Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2015, 09:01 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times

Advertisements

Is it ok if i vent for a moment? As many of you know & gotten tired of I'm sure, my injuries from the car accident, well, I stupidly went with a lawyer who suggested that I sign for a dismassal of furth err costs & signed a form to release the funds. Now vBulletin, 3 years after the event, he wants me to settle for $40,000 andhe, of course will get $50,000. Oh, and there's still $30,000 under litigation.

What a blow it was to receive his letter with $30,000 and the memo line saying full & final. I just wanted to cry, & still do.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:03 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
I should also say that I am not willing to sign that check.

Old 05-23-2015, 02:19 AM

30,525 posts, read 16,222,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Is it ok if i vent for a moment? As many of you know & gotten tired of I'm sure, my injuries from the car accident, well, I stupidly went with a lawyer who suggested that I sign for a dismassal of furth err costs & signed a form to release the funds. Now vBulletin, 3 years after the event, he wants me to settle for $40,000 andhe, of course will get $50,000. Oh, and there's still $30,000 under litigation.

What a blow it was to receive his letter with $30,000 and the memo line saying full & final. I just wanted to cry, & still do.

Am I understanding this: the lawyer got you $40,000 but you owe him $50,000 so you still need another $10,000 for the lawyer?

I hope I'm missing something here.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:26 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
Thanks, NY2gal; the pneumonia is touch and go; some days he's on top of the world, others, he's knocked for a loop. The pharmacist says this is common, two steps forward, one step back. It will take months.

meo, that sucks. Sounds like you need a lawyer to go after your lawyer.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:55 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
CCc girl: I'll keep you and your husband in my thoughts and prayers!!

Have not seen anything from brokensky in a while..... I hope she and her husband are OK.

I made up my mind, finally!! Going to move to Winston-Salem. Had some doubts for a while; looked into VA and didn't find anything I could afford that I liked. Decided on an apartment that I had seen when I visited W-S but went on to look at others. Well, it all boils down to area, layout, price, etc. So many things to think about. And I like the idea it is close to Hanes Mall.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:49 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I made up my mind, finally!! Going to move to Winston-Salem. Had some doubts for a while; looked into VA and didn't find anything I could afford that I liked. Decided on an apartment that I had seen when I visited W-S but went on to look at others. Well, it all boils down to area, layout, price, etc. So many things to think about. And I like the idea it is close to Hanes Mall.
NYgal, when I sold my place I had to be out quickly, so I drove across the state (long drive for me ) to find a place to live in the town I had chosen. I was on my way home again without having settled on a place when I turned around and went back and rented one I had seen and liked well enough. I did get the management company to give me a short lease because I wasn't sure I would be satisfied, but I am still here 6 years later.

Good luck. Once you make the big leap, it gets easier.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:59 PM

Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
NYgal, when I sold my place I had to be out quickly, so I drove across the state (long drive for me ) to find a place to live in the town I had chosen. I was on my way home again without having settled on a place when I turned around and went back and rented one I had seen and liked well enough. I did get the management company to give me a short lease because I wasn't sure I would be satisfied, but I am still here 6 years later.

It was so good to read your post! Trying to decide really had me rattled. But once I made my decision I felt so much better. I'll probably stay where I'm going (Ambercrest apartments) for a while. While I don't want to live within city limits, I like being able to get there and back home in a short trip. When I visited a couple of weeks ago I bought a GPS and that was wonderful. I am absolutely not familiar with the area but I am looking forward to checking it all out. The GPS will take me home when I'm ready.

Something occurred to me today that kind of surprised me. Probably nothing to it, but I have settled on Winston-Salem and the company my father worked at was W&S Scale Company in Syracuse, NY.

Coincidence?

Old 05-23-2015, 04:15 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post

This is a nice reassurance. Sometimes "well enough" turns out to be enough.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:20 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
[color=Green][b]
I deeply believe in intuition and that "first" intuitions are pretty close to "right on." It's when we start to second-guess ourselves that we get thrown off track. When I use my intuition about a big decision I always wind up saying, in the end, "Good choice, NEg!" The times I don't say this are when I overthought something and made a different choice, ignoring my first decision.

On our NC trips, we didn't get to W-S, but did notice that the location is great. Seems to be a lot of arts there too. Did you check out the senior center and amenities?

Old 05-23-2015, 06:22 PM

Default Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I deeply believe in intuition and that "first" intuitions are pretty close to "right on." It's when we start to second-guess ourselves that we get thrown off track. When I use my intuition about a big decision I always wind up saying, in the end, "Good choice, NEg!" The times I don't say this are when I overthought something and made a different choice, ignoring my first decision.

On our NC trips, we didn't get to W-S, but did notice that the location is great. Seems to be a lot of arts there too. Did you check out the senior center and amenities?
You are so right about intuition (also known as listening to your gut). When I first thought about leaving NY I knew I wanted to go to NC. I went back and forth between Greensboro and W-S, and after discussing a lot on this site and just thinking about it, I started to feel that W-S was the right place. After visiting here and seeing a lot of apartments (including the one I have settled on), I got a little bad taste about how some of the complexes use MAA Connect. Can't remember what the MAA stands for, but it is a service that costs $50/month. And it is a service I can do without. For that extra $50 I can do something I much prefer. And there is no choice about taking it.
So my new place will be a little older, a little smaller, but I am betting I will be more comfortable there.
I'm trying to stop second guessing..... been told I do that a lot. I may be reaching for the moon but I want a peaceful, happy, fulfilling life in my next home.
Oh, yes I did contact one of the senior groups and heard back from someone encouraging me to stop by to see what is offered and to sign up for what interests me. Thank you for that suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement