U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2014, 10:59 AM

6,148 posts, read 9,811,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I do that too but I don't worry so much about people at the lights. I sure do keep my eyes on those coming out of parking lots and driveways though. Sometimes they look like they are just going to keep coming and NOT stop and look! Probably another reason I mostly stay in the left/center lanes.
I often muse that I should walk around with magnets that say, "For your information, *pedestrians* have right-of-way!". I've lost count of the number of times I've nearly had my toes smashed by cars turning right on red or coming out of a driveway, and I wish I could slap one of those magnets on their fender. (And if it startles them a little or a lot, better yet!)

Old 10-06-2014, 11:10 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,587,458 times
Eek, oddstray, watch those toes!

Jean_ji, I have flannel sheets for guests, everyone who visits is down south now so they all freeze when they visit.

I am still running the fan in our room at night, mostly for the white noise.

I did break down and turn the heat on this morning. Filled the humidifier for the first time this season. I read somewhere that a humidifier can save as much as 28% on your heating bill. Dunno if it's true but I'll give it a try.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:31 AM

9,864 posts, read 11,426,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
I am still running the fan in our room at night, mostly for the white noise.
Is it noisy there? I thought you lived in the country. No more fans needed here for the next six months. I've had the door open during the daytime until about 7 P.M. This will soon change.

[qote=CCc girl;36768041]I did break down and turn the heat on this morning. Filled the humidifier for the first time this season. I read somewhere that a humidifier can save as much as 28% on your heating bill. Dunno if it's true but I'll give it a try.[/quote]Humid heat feels warmer; it's good for houseplants as well although you can create a microenvironment around them instead.

I have my first holiday decorations out; my autumn wreath is on the front door and my 30'' high witch is on a table. The witch waves her arms in a spooky way.

I have two chickens; they're living in my attached greenhouse. I need to think of names for them. Any ideas? They're both girls. There have been no problems with my cat or dog.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:46 PM

HiW, we're country but it's an old house that's right on the road. Sometimes the parrot acts up and DH is always in the other room watching TV too loudly. Fan is just easier than earplugs.

I always thought that it was so cool that you decorate for the seasons. Halloween used to be my favorite, it was my stepdads, too; since he passed I really haven't gotten back into it. Of course, having a pagan heart, most of the decorations stay up year round. (inside)

I don't do houseplants. Too many cats. And I have a black thumb.

Hmmm, chicken names. Church and Popeye come to mind What color are they? Since you are naming them I assume they are layers and not for the soup pot.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:42 PM

8,776 posts, read 10,013,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I often muse that I should walk around with magnets that say, "For your information, *pedestrians* have right-of-way!". I've lost count of the number of times I've nearly had my toes smashed by cars turning right on red or coming out of a driveway, and I wish I could slap one of those magnets on their fender. (And if it startles them a little or a lot, better yet!)
I don't walk around town so don't have that problem. I DO sometimes have a problem with people coming out of stores and walking into the parking lot though. The look neither right nor left, just start walking across and often on their cell phone. I watch them VERY carefully but I'd love to just slowly roll on up to them and blast my horn sometimes. If they jumped two feet I'd just shrug and smile. lol It really amazes me that so many people actually do that.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:49 AM

LOL Brat, it amazes me how people are so ignorant of the dangers while on their cell and walking. Perfect opportunity for a pickpocket or purse snatcher.

My Dad was on his phone, stepped off of a curb and nearly broke his ankle while on his cell walking.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:12 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,406,730 times
The foliage turn is off to a rather slow start here in Southern New England. The Northern New England states already have their color. This coming weekend is supposed to be the peak. Anyone wanting a spooky (goblins and witches) evening hay ride through apple orchards should come up now. Cider (soft and hard) is on the menu along with pumpkin pie. I hope to get to the Cape this weekend but concerned about traffic going and coming back. Will probably chance it because I don't want to stay home and rake the leaves.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:38 AM

8,776 posts, read 10,013,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
LOL Brat, it amazes me how people are so ignorant of the dangers while on their cell and walking. Perfect opportunity for a pickpocket or purse snatcher.

My Dad was on his phone, stepped off of a curb and nearly broke his ankle while on his cell walking.
Here, I think it's the mindset that the pedestrian does have the right of way, and that's true, but you'd think they'd care a bit more. I think in 25 years we've only had one incident of a purse snatcher and they didn't get away with it. lol

Old 10-07-2014, 10:32 AM

35,885 posts, read 68,244,406 times
Just thought I would mention . . . the town I am moving to has designated bike lanes on many streets. Bike lanes are a rarity in western NC. I am noticing this as I drive around town running errands (I was there yesterday taking care of things to do with renovations).

Also, I was surprised to notice yesterday that although the official bus stop sign is across the street from our townhouse complex, someone was standing right at the gates to the complex and the bus stopped to allow the person to cross the street safely. As far as I know, this is not a law in NC -- for oncoming traffic to stop for a city bus, as it is with school buses -- so I was very surprised to see this. In any case, I found it interesting that the bus would stop even if you are on the other side of the street. I hate taking buses anywhere b/c of all the stops and delays, but it is good to know that the bus stop is there in case I would ever need it.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:48 AM

negirl, I hope your getaway is fabulous. I haven't been to the Cape since I was a kid.

Brat, you must live in a very safe area. No purse snatching around here, either. Lots of shoplifting at the outlets in the summer when all the cityots come up.

ani, I have seen our city bus drivers do that. Bus drivers are a nice lot for the most part. (IMO)

The driveway is a carpet of pine needles. We're back up into the sixties with a southerly breeze. Florida dreaming..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement