Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2015, 06:32 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
The week of intense heat has abated up here and the cool breezes of August have arrived. Anyone thinking about a trip to the Northeast...Sept and Oct are the prime times to come. We have tons of Bed & Breakfasts and Inns, town and country. The ag fairs are starting up now and then the foliage turns. I think it'll be an outstanding year for colors as we've had a lot of rain and humidity. Vermont should be gorgeous.
Sounds wonderful. Due to work responsibilities at my job in south Florida, I have not seen Fall since 1978! Our Fall is quite warm, no cold snaps to color the leaves. We may get some Fall color in some of our trees during our 'winter' or early spring.

Now that I am retired, I am trying to figure out where I want to live during the next chapter of my life. I am originally from the Midwest and I miss the four seasons! I am tired of the heat and humidity that is here most of the year (well at least 7 months). I can probably count, on my two hands, the number of days during our Nov- March period, when the weather is 'crisp' and cool and just beautiful to be outdoors enjoying it.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:39 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Sounds wonderful. Due to work responsibilities at my job in south Florida, I have not seen Fall since 1978! Our Fall is quite warm, no cold snaps to color the leaves. We may get some Fall color in some of our trees during our 'winter' or early spring.

Now that I am retired, I am trying to figure out where I want to live during the next chapter of my life. I am originally from the Midwest and I miss the four seasons! I am tired of the heat and humidity that is here most of the year (well at least 7 months). I can probably count, on my two hands, the number of days during our Nov- March period, when the weather is 'crisp' and cool and just beautiful to be outdoors enjoying it.
I will say this, the Northeast has three-and-a-half fabulous seasons. The "half" is Nov-Dec of winter. I'm going to take classes and give some and continue to visit the gym and take day trips and be as busy as I can be so that the winter is just a background, as it is in Canada and other northern areas. I'm sick of allowing climate, specifically winter, to impact my life.
Attached Thumbnails
Chat Thread-800px-new_hampshire_colors.jpg  

Last edited by RiverBird; 08-22-2015 at 06:52 PM..

Old 08-22-2015, 09:32 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
This is how I post a photo:

1. I have a photo (in this case a picture of some stained glass windows in my center hall) on my internet photo album.

2. I upload the photo on a photo sharing site. I use tinypic.com (please note: I'm not sure if tinypic is accepting any new posters ... but there are dozens of other photo sharing sites).

3. Tinypic.com gives me a code for message boards (such as City-Data.com). The code is http://i43.tinypic.com/jsdl5g and add jpg.

4. I arrow and click on the "insert image" icon right above this message - approx. below the paperclip icon.

5. I type in the code ... and ... voila!

BTW how do you like my 120 year old house???

Thank you Clark Park. You have a very beautiful house. You take a wonderful picture of that room.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:37 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
RiverBird: That is a beautiful picture of changing leaves. I love that part of Fall. The part I hate is when the leaves start falling off the trees leaving them so stark naked. And of course with the change over from daylight savings, the earlier night is so depressing.

I think you have a great plan for getting through winter and keeping yourself happy. I'm hoping by the time winter gets here, I am employed and maybe even grumbling a bit for having to clean the car!

Old 08-23-2015, 09:18 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Some of you know I lost a cat in June and adopted a new one shortly afterward. I promised I would post a picture. I'm still in the learning stage of doing pictures (I just downloaded Windows 10, which I think is better than 8.1). If you want to see a picture of her go to my biography page and there is a nice picture of her on my bed.
What a pretty cat!

Old 08-23-2015, 09:19 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
Quote:

BTW how do you like my 120 year old house???
Love your house! Are you going to be part of any upcoming house tours?

Old 08-23-2015, 04:53 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Default The end of a grand old lady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Love your house! Are you going to be part of any upcoming house tours?
It was one of the homes open during the University City Historical Society House Tour about 2 years ago. They couldn't get their act together this year, but next year ... who knows?

Some sad news about a fine mansion about 3 blocks from my house: they starting tearing it down. The Historical Society tried to save it, but they have little power and influence compared to developers. The house was called the John P. Levy Mansion, it was built c.1850 by the noted and much admired architect Samuel Sloan. In the late '60's the mansion was converted into a Senior Assisted Living facility and some really ugly additions were built on it. The demolition ripped the ugly additions off ... and for the first time in nearly 50 years we see the elegant Italianate-Style mansion unencumbered once again! A swan song, if you will. A last glimpse of the stately mansion that stood there for 165 years. Within a week or so the rest will come down. What will go there? A six story apartment building with 120 units.

Old 08-23-2015, 05:41 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
Clark: I love old mansions and your post just made me upset. People should realize once the wrecking ball is on site, you cannot ever bring back the history and romance of that old house. Just thinking about the lives spent there, the elaborate parties hosted there, and the famous personalities that might have visited, makes me so sad. I wish someone would come in at the last minute and save it.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:54 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
Such a shame about the old mansion. Heartbreaking.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:38 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:

Some sad news about a fine mansion about 3 blocks from my house: they starting tearing it down. The Historical Society tried to save it, but they have little power and influence compared to developers. The house was called the John P. Levy Mansion, it was built c.1850 by the noted and much admired architect Samuel Sloan. In the late '60's the mansion was converted into a Senior Assisted Living facility and some really ugly additions were built on it. The demolition ripped the ugly additions off ... and for the first time in nearly 50 years we see the elegant Italianate-Style mansion unencumbered once again! A swan song, if you will. A last glimpse of the stately mansion that stood there for 165 years. Within a week or so the rest will come down. What will go there? A six story apartment building with 120 units.

That's a shame. It could've been the City Data Retirement Home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement