Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2014, 06:43 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Thanks for the recommendation, FERN!!!

We did watch this mini-series on Netflix and enjoyed it - Political Animals.

Political Animals (miniseries) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I got this from the library - enjoyed it. Now, who did this remind you of??????? The Clintons, perhaps? Couldn't believe the similarities.

Elen Burstyn's role - my kind of girl

Old 08-17-2014, 07:43 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I got this from the library - enjoyed it. Now, who did this remind you of??????? The Clintons, perhaps? Couldn't believe the similarities.

Elen Burstyn's role - my kind of girl
Yes, there were definitely shades of the Clintons in the episodes! A few gestures to LBJ at times, as well. A shade or two of Ted Kennedy and Kennedy kids, also.

Ellen Burstyn was fantastic! Her role was genius - rounded out the family dynamics.

We truly felt this was worth watching.

Politics and journalism . . . it is fascinating and so much of the action really did depict that symbiotic relationship quite well!

Old 08-17-2014, 11:38 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
The weather has just been beautiful lately ... not the "dog days" of August. Daytimes are clear and sunny upper 70's, nighttimes in the low '60's ... no A/C required at all. Yesterday I wandered around with a friend, there was free live jazz music in Eakins Oval (in front of the Art Museum) and a temporary beer garden was set up, and we chatted with a bunch of tourists from foreign countries.

Labor Day is coming early this year and it seems summer will be over soon.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:07 PM

It seems too good to be true . . . but hubby's demeanor has greatly improved. I would think it would be way too early to know if the meds are helping or if he simply is monitoring himself better . . . but he is markedly more patient, less short-tempered, more mellow and calm. He is much less compulsive and less likely to be overly perfectionistic about every tiny detail of our lives. He is even resting better at night.

He asked me if I thought the reason he was feeling better could be the meds. My thought is - what does HE think it is? He said he had no idea but that internally, he just doesn't feel so anxious and that he had noticed things that may have caused him to feel irritated weren't aggravating him now. He said, for example, that if he saw dishes sitting out (whether his or mine) on the countertop or in the sink, it used to make him feel so angry and now, he realized he saw dishes in the sink and thought - I think I will rinse those later and put them in the dishwasher (rather than getting angry).

I found him smiling to himself today and haven't seen that in many years. He was happily sorting through clothing (what to pack; what to give away - nothing much fits since he lost all that fluid in his chest/belly!). Three weeks ago he was angrily attacking a closet; today, he was patiently working on his tasks and very cheerful.

He has not so much as raised his voice in over a week. He has not "commanded" me to do anything, has not complained about meals. In all, he has been acting much more like the person I married - thoughtful, well-mannered, polite.

I have enjoyed his company very much the last week. So whatever it is, I am very grateful that hubby is enjoying life more, seems much more satisfied, less anxious and more optimistic and cheerful.

I really appreciate your advice and listening to me while I sorted this out in hopes of getting things back on track with my spouse. I am also very grateful to his docs, who listened and didn't try to minimize things - took it seriously and really cared about hubby's overall health, not just his cardiac health.

Hoping this is a good start towards hubby's happy retirement (or semi-retirement - he is still applying for jobs, lol).

Old 08-18-2014, 03:29 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Good news, ani.

In my neck of the woods, the weather is a 10+. Sunny, cool, slightly breezy, the best of being in New England. August is my favorite month, there's something about it. We went to Maine yesterday and had a really nice time running with the dogs on the beach (after 6 pm). We'll try to get up there again for three or four days in mid-Sept, when there's not so many people summering.

My feeling of personal calm as the summer draws down has been shaken by news events around the world, however. I used to live in St Louis and the crisis there is so disheartening. I'm torn between keeping up on developments and ignoring the news, but as a trained journalist it's hard for me to avoid current events. If I were there on the "beat" I'd probably be covering the story, but it's so dangerous a situation I'm glad I"m not.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Good news, ani.

In my neck of the woods, the weather is a 10+. Sunny, cool, slightly breezy, the best of being in New England. August is my favorite month, there's something about it. We went to Maine yesterday and had a really nice time running with the dogs on the beach (after 6 pm). We'll try to get up there again for three or four days in mid-Sept, when there's not so many people summering.

My feeling of personal calm as the summer draws down has been shaken by news events around the world, however. I used to live in St Louis and the crisis there is so disheartening. I'm torn between keeping up on developments and ignoring the news, but as a trained journalist it's hard for me to avoid current events. If I were there on the "beat" I'd probably be covering the story, but it's so dangerous a situation I'm glad I"m not.
Thank you, NEG!

It has been the most lovely summer here in NC. Today, a bit more humidity than I prefer. It is plain ole sticky.

Your time on the beach sounds magical!

Old 08-18-2014, 05:56 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Thank you, NEG!

It has been the most lovely summer here in NC. Today, a bit more humidity than I prefer. It is plain ole sticky.

Your time on the beach sounds magical!
Well, correction....the dogs ran with their "dad" and I waddled in the water. My running days are over.
There's nothing like the cold sea water to perk up one's spirits.

Do you get "Indian Summer" in NC? Here it's usually in Sept. I remember when I was a kid going to the first few days of school in Sept, overdressed by our mother in our brand new clothes, sweltering from the heat and dying to get home to change into shorts. No a.c. in those days (in fact, in New England, I don't know if they have a.c. in most schools even today).

For what it's worth, I checked the Farmers' Almanac about this winter. It's an El Nino year. I think that means a warmer winter in the PNW, with "wet events," and more snow for the Northeast. Everyone here remembers last winter all too well. I hope Florida doesn't sink into the ocean with the weight of all the Northerners who're going to be there in January, lol.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Well, correction....the dogs ran with their "dad" and I waddled in the water. My running days are over.
There's nothing like the cold sea water to perk up one's spirits.

Do you get "Indian Summer" in NC? Here it's usually in Sept. I remember when I was a kid going to the first few days of school in Sept, overdressed by our mother in our brand new clothes, sweltering from the heat and dying to get home to change into shorts. No a.c. in those days (in fact, in New England, I don't know if they have a.c. in most schools even today).

For what it's worth, I checked the Farmers' Almanac about this winter. It's an El Nino year. I think that means a warmer winter in the PNW, with "wet events," and more snow for the Northeast. Everyone here remembers last winter all too well. I hope Florida doesn't sink into the ocean with the weight of all the Northerners who're going to be there in January, lol.
We usually have an Indian Summer here (usually in Sept) but this year has been the mildest since I have moved back to NC. In fact, I can't remember a summer in the 70s this mild (in the Piedmont, especially).

I have soooo missed being in the mountains since having to relocate "headquarters" to Charlotte - I feel like I essentially missed out on summer, being stuck indoors between caretaking and now, packing up and running back and forth to the townhouse. (BTW - Wed, the countertops will be installed - finally - and I will take my first actual boxes of household goods! Woot! Progress!!!)

I keep thinking I should be able to take off a few days and just enjoy the summer before it slips away but I got in unexpected work that has to be done this week, so forget the mini-vacay.

I love Florida in January. Nothing like taking a break from the cold and heading to FL after Christmas. I don't know if we will be able to work that out this year but I sure would enjoy that little break. Seems to make it easier to get through til Spring.

El Nino typically means a lot of snow for us in western NC - piedmont as well as mountains! I hope not this year!!! I am keeping my fingers crossed for a mild winter.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:22 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
Quote:
It seems too good to be true . . . but hubby's demeanor has greatly improved. I would think it would be way too early to know if the meds are helping or if he simply is monitoring himself better . . . but he is markedly more patient, less short-tempered, more mellow and calm. He is much less compulsive and less likely to be overly perfectionistic about every tiny detail of our lives. He is even resting better at night.

Hoping this is a good start towards hubby's happy retirement (or semi-retirement - he is still applying for jobs, lol).

Such wonderful news. I join you in your hope that this is a good start and that the change for the better is a lasting one.

As for the weather here it is not pleasant. We've had lots of rain, thunderstorms (which are tough on one of my old dogs) and unfortunately the 10 day forecast calls for more of the same every day. The only thing that changes is the percentages which the Weather Underground is listing and they range from 50% to 80% every day. Even when it is not actually raining the sky is deeply overcast with low clouds that feel so oppressive. Good thing I can get my vitamin D in capsule form, it's not coming from the sun. At least the very long range forecast from Accuweather says we'll have lots of sunny days in September. Paws crossed.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Such wonderful news. I join you in your hope that this is a good start and that the change for the better is a lasting one.

As for the weather here it is not pleasant. We've had lots of rain, thunderstorms (which are tough on one of my old dogs) and unfortunately the 10 day forecast calls for more of the same every day. The only thing that changes is the percentages which the Weather Underground is listing and they range from 50% to 80% every day. Even when it is not actually raining the sky is deeply overcast with low clouds that feel so oppressive. Good thing I can get my vitamin D in capsule form, it's not coming from the sun. At least the very long range forecast from Accuweather says we'll have lots of sunny days in September. Paws crossed.
Oh my! I didn't realize you all were getting so much rain!!!

(And thank you so much for your good wishes).

I will have to check out the radar for your region - it sounds like there is a front that has settled in your area. That many days without sunlight is the pits!!!!!

I hope you and the furkids can get out and about and at least have some breaks with some sunshine. And maybe you will have a glorious Fall!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement