Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 05:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
On CD, how do you register negative feedback?
Jealousy will get you nowhere NEG.

Your spring will come. My brother lives in Long Island and we always joke about our vegetables.
When he tells me he's ready to plant I tell him I'm harvesting already.

Our last frost date is 3/17.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:09 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
Quote:
On CD, how do you register negative feedback?
It won't be of any use to you who are still plagued with snow, but I can one-up, in case that offers you any comfort ....

We've already eaten tomatoes from our tomato plants.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:06 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Your spring will come. My brother lives in Long Island and we always joke about our vegetables.

What's a frost date?

Old 04-10-2015, 06:09 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,759,139 times
Quote:
I'm going to go out and shake my trees till they leaf! and stick plastic tulips in the ground!
I would but I would be showered by ice! It's sliding off of the roof and it sounds like a freight train!

Quote:
My tomato plants have flowers today

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
Our Dogwoods have started to bloom. Daffodils started over a week ago. We have lots of primrose and phlox. The tulips haven't yet but we are about 800 ft above Asheville where the tulips seem to be out full force. Will run by the Biltmore next week to see the flowers D Abby exhibit. We are sitting on our deck right now , with cocktails and kindled enjoying the view and breeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
The weeping cherry tree is almost full of beautiful, delicate pinkish white blossoms. No sooner does it reach this lovely state then we get a couple of days of thunderstorms with some good winds and all but a few of the blooms are gone. We are having our first t-storm of the spring season, with more to follow in the coming days.

Sorry to hear that you're still getting snow up in NE. Perhaps putting away the shovels in early April is just tempting fate and one should wait a few extra weeks.
That's why I still have one shovel out and the heavy gloves and boots by the back door. Gloves are going in the burn barrel soon, ripped and beat to shreds.

Quote:

LOL our date is 5/30

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
It won't be of any use to you who are still plagued with snow, but I can one-up, in case that offers you any comfort ....

We've already eaten tomatoes from our tomato plants.
Wow odd, you should post a pic!!!!!

On a lighter note, we are in for some 50's today. Finally salad weather! I know I will see some folks wearing shorts today in town. Crazy what fifty feels like after 20's and 30's.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:19 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times
Quote:
Perhaps putting away the shovels in early April is just tempting fate and one should wait a few extra weeks.
Yup.
Just like desert people shouldn't clean and store their floor fans until Halloween

Old 04-10-2015, 11:56 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,197,335 times
We had a lot of rain this year and my yard, most of a desert acre, was carpeted in yellow flowers. The bees, killer bees, were in heaven, but my poor dog became scared of them after he was apparently stung. The sound of a buzzing insect terrifies him at certain times of day. Since they stung him while he was drinking water, he won't drink out of his water dish unless I carry it to another spot in the yard. Next week somebody will come and remove all the flowers near the house. But now trees are blooming all over and the bees like them too.
I'm just hoping the bees don't decide to build a hive too close by. They get really aggressive protecting their hives.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:04 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Quote:
The weeping cherry tree is almost full of beautiful, delicate pinkish white blossoms. No sooner does it reach this lovely state then we get a couple of days of thunderstorms with some good winds and all but a few of the blooms are gone. We are having our first t-storm of the spring season, with more to follow in the coming days.
Just around the corner from my house on the same block is a gorgeous brick c.1880 Victorian in the "Queen Anne Style" (it has circular corner turret) and very fancy brick work. In the front yard is a tall (about 3 stories or 30 feet) weeping cherry tree that is gorgeous. The pale pink flowers almost have a hint of lavender giving it what I would call an "orchid pink" color. The owner of the house was an African American middle-aged lady in her early 50's and her two college aged daughters. She was an author ... a notable one: L.A. Banks. Her first name was Leslie and she was very friendly and I was in her house many times. Leslie wrote - get this! - vampire romance novels.

Sadly, Leslie passed away a couple of years ago.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:15 PM

6,355 posts, read 7,763,619 times
Default What a 'Wake Up' call!

So, I had to rescue some 'stuff' that belongs to my daughter and was in a storage garage that had a past due balance. In fact, the next day, it was going to be seized and sold for past rent. Since there were some family heirlooms in with her stuff, I paid the past due and took everything to my house.

The understanding is that it is now 'my stuff', and she would not have access to any of it. All the while, I planned to give everything to her when she was more settled. Well, she's not really 'more settled', but is coming to get her 'stuff' next month anyway. That's okay because I want it gone. Have to get the house in order to sell so that I can retire next year.

Yesterday, I priced U-Haul trucks and PODS containers. The prices blew me away! $1500 to $2000 for a truck, (one way from SoCal to central Colorado), and the PODS was almost $3,000.

What this has shown me is that I really, really need to 'downsize' now because when I retire next year, I too will be moving a bunch of states away from where I am now . . . and most of my stuff is not worth the expense to move. I'm even thinking about getting new furniture after I relocate. Except for the piano, most if it isn't worth moving.

I have always lived in SoCal and every move has been done with a U-Haul and my own muscle. These were all short distance moves. Never had the slightest idea a long distance move was so expensive.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:43 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post

I have always lived in SoCal and every move has been done with a U-Haul and my own muscle. These were all short distance moves. Never had the slightest idea a long distance move was so expensive.
Having moved twice halfway across the country and back, on our own with a U-Haul, I can relate to the cost and the effort involved. If you're just getting a pod to get stuff out of the house so you can sort through the stuff while the house on the market, buying a huge storage tent is less expensive. If you're having stuff hauled away in the pod, up here the cost goes by the pound. Is all that stuff worth hauling to a new location?

Old 04-10-2015, 07:25 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post

Yesterday, I priced U-Haul trucks and PODS containers. The prices blew me away! $1500 to $2000 for a truck, (one way from SoCal to central Colorado), and the PODS was almost $3,000.

What this has shown me is that I really, really need to 'downsize' now because when I retire next year, I too will be moving a bunch of states away from where I am now . . . and most of my stuff is not worth the expense to move. I'm even thinking about getting new furniture after I relocate. Except for the piano, most if it isn't worth moving.
When you are ready to commit call U-Haul as well as Ryder and Penske. They have deals, often very good deals, when they need to move trucks to other locations. U-Haul is particularly good, but you must act at the time.

When I moved here I wanted to bring a truck up and leave it before I made a final move. Getting back would have been very expensive and inconvenient to boot. When I asked about a one way they offered me a round trip at a much lower price. That was luck.

You cannot make these deals with the local dealer; you must call the main office of the company itself.

Good furniture is very expensive. Think twice before you make that investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement