Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2015, 01:03 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
I've been taking thyroid medicine for 27 years. The one thing I find difficult is the "one hour before or two hours afterward" instructions. it works best for me if I take it when I get up during the night to go to the bathroom. Go figure!
Good idea! I'm up right now at 2am! Pets had to go out.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:32 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I attended a retirement party to end all retirement parties last night. What a wonderful and elaborate affair! It was for the retiring Dean of Students of the Law School ... a man incredibly admired and beloved at this university.

Officer Clark was one of about 350 invited guests to the event. This made me so happy because it symbolizes to me that after 3 1/2 years I am finally recognized as a member of the Penn Law community. You see, the other two safety officers assigned to the Law School have been there like 15 and 12 years respectively. I'm the "new kid on the block."

There were speeches and testimonials. Distinguished members of Penn faculty, regional elected officials and national jurisprudence were there. A couple of federal judges and even a justice of the 3rd Circuit Court (one step below the US Supreme Court) was there. Food was catered by the award winning "Iron Chef" Stephen Starr. There were open bars. The University Light Opera Company provided entertainment. There were even Chinese Dragon dancers.

Here is the main point: the Dean is an openly gay guy and his husband (a lawyer) was also officially recognized and honored. Although they have been together for 45 years, they could only legally marry a couple of years ago. It occurred to me that this is the real and true reason gay rights has triumphed in the US. People like Dean Clinton rose to the very top of their profession and made a difference to hundreds if not thousands of individuals. By setting a magnificent example - and I mean magnificent! - they dispelled by example all those horrible stereotypes and caricatures that were used to demonize and marginalize their community.
What a great evening and a wonderful post! I read another inspiring post in this forum today. Both posts have given me a good start to my day. Thank you!

Old 11-14-2015, 07:12 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
I spent last evening glued to the media, with horror over the events in Paris and the implications for global security. I am not having a terribly wonderful start to my day, after reading this morning's reports of the carnage. I need to go out for a long walk in cool air to clear my head of the images and tragedies.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:12 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I attended a retirement party to end all retirement parties last night. What a wonderful and elaborate affair! It was for the retiring Dean of Students of the Law School ... a man incredibly admired and beloved at this university.
I have to "spread some reputation" around...so I'm giving you a +1.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:26 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Just an update on my house: Nothing wrong with the realtor. And the photos are professional. And it's staged (lived in) as well as can be expected and am updating daily with some little things. May reduce the price once more.

After 31 showings, and on day 120, another realtor I called said "You might be dealing with the road in back, which is pretty busy." He also told me the house down the street sold after 204 days on the market (same back street). And the house next door (with a pool) sold way below market value a year ago.

So, it's the street. So I can't do anything about that. So today I am going to clean my (non self cleaning) oven. Need some fun !!!!
No, it's not the street; it's the price. Especially given the fact that you're getting numerous showings. Any house will sell at the right price. If you listed your house for $100 you would be deluged with offers even if you lived in the median of an Interstate highway. The key is to list your house at a price that buyers will jump at even though it's situated on a busy street.

And I know of what I speak. When we lived in the Town of Chevy Chase near downtown Bethesda, we lived on one of the busiest streets in the entire area. In fact, it had "highway" in its name. However, when we went to sell, we took that into consideration and priced our home accordingly. (Our agent said the same house one block into the neighborhood would have been priced $200k higher.) We put our house on the MLS on a Thursday, received multiple offers over the weekend, including several over our asking price, and had our house under contract two days later. And this was in 2009 during the housing recession.

Lower your price and your house will sell. It is as simple as that.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:04 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
Nice advice only I have already lowered the price 3 times. Realtor and others say it's right in the ballpark. Am now thinking it's pets in the house and am replacing some carpeting. We'll see.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:27 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Nice advice only I have already lowered the price 3 times. Realtor and others say it's right in the ballpark. Am now thinking it's pets in the house and am replacing some carpeting. We'll see.
Take it off market for a few weeks and then go back on, to reset the DOM to zero.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Take it off market for a few weeks and then go back on, to reset the DOM to zero.
One of the sites, zillow or truila shows the listing history along with original selling price.
When you see listed, delisted several times along with price drops it makes you wonder what is wrong with that home.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:40 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,189,978 times
Hi PhxBarb -- I'm sorry to hear it is taking a while to sell your house. Is it actually a house or is it a patio home/condo? Is it in a regular neighborhood or in an +55 neighborhood? I do think the Phx. market is slowing down a bit from last summer but there are still some buyers out there. Of course the holiday season is slow. You could do what Riverbird suggested and take it off the market for a while and then try again.

If your house is in an all-ages neighborhood and you may be having younger folks [>65] looking, unless it is in the bedrooms, I would not put new carpeting in the living areas. Carpeting does not seem to be in style with the younger set. I was discussing this with my mom, and she remembers when everyone was buying the wall-to-wall to cover the hardwood! Now the style is hardwood, "Pergo", and tile. It's good for the flooring industry, I guess!

I think I told you my daughter and SIL bought a new-to-them place last summer, near University and Val Vista. They had just bought their first home about six years ago, and she said that the mortgage process was much more detailed since all the changes have been implemented. Still, if the buyer is qualified, things should go through.

About the busy street, yes, you have to factor the value reduction into the price. But, you should have already paid less when you first bought the house, due to the same issue. So it all evens out. And plenty of smart buyers are willing to make that kind of small sacrifice just to be in a certain neighborhood. For example ; I have relatives who, as a young couple, wanting to get into town, bought a cute house right on Wolf Rd. in Western Springs. And they stayed! It hasn't bothered them. Your buyer is out there. You will connect!!!

Old 11-15-2015, 02:13 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
No, that doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
One of the sites, zillow or truila shows the listing history along with original selling price.
When you see listed, delisted several times along with price drops it makes you wonder what is wrong with that home.
Exactly. Pretty much every real estate site, including realtor.com, shows the pricing/listing history and will pick up on that little game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement