Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2015, 01:25 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Sorry to hear about your weather. How close to the storm area are you? Our weather people say it is veering to the right and should miss the coast. But do they know what they are talking about?

Thank you for the info on zinc and elderberry lozenges. I need to try them.
I'm on the coast of Massachusetts. It's not really bad, just cold and windy. I think the real hurricane went out to sea.

The lozenges may help you. I'd always heard that zinc is good for immunity and also that we, ahem, older people need more of it, but then someone told me about elderberry. So this "candy" combines the two!

Old 10-02-2015, 02:56 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It's horrible outside. I'm inside, roasting a chicken, but dh just came in from walking the dog and he says it's a howling gale out there. I'm hoping the oven will warm the house because I'm trying to hold off turning the heat on.
No wind on my end of the state, but a deep damp nasty cold. I went out with a fall jacket on and regretted not wearing a winter jacket and scarf. That biting cold so early in the season is worrisome. If there were wind on top of this, I wouldn't have stepped outside the door. Even the dogs don't want to go out, sissies they are. I'm trying to stay positive about winter on the horizon yet I'm not doing too well convincing myself.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
I started making my own orange juice from scratch.

Got a Black and Decker simple juicer (electric).

2 oranges, 1 lemon, 1 lime all squeezed in less than 5 minutes.
Add 4 tsps of sugar and 2 cups of water (don't like a thick juice).
Have fresh juice now for 2-3 days.

Boy did it taste so much better than store bought juice.

Over time I've taken to making things from scratch..one at a time.
This is just the next thing I've started doing.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:29 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I started making my own orange juice from scratch.

Got a Black and Decker simple juicer (electric).

2 oranges, 1 lemon, 1 lime all squeezed in less than 5 minutes.
Add 4 tsps of sugar and 2 cups of water (don't like a thick juice).
Have fresh juice now for 2-3 days.

Boy did it taste so much better than store bought juice.

Over time I've taken to making things from scratch..one at a time.
This is just the next thing I've started doing.

That sounds excellent, tho I probably would cut back on the sugar.

I have come to really dislike the "store-bought" juices. One time when visiting relative in FL, his wife squeezed oranges that grew in his backyard...... wonderful taste!

May I ask what part of TX are you in? I moved to Tyler in 1993 and returned to Syracuse in 1994. The job I went there for never materialized.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
That sounds excellent, tho I probably would cut back on the sugar.

I have come to really dislike the "store-bought" juices. One time when visiting relative in FL, his wife squeezed oranges that grew in his backyard...... wonderful taste!

May I ask what part of TX are you in? I moved to Tyler in 1993 and returned to Syracuse in 1994. The job I went there for never materialized.
Central Texas. Closest city people recognize is Bryan-College Station...home of Texas A&M.
I did live near Austin until I retired from my job.

Before that..South Florida and before that NYC where I was born.
Left as soon as I graduated high school for the south as I hate the cold.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:11 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
If y'all have a Kitchen Aid stand mixer, they make a juicer attachment. When my father sent me two dozen oranges from Florida I bought one right away.

The juice is SO different from the pasteurized stuff from the store. It's even a different color. Hallelujah and amen.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
If y'all have a Kitchen Aid stand mixer, they make a juicer attachment. When my father sent me two dozen oranges from Florida I bought one right away.

The juice is SO different from the pasteurized stuff from the store. It's even a different color. Hallelujah and amen.
Count me in as another lover of fresh orange juice. Being low tech, I just use one of those old fashioned glass juicers. It's small and easy to store and--as an extra added bonus, your arm gets a workout.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:37 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post

When I was growing up in Florida - more than half a century ago - I remember the roadside citrus stands with the large "WE SHIP" signs.

I was told that many types of Florida citrus (juice oranges, grapefruit, tangelos, key limes, etc.) was the best in the world because climate, soil type, humidity, and hybrid research was unmatched. Not just anywhere in Florida but specifically Central Florida (around Orlando) and especially the Indian River region. You don't see major groves in Miami or Fort Lauderdale (although Flamingo Groves was more of a tourist attraction) or Fort Myers in the south or Jacksonville or Tallahassee in the north. Indian River Citrus Fruit is the best. Sorry California, Arizona or Texas.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
When I was growing up in Florida - more than half a century ago - I remember the roadside citrus stands with the large "WE SHIP" signs.

I was told that many types of Florida citrus (juice oranges, grapefruit, tangelos, key limes, etc.) was the best in the world because climate, soil type, humidity, and hybrid research was unmatched. Not just anywhere in Florida but specifically Central Florida (around Orlando) and especially the Indian River region. You don't see major groves in Miami or Fort Lauderdale (although Flamingo Groves was more of a tourist attraction) or Fort Myers in the south or Jacksonville or Tallahassee in the north. Indian River Citrus Fruit is the best. Sorry California, Arizona or Texas.
I believe you. The only citrus I buy are navel oranges but they have to come from Florida. They are the juciest.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:44 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
I remember so well the orange groves in, then, appropriately named Orange County, California. Their scent permeated the air even on the shore where I lived as a child. Freshly squeezed orange juice was always available and we often squeezed our own. Delicious! As soon as you left the coast you were travelling through the groves on two-lane roads.

As an adult I eventually migrated to northern CA. Many years ago I had cause to fly down to Orange County on business. Coming in at John Wayne Airport we spent some time in a holding pattern overflying the area. Looking down there was not an orange grove in sight. They had all been paved over for strip malls and housing developments. It was ugly and so very distressing. All the Japanese strawberry field around Disneyland had also disappeared in the names of progress and greed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement