of the condo this morning and went for a nice little walk along the shore, then cut over one block and dropped into the bank. On the way home, I stopped at the post office, Walgreens and then the Publix supermarket before returning home. It's nice having everything within a few blocks.

I'm glad you're benefiting from some abnormally high temps for Charlotte. But the low - - - the low mind you - - - is projected to be close to 70 (68) here in Miami Beach both Saturday and Sunday.

However, we'll have a bit of a cold snap and the high will drop from 81 to "only" 80 on Sunday.

33141 Weekend Weather Forecast - weather.com
77 today at the southern NC beaches. Not as warm as you but you are the man

Old 01-11-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, here in Charlotte we are expecting an unseasonably warm weekend with temps hovering right below 70 d. I am planning on getting outside and tidying up a bit!

I hope you do find a new home for the treeing walker hound. I don't know how you deal with all the "baying" that hounds typically make! My first pet was a beagle (from my grandfather, who had hunting dogs) and my second was a basset hound (again, from my grandfather). The beagle was irritating, to be honest - just not that into me as a child - more into chasing squirrels and rabbits, which is totally understandable. The basset was adorable but everyone complained about his barking so often! He was a great guard dog.

I am thinking this weekend we should fire up the grill. Love to grill in the winter (hubby doesn't) . . . but this would be the perfect time to enjoy it one last round. I am going to pretend I am in Florida, lol.
Lets hope we all have sun with this warm weather in NC this weekend. Carolina Blue skys make it feel even warmer. We grill all winter long and Spring and Summer oh yeah and Fall.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:52 PM

Today was truly a one heck of an awesome day. While we were on the beach enjoying a gorgeous warm January day our second grandchild was born. Was great finding out while we were on the beach with what was a decent size crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement