Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2013, 01:52 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Which means wearing the dressy coat, not my warmest winter coat that makes me look like a giant snowball.
When my husband was 18, he bought a North Face goose down compressible jacket, light as a feather, on sale for a couple hundred dollars (a lot of money back then.) Forty five years later, the goose down is still fluffy, the jacket is still compressible into a small pouch, it still keeps him warm in below-zero weather, and of course, it still makes him look like a giant snowball. A giant red snowball.

For the price of that jacket, we figure he paid about $5 per winter. Or less. By the look of it, that jacket will not have any problem surviving both of us.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:15 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
When my husband was 18, he bought a North Face goose down compressible jacket, light as a feather, on sale for a couple hundred dollars (a lot of money back then.) Forty five years later, the goose down is still fluffy, the jacket is still compressible into a small pouch, it still keeps him warm in below-zero weather, and of course, it still makes him look like a giant snowball. A giant red snowball.

For the price of that jacket, we figure he paid about $5 per winter. Or less. By the look of it, that jacket will not have any problem surviving both of us.
This is why I believe buying quality is so important. It's more $$ upfront but in the end it actually costs you less. I think this is true with most things.

Last edited by Umbria; 02-21-2013 at 02:25 PM..

Old 02-21-2013, 02:23 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Very true--for years we bought a cheapo coffee maker once a year. Then about 8 years ago we "splurged" and spent twice as much for a better made one. Considering that it's lasted at least 8 years and the other ones lasted about a year, it was money well spent.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Very true--for years we bought a cheapo coffee maker once a year. Then about 8 years ago we "splurged" and spent twice as much for a better made one. Considering that it's lasted at least 8 years and the other ones lasted about a year, it was money well spent.
I bought a black leather down filled jacket from Eddie Bauer 25 years ago. It was expensive but it is still my favorite winter jacket and so warm. It looks brand new.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:06 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I bought a black leather down filled jacket from Eddie Bauer 25 years ago. It was expensive but it is still my favorite winter jacket and so warm. It looks brand new.
Are you getting the Midwest snow blast? Are you wearing the long underwear?? This past week I've had my Cuddle Duds on underneath my Duofolds to walk the dogs. We are getting another big snow on Sat. I think we'll be wearing jackets and boots for a while.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:01 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
This past week I've had my Cuddle Duds on underneath my Duofolds to walk the dogs.
I just checked out the two websites. It looks to me they offer the same kind of products, and if that's the case, does that mean you were wearing two layers of the same thing?

Old 02-21-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Are you getting the Midwest snow blast? Are you wearing the long underwear?? This past week I've had my Cuddle Duds on underneath my Duofolds to walk the dogs. We are getting another big snow on Sat. I think we'll be wearing jackets and boots for a while.
The storm is missing us, again. We are to get some snow, but nothing like I'm hearing others states are getting. I don't have Cuddle Duds or Duofolds, just some silk long johns, but those are warm. I have my mom's Eddie Bauer down coat - it's really a jacket but on me it's a coat and really warm - i use this when I'm out with the dogs. I put sweat pants over my jeans.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
I just checked out the two websites. It looks to me they offer the same kind of products, and if that's the case, does that mean you were wearing two layers of the same thing?
Two layers this past week, first the Cuddle Duds longies (softer and lighter, but still warm) and on top, the Duofolds. This means I can barely move, what with my clothes on the very top but they are all thin layers (I ditched my heavy clothing years ago). The secret to staying warm is....layering. You can doff the Duofolds and sleep in the Cuddle Duds with wool socks. This has taken me some time to configure, but it works.

Last edited by RiverBird; 02-21-2013 at 07:41 PM..

Old 02-21-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
This is the look I'm going for next winter (yeah I know, in my dreams, but I'm working on it).

GoLocalProv | Beauty & Fashion | 5 Ways To Look Great In Cold Weather

Old 02-21-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
This is the look I'm going for next winter (yeah I know, in my dreams, but I'm working on it).

GoLocalProv | Beauty & Fashion | 5 Ways To Look Great In Cold Weather
Very 40s look - nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement