Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2014, 03:30 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
negirl, I hope your getaway is fabulous. I haven't been to the Cape since I was a kid.

Brat, you must live in a very safe area. No purse snatching around here, either. Lots of shoplifting at the outlets in the summer when all the cityots come up.

ani, I have seen our city bus drivers do that. Bus drivers are a nice lot for the most part. (IMO)

The driveway is a carpet of pine needles. We're back up into the sixties with a southerly breeze. Florida dreaming..........
When is the big move to FL? Do you have to go through another winter here??

Old 10-08-2014, 05:29 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
Yes, we have way too much stuff to get there this year. Silly me, I thought I could do it in a year.

With out 21 years here and his 15+ classic Cub Cadet tractor collection we have our work cut out for us. The plan was to dismantle and sell off half of them as parts, but as our Labor Day 2015 deadline nears we will probably have to Craigslist them as wholes just to move them.

Mom wants us there so badly she offered to write a check for their value, but I don't want the move to cost her 20K and have her regret it.

I have already sold, consigned, and donated my extensive Corning Ware and Corelle inventory, as well as my huge Fenton hobnail milk glass collection.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:09 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
negirl, I hope your getaway is fabulous. I haven't been to the Cape since I was a kid.

Brat, you must live in a very safe area. No purse snatching around here, either. Lots of shoplifting at the outlets in the summer when all the cityots come up.

ani, I have seen our city bus drivers do that. Bus drivers are a nice lot for the most part. (IMO)

The driveway is a carpet of pine needles. We're back up into the sixties with a southerly breeze. Florida dreaming..........
I think I do live in a safe area. We don't have gangs, home invasions and all that stuff although something like that might happen once every few years with idiots dealing drugs or something. I DO hear about the shoplifters but that's because I work at Walmart. That's mostly kids but a few adults have been caught. There are only about 45,000 people in a very large area here...about 12,000 in the town I actually live in...and I think I see most of them every month. lol

Gads, don't mention pine needles! My yard is full of them too!

Old 10-09-2014, 07:37 AM

LOL, I gave up raking years ago. Let Mother Nature take care of it.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
LOL, I gave up raking years ago. Let Mother Nature take care of it.
Yeah, natural mulch! lol That's what I tell my mom. Our soil is so bad around here the leaves and pine needles HAVE to be good for it.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:42 AM

It makes the soil acidic. Hosta, violets, peony, lilies love it.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
It makes the soil acidic. Hosta, violets, peony, lilies love it.
Exactly! I always said that's why my gardens in No. Idaho were so fantastic. When I moved there the land had 8 years worth of 'natures mulch' after the last owners. I said all I had to do was toss the seeds in the ground and jump back! lol Potatoes did extremely well. Of course Idaho has always been known for their potatoes but I didn't believe it so much till I saw it.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:59 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Mary, a woman in her early 60's who lives in Lake Worth, FL came up to visit me this week. She was a college roommate of mine when we shared a 2 bedroom apartment near the campus. That was exactly 40 years ago.

Mary is passionate about flowers, plants, trees, horticulture, and gardening. So guess what we did? For the past two days we schlepped all over the Philly region going to gardens: Longwood Gardens, Chanticleer Gardens, the Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania, etc. Exhausting but fun! We covered miles on foot. Fortunately the weather was gorgeous - low 70's, clear deep blue cloudless skies, a gentle breeze. The trees are mostly green but the first little splashes of autumn color can be seen here and there.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:13 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Mary, a woman in her early 60's who lives in Lake Worth, FL came up to visit me this week. She was a college roommate of mine when we shared a 2 bedroom apartment near the campus. That was exactly 40 years ago.

Mary is passionate about flowers, plants, trees, horticulture, and gardening. So guess what we did? For the past two days we schlepped all over the Philly region going to gardens: Longwood Gardens, Chanticleer Gardens, the Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania, etc. Exhausting but fun! We covered miles on foot. Fortunately the weather was gorgeous - low 70's, clear deep blue cloudless skies, a gentle breeze. The trees are mostly green but the first little splashes of autumn color can be seen here and there.
You are such a good friend, CP. I know you all had a wonderful time! I have been to Longwood Gardens as a child, but not to the others. Or at least, I THINK I have been to Longwood. Maybe my parents would remember. I had an Aunt/Uncle who lived in a 'burb of Philly and they took us on many trips over the years when I was growing up -- and I am about positive it was Longwood.

In any case, it sounds like a lot of walking and a lot of beautiful specimens to check out with your friend Mary.

So wonderful that you had ideal weather!

Old 10-10-2014, 03:12 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:

With out 21 years here and his 15+ classic Cub Cadet tractor collection we have our work cut out for us. The plan was to dismantle and sell off half of them as parts, but as our Labor Day 2015 deadline nears we will probably have to Craigslist them as wholes just to move them.

I have already sold, consigned, and donated my extensive Corning Ware and Corelle inventory, as well as my huge Fenton hobnail milk glass collection.
It's so sad that you're giving away beautiful and treasured things.

You couid put the Cub Cadets in a large rental truck, even building a rack for a double decked load that you could set up with a forklift. The rental agents should know of a place to do this. You could also check with truckers. If someone has a run to Florida you might be able to make a deal.

If you must sell what he loves, please at least take them to a farm show where they'll find good homes (and you'll get much more money for them).

You might also consider keeping your New York home for a couple of years should Florida not be the paradise you remember. I'm not being negative, just realistic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I think I do live in a safe area. We don't have gangs, home invasions and all that stuff although something like that might happen once every few years with idiots dealing drugs or something. I DO hear about the shoplifters but that's because I work at Walmart. That's mostly kids but a few adults have been caught. There are only about 45,000 people in a very large area here...about 12,000 in the town I actually live in...and I think I see most of them every month. lol

Gads, don't mention pine needles! My yard is full of them too!
Except for pine needles, your place seems just like mine. Shoplifting raises our crime rate, but we have virtually no serious crime. I'm sure that there are bar fights, but I don't see them often on the police blotter.

The next Walmarts are one hundred miles north and one hundred and forty miles south, nothing east or west for at least two hundred miles. People come from the Bighorn Desert towns to shop there.

Quote:
HiW, we're country but it's an old house that's right on the road. Sometimes the parrot acts up and DH is always in the other room watching TV too loudly. Fan is just easier than earplugs.

I always thought that it was so cool that you decorate for the seasons. Halloween used to be my favorite, it was my stepdads, too; since he passed I really haven't gotten back into it. Of course, having a pagan heart, most of the decorations stay up year round. (inside)

I don't do houseplants. Too many cats. And I have a black thumb.

Hmmm, chicken names. Church and Popeye come to mind What color are they? Since you are naming them I assume they are layers and not for the soup pot.
Decorations bring back so many good memories. Some of the decorations are years older than I am. I'm sure that there are people who think I'm childish and silly, but I don't care. I just wish that my love were still here to do it with me.

I have fences in the house; one is a ten foot ell 30'' high. They're very light so I can easily move them. There will definitely be one around the Christmas tree.

The chickens are Production Reds. Their names are Mealworm because she loves mealworms and Watermelon because she likes melon. She hasn't yet had any watermelon. I'm looking for a rooster, but I may have to wait until spring when there'll be unwanted roosters,. If I don't get one, it's likely that one of the hens will take that role and stop laying. I've had four eggs so the two of them must be happy. Two eggs were small; one was medium; one was almost large. I doubt that one of them laid all four. They tasted good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement