Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2013, 07:46 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
You go granny Congratulations!! Check in later and let us know - boy(s) girl(s)? Names, etc... I guess you won't be moving anywhere for a while.
Thanks for all the well-wishes. The girls are three weeks early but looking and doing fine. Their faces are just beautiful and their bodies look strong, their little arms chunky. They'll be in for another few weeks, while their parents will go home tomorrow. I'm very proud of my DIL, who had a very long and hard labor but held out for natural deliveries. She and my son have been together in hospital since last weekend with very little sleep. I saw so many young parents in the ICU next to their babies in incubators, the moms in wheelchairs, obviously lacking sleep. What parents do in order to birth us into the world, what they go through... I also saw many grandparents our age holding teddy bears and flowers and hugging and crying for joy in the waiting room. I think about how people are birthed all over the world every minute every day....and those who keep the newly born safe...all unsung heroes.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:21 PM

I can't believe this - our governor has just now placed a ban on all travel on any roads or highways after 4:00 pm today. imo the "blizzard" is not that bad, at least not yet, we have only an inch or so on the ground and visibility is decent. When I was growing up here we'd get a foot or two or more of snow and the schools would only be delayed an hour, or canceled for a day, but no travel bans. I appreciate the precaution but this mandate seems to be an overreaction. I was planning on going uptown to see the movie Silver Linings this afternoon but now am housebound. The dogs are frolicking out back. It's going to be a long Friday night, and netflix didn't deliver today. Anyone else in any "blizzard" conditions?

Old 02-08-2013, 02:33 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
We just had a little bit of drizzle down our way. Not that we were expecting snow, but the rain wasn't as bad as some had predicted.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:26 PM

5:30 and it's coming down steady but not a "blizzard" yet by any means. It's supposed to ratchet up tonight into tomorrow for up to 3 feet. A lot of weather predictions don't come true these days. WF and TJ and other markets were a madhouse yesterday, and today closed...it seems like the end of the world, lol. I'd hate to see what it would be like if it were the end of the world. We boomers will have our overpriced organic veg's and "natural" processed foods to the end of time! Bostonians and Mainers, what's happening where you are, any real accumulation?

Old 02-08-2013, 04:39 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Just heard about the ban on driving in MA - a $500.00 fine or 1 year in jail What if you have to go somewhere for work or to rescue a kid? We have never had a ban on driving here, even during our very worst storms. They tell you to stay off the roads but that's it.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Just heard about the ban on driving in MA - a $500.00 fine or 1 year in jail What if you have to go somewhere for work or to rescue a kid? We have never had a ban on driving here, even during our very worst storms. They tell you to stay off the roads but that's it.
It's ridiculous.In my part of the state there is 2" of snow on the ground. I think the governor was having an early happy hour, but that said, he is in Boston, the center of the universe.

"It hasn't been decided exactly which part of the constitution [Governor] Patrick is usurping, but the state's libertarian party promises clarification when their lawsuit is filed as soon as they are able to drive to the courthouse...."

Old 02-08-2013, 05:09 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
NEG: just wanted to relay my congrats on your becoming a Grandmother! I hope all is well with babies and momma.

I have a friend in NYC who texted me last nite to say they were expecting (possibly) up to 2 feet of snow! I haven't checked to see if that Nor'easter prediction had changed. I sure hope everyone is safe!

Our airport here in Charlotte cancelled flights to La Guardia and Newark (and I am told - to many other NE airports) before lunch today.

I hope this storm does not turn out to be as robust as many are thinking it might get.

"NEMO"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/weathe...zzard/1900077/

Old 02-10-2013, 06:47 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,795 times
Belated congratulations to Grandma NEG (we were away during the snow and the manhunt all over our town, and had no access to the computer.) Hope mom and dad are able to find a nap now and then.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:15 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Ol' Wanderer, so glad you checked in. I've been wondering how you were.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:06 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,795 times
Thanks, Caladium. We left on Thursday morning, not knowing that two hours later, the whole town would be shut down. Came back this afternoon to see two feet of snow and a large amount of tourists (most of them were probably curiosity seekers) walking around aimlessly.

And life goes on. Strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement