Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2015, 09:07 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I read some really terrible reviews about the apartment complex I selected. Think I need to reconsider. ...
I'm sure you already know this, but, read all the reviews, not just the extreme ones. There's always going to be someone who isn't pleased, and those people are more likely to post bad reviews than people who are content.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:27 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I'm sure you already know this, but, read all the reviews, not just the extreme ones. There's always going to be someone who isn't pleased, and those people are more likely to post bad reviews than people who are content.
You make a good point regarding the negative comments. But in a particular ratings site I looked at, it received almost entirely negative reports.

I'll keep looking though.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:13 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
On a sad note, one of the City-Data moderators, Elk Hunter, died within the last week. There is an official notification in the Wyoming forum by another moderator. Apparently many posters who live in Wyoming knew him personally (in real life). I am wondering if Happy in Wyoming was among them?

Old 06-01-2015, 09:50 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
When I began the Nostalgia thread with a tale of the stick pen there were all sorts of responses. I thought that we really had something. Therefore, I introduced the topic of shaving expecting more of the same. Sadly, there was nothing.

There must be at least ten fora devoted to the topic. There are podcasts, youtube videos, and more. There must be literally hundreds of businesses, large and small, marketing artisanal shaving products including creams and soaps, brushes, and scents. Auctions for older safety razors are bringing higher and higher prices. Yet old people don't seem to care.

In the past twenty years or so shaving has gone from an insignificant expense to an absurdly high one. Men in droves have returned to the traditional safety razor along with brush and lather. I don't know what ladies do today to remove hair from armpits and legs; They used to use essentially the same razors and blades as men.

What's the deal? Are old men spending a fortune on the new and inferior gimmick razors or do they all use electric razors? Do older gentlewomen allow their bodies to become hirsute for the first time in several thousand years?

This old man uses a double edge safety razor and can choose from hundreds of brands of blades from around the world. What do you do?

A century ago Henry Fowler opined that gentlewoman implied decayed gentlewoman. That's OK. Let's hear from both the decayed and the undecayed. H.P. Lovecraft used both adjectives to describe family branches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9KVfn2-EEU

Who doesn't remember Gillette Blue Blades? When we thought about razor blades we thought about Gillette. Gem single edge were for scraping paint from glass.

Gillette double edge blades are still made...in Russia. Does anyone in this country still make double edge edge razor bladdes? It may surprise some, but the answer is that the American Safety Razor Company still does. That's the outfit that formed in 1906 with the merger of Gem and Eversharp. They never changed their name to some catchy modern name. Their name sounds like a traditional American name. They call their blades Personna. You can get them on the Walmart website but, sadly, not in the stores.

Personna 100 Pack Double Edge Stainless Steel Safety Razor Blades - Walmart.com

You can buy them in a dispenser, but they cost a fortune.

Personna 5 Pack Super Stainless Steel Double Edge Razor Blades Shaving Barber, 9010 - Walmart.com

Who makes a double edge razor in this country? No one. Safety razors are made all over the world but not here. I have a fine German Merkur; it's almost an exact copy of a Gillette open comb. I have my Gillettes as well. There are hundreds of brands of double edge blades in the world but only one in this country.

I started shaving when it was easy to get a good shave; it was cheap as well. What damsel didn't bring her double edge razor when she took her bath?

Does anyone else still use a traditional razor? What about a straight razor?

Does anyone remember the slots in bathroom walls in both private homes and hotels for used razor blades?

Modern plastic disposable everything isn't always the best. Compare a Bic to a Zippo.
//www.city-data.com/forum/retir...stalgia-2.html

Old 06-01-2015, 10:05 AM

Default Shaving (males)

Well, Happy in Wyoming, I have strong feelings of nostalgia about certain things, but shaving is not one of them. I have an electric razor (not one of the more expensive ones) which I use for daily shaving, and I buy packages of disposable blade razors for use if I have skipped shaving for a day or two. I get lots of shaves (20 or more, I imagine) out of a disposable razor before I dispose of it. I admit that throwing out the whole razor, as opposed to sliding in a new blade, is wasteful, but those seem to be the kind that are readily available without making a search. I use an aerosol can of shaving foam when I shave with the blade razor; it is cheap (about $3, if I recall correctly) and seems to last a long time (countless shaves).

My expense connected with shaving is negligible, and my attitude towards it is utilitarian and practical.

I have no quarrel with those who like to engage in historical practices - I'm just not interested when it comes to shaving. I have a cousin, a Civil War and history of the west buff, who once started shaving with a straight razor, using a brush and shaving soap. He told me he gave it up after a period of some months because it was too much trouble - time consuming and ultimately more nicks no matter how much practice he had at it.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:18 AM

Default Blogs on City-Data

I often forget I even have blogs on City-Data. They remain sort of hidden in the sense that we have to click on someone's user name (or our own) and then find and click on "Blogs" in order to see them. Does anyone else even have any?

I posted my first one a couple of years ago simply in order to keep, in a place I could easily find it again, a post to which I had given considerable thought and of which I was proud - the subject was Eurocentrism in history and education. I now have a total of five, one of which is a post by someone else which I liked a lot and simply wanted to keep, again about world history.

None of mine are very long. Today I took a look there, as I posted a new one - the fifth. I noticed for the first time that there is a count of the views and of the comments. (Hadn't even realized people could comment). There are several hundred views, but only one comment, an intelligent one by Clark Park.

I was just curious whether other posters here utilize the blog feature.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:33 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
This chap is a real enthusiast, but there's something for everyone here.

Ep. 1 -Out of the box - BrushnSoapnBlade ? Wet Shaving Podcast ? Where we look forward to shaving every day! | podcast garden

I found the following work fascinating. It shows just how much people yearned for freedom from the straight razor or daily trips to the barber. It's food for the intellectually curious. My appetite has never been satisfied.

Before Gillette: The Quest for a Safe Razor: Robert K. Waits: 9780557059102: Amazon.com: Books

Ladies, can you imagine shaving your armpits with a straight razor? How about plucking the hairs as our ancestors once did?

Old 06-01-2015, 03:54 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
I'm sure hairy women were all the rage back in the cave days

Old 06-01-2015, 05:05 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
I'm sure hairy women were all the rage back in the cave days
CCc girl: Love that sense of humor.

Good news!! I am going to have an apartment at Sherwood Station. Can move in when I need to. I am going to drive down mid-June, finish up business with Mary the manager, rest up a bit and drive back. Then to start packing, what to take, what to toss. Pretty excited.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:46 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
Awesome, NY2gal.

Question for anyone, when did you contact a realtor before moving? Months, weeks?

Moved the moving date to mid July. Still seems too soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement