Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2013, 09:30 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times

Advertisements

Woke up this morning to 2" of snow on the ground, sitting in front of the fireplace having coffee reading the paper. So glad to be retired and happy! Since it's gloomy and snowing today, I'm going to finish a book I've been reading. As Henry Bemis once said, "there's time now, time enough at last."

Old 02-26-2013, 09:59 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,376,409 times
It's a good day for the car to still be in the shop since we have ice everywhere.

Two of the dogs went sprawling on the covered back deck before they even got to the steps out to the back yard. Seeing that the other 3 dogs hardly wanted to go out the door but I pushed them out. Wouldn't go any further and so I'll have some "accidents" to clean up there tomorrow when the weather breaks.

Meanwhile, a cozy fire and a couple of good books to choose from have me set for the day.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:48 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Curmudgeon and other Midwest friends, how are you doing in this big snowstorm??

A friend from mid-Missouri said they've gotten over a foot so far, with power lines down in some areas.

Anyone checking in re: the storm from TX or OK?

Old 02-26-2013, 06:20 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Two of the dogs went sprawling on the covered back deck before they even got to the steps out to the back yard. Seeing that the other 3 dogs hardly wanted to go out the door but I pushed them out. Wouldn't go any further and so I'll have some "accidents" to clean up there tomorrow when the weather breaks.

That reminds me of the time, about 20 years ago, when I was coming home from work occasionally to find dog pee and poop in the kitchen, right inside the doggie door. I couldnt figure out what was going on, as my adult dog was definitely housebroken. Then, one day, I was home from work and it was raining. I watched as my very-obedient, very-clean dog stuck his head out the doggie door and went potty as his working end was still inside. Apparently he felt that, if his nose were getting wet, that was good enough.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:54 PM

971 posts, read 1,453,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Curmudgeon and other Midwest friends, how are you doing in this big snowstorm??

A friend from mid-Missouri said they've gotten over a foot so far, with power lines down in some areas.

Anyone checking in re: the storm from TX or OK?
The upper end of the lake started with rain which melted any remaining snow. A couple hours af spitting snow resulted in no accuulation. Roads should freeze dry tonight. Most of our snow was north of I-44 and a bit East. I heard there were some power outages in the boot-heal areas.

Bluff

Old 02-27-2013, 09:46 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
Went to a jazz concert at a local Middle School. Talked to some of my nieces young friends. It was like the Ewoks sitting around Jar Jar Binks. Yes kids, I remember when there was no microwave ovens or cell phones. "Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww." All wide eyed. Too funny.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:10 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
We had almost no snow this year here in Philly. There was one snowfall of about an inch, maybe an inch and a half, a few days after Christmas. We did have several bone chilling days last month where it got down into the teens (rare for this area, it's hardly ever below 20.) Today was positively an early spring day, sunny, in the 50's.

I was on patrol on the campus a couple of days ago and one of the students was talking to another student - behind my back - and he called me really old and said I should be retired. (For the record I'm 58, and won't retire for another 5 years).

Old 02-28-2013, 02:46 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post

I was on patrol on the campus a couple of days ago and one of the students was talking to another student - behind my back - and he called me really old and said I should be retired. (For the record I'm 58, and won't retire for another 5 years).
Meh, what do they know? To them, 27 is over the hill. One of my neighbors is upset about this 24 year old girl they know who just got engaged because the guy told her she was getting old and he might be her very last chance. Can you believe people still fall for lines like that? They tried to tell her she was making a mistake, and that she isn't even remotely near a time she needs to worry about "her last chance." Not to mention that's a terrible reason to get married and that she'll learn some tough lessons the hard way. But she's convinced she's old and needs to settle.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:27 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,376,409 times
Just got home from delivering the second of my two foster dogs to her new home. She was a Treeing Walker hound and had been with me for almost 10 months. Yesterday I'd taken my little Feist to her new home.

So it's just me and my own three old dogs for a little while. I heard that the pound is nearly empty too so maybe a little break from fostering. Won't last too long since one of our other foster people is having major back surgery on April 1 and will be out of commission for at least two months.

I'll enjoy the respite while I can.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:44 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
This is where the old fashioned notion of a curse comes in....put one on him..."May you go prematurely grey and have to wear false teeth when you hit 50, a pox on all your romances," etc etc. I wouldn't stand for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement