Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2016, 02:34 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times

Advertisements

Those of you in the path of snowmageddon 2016, I hope you stay safe and warm and have stocked up for the weekend.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:16 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Those of you in the path of snowmageddon 2016, I hope you stay safe and warm and have stocked up for the weekend.
Thank you. I thought I was ready as I could be until I realized the roof over my home office might collapse under the weight. During the last snowmageddon I wasn't able to get a roofing guy in so I crawled out onto the roof from my bedroom window. It wasn't particularly successful but I may have to try this again tomorrow. It's an almost flat roof. "Almost" being the key word. LOL.

Ugh. I've moved the valuables (stuff like photos and documents) into the original part of the house, just in case. I've backed up my computer files to CDs and USBs. I've taken photographs of the remaining items in the room for insurance purposes. I guess that's the best I can do at this point.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:13 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times
Good job. You're right, do the best you can to save the most you can. Good luck/best wishes to all of you there. And yell for help if you need it. I think all of us have floors if nothing else.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:35 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,038 times
We have about a foot of snow. Wind chill temp 3. But we are warm, cozy, and happy inside. We don't have to venture out until Monday. Most of our snow should be gone by then. It is breathtakingly beautiful.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:37 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,133 times
I'm listening to all the blizzard news this morning and since I am from central NY, I am quite familiar with blizzards, etc. The thing to remember is to stay indoors once bad weather hits. There is nothing that important to risk your life.

Also a small emergency kit in the car. The only problem is keeping water from freezing.

Common sense is important; stay safe.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:00 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,133 times
Need to vent. Please forgive me.

I have a woman friend that I have known for many years. We've been discussing our current presidential candidates and what we think about them. Since I shared with her who I thought I might vote for she wrote back and said she would vote Republican, whoever that candidate turned out to be. Yikes!!!! So she votes for the party. That makes me a little crazy.

Secondly, a while ago we were talking about the vaccines that are being offered to us. I told her I had the shingles shot and asked her if she and her husband had theirs. She said she had to see what her husband said about it.

I like this woman but I am thinking she lives in a cave and her husband must carry a big club.

OK, done. I needed to say that. Thanks for listening.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:36 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
Go redbirds !!!!!!!

Old 01-24-2016, 11:09 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post

I have a woman friend that I have known for many years. We've been discussing our current presidential candidates and what we think about them. Since I shared with her who I thought I might vote for she wrote back and said she would vote Republican, whoever that candidate turned out to be. Yikes!!!! So she votes for the party. That makes me a little crazy.

Secondly, a while ago we were talking about the vaccines that are being offered to us. I told her I had the shingles shot and asked her if she and her husband had theirs. She said she had to see what her husband said about it.

I like this woman but I am thinking she lives in a cave and her husband must carry a big club.

Too funny. I have a rant also - I will feel better after I get it off my chest.

We went to a breakfast fundraiser this morning. The organizers were not organized. So I vented a bit to my companions. They accused me of being unhappy.

Hello - I listen to them ***** and moan CONSTANTLY about the school and another entity they deal with. I mean every single time I am with them - that is their main topic of conversation. Do I ask them if they are unhappy? NO, they just don't know how to get away from these people. I was in the military over 20 years. I must have blocked out all the bad times, because I just feel a sense of pride and honor in our service. Why can't these school people have the same type of comradery.

Anyway I was trying to point out to them that the people running this fundraiser were some of our elected town officials. Gee - if you can't even have your ducks in a row for a breakfast sale, how are you running the city? No napkins, no utensils, etc.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:34 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post

Not everyone votes for a specific candidate over party. No one candidate who becomes president is really top dog. Parties represent general party interests, and that is huge, really huge. Don't let TV personalities get in the way of your interests. What is the makeup of congress? That is huge.

As for vaccines, not everyone jumps on the bandwagon.

Just another perspective. (–:

Old 01-24-2016, 06:06 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,038 times
We are still "snowed in" -We had about a ft - but snow drifts to 18 inches in our drive. Our driveway is long--the subdivision roads and most secondary ones around Asheville have been cleared. It is so nice to be retired and not have to go out.

It was reported that Mount Mitchell State Park had a record of 66 inches.

Enjoying hot drinks and hot soups every day. Lots of birds and squirrels at the feeders. Trying not to follow political stuff on tv or computer. I had enough of that in my last life.
I hope everyone in the forum is safe and warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement