Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2016, 03:51 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I am 61, retired and bored to death. Want some suggestions on what to do with myself. Should this go in here or under the retirement posts?
I've been doing some thinking about this and have no new suggestions other than the ones you hear all the time.

I do know what I would like to do but as far as I know isn't "out there".

Rather than volunteer at the library where there are a ton of old readers like me and they don't really need me, I would love to volunteer to work on a task force that data mines to track down hate groups, drug cartels, sex trafficker's and such. I realize at some point you need specific law enforcement training but I think my background would lend itself to doing some front end computer searching and passing along tips just fine.

Why doesn't the government make more use of old volunteers?

Old 05-24-2016, 09:23 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
Wow, had a scary day today. My bank's fraud unit called me & asked if I had ordered something from the Adidas site in Australia to the tune of $348. Yikes! I told them, of course not. As a matter of fact, if I was online it was only here at cd.

Well, they'd already blocked any attempts to use my card again until they talked to me, thank heavens, because today they tried to use it on-line at Bed, bath & body, Nordstroms & other high-end places.

My bank had just signed up with the fraud unit & I think I was their first customer. Of course they cancelled my card & will issue a new one but I am definitely going to invest in one of those sleeves asap. But, now I have to wait for a new card, wait for the credit to come through & just be very careful with what I spend. What a nightmare. Today I am very thankful I live in a small town where everyone knows everyone else. There will be no questions as to why I am using my checkbook as opposed to my debit card.
Whew, what a day.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:32 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Wow, had a scary day today. My bank's fraud unit called me & asked if I had ordered something from the Adidas site in Australia to the tune of $348. Yikes! I told them, of course not. As a matter of fact, if I was online it was only here at cd.

Well, they'd already blocked any attempts to use my card again until they talked to me, thank heavens, because today they tried to use it on-line at Bed, bath & body, Nordstroms & other high-end places.

My bank had just signed up with the fraud unit & I think I was their first customer. Of course they cancelled my card & will issue a new one but I am definitely going to invest in one of those sleeves asap. But, now I have to wait for a new card, wait for the credit to come through & just be very careful with what I spend. What a nightmare. Today I am very thankful I live in a small town where everyone knows everyone else. There will be no questions as to why I am using my checkbook as opposed to my debit card.
Whew, what a day.
Debit card? Are you really going to get another debit card and use it to make purchases? Hasn't this experience given you pause at all? Look what would have happened if your bank hadn't fortuitously caught this before it had gone further. Your bank account could have been completely emptied and you would not have found out about this fraud until you went to buy groceries or pay some bills and discovered that your money was gone. Sure, eventually you would be reimbursed, but until then, it is your money that was stolen, not the banks. As it is, you're out the $348 until the bank (in its good time) decides to put through a credit to your account.

That's the difference (and one of the main benefits) of using credit cards as opposed to debit cards. When your card number is stolen and used fraudulently, it is the credit card bank's money that has been taken and the bank that is inconvenienced. When you use a debit card and it is used fraudulently, it is your money that has been taken and it is you who are inconvenienced until the matter has been resolved.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:07 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
MM of B:

Is that fact? Debit cards, if lost or stolen, are that dangerous?

I recently lost mine and called the bank an hour later to cancel it. Anyway, the public library called me to say they had found it. (honest people there) So, I should be using my AMex card instead all the time?

OK, if you say so, that's what I will do. (Just have to remember to pay the bill.)

Old 05-25-2016, 11:34 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
MM of B:

Is that fact? Debit cards, if lost or stolen, are that dangerous?

I recently lost mine and called the bank an hour later to cancel it. Anyway, the public library called me to say they had found it. (honest people there) So, I should be using my AMex card instead all the time?

OK, if you say so, that's what I will do. (Just have to remember to pay the bill.)
I have had similar experiences. I have contacted my credit union (I don't use banks) and they canceled the card(s) out immediately and issued new ones. My debit card is a combo debit and credit card. I personally would check with your bank regarding how safe/unsafe it is.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:41 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
Years ago a grocery chain here, Hannafords, was hacked. People using debit cards were surprised to find they did not have the same safeguards as credit cards. The local paper ran an in depth article on the differences between debit and credit cards. I haven't used a debit card since then.

MoB is correct. Your money is up on the air until the fraud is settled with a debit card, with a credit card it's their money and their problem. Be careful using a debit card if your checking has overdraft protection coming from your savings account, then you have two accounts that can be compromised by one card, depending on how overdrafts are handled. Check with your bank on how debit cards are handled, it varies.

Here's more info:
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news...ds-092415.html

Last edited by jean_ji; 05-25-2016 at 11:55 AM..

Old 05-25-2016, 03:19 PM

This is a very small town. I went to the bank today & if I need it, they will put money in my account & I'll have to pay them back when it's resolved. My card is a debit/credit also. Can be used either way & my bank did tell me to use it as a credit. So I always have.

There are people out there who, rather than work, spend hours trying to get people's cc numbers.

Nothing has happened since &, yes, I will get the money back in my account. Maybe it's only small town Minnesota, but my account was frozen immediately when that charge showed up because I never do things like that.

That's what living in a small town is like here.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Debit card? Are you really going to get another debit card and use it to make purchases? Hasn't this experience given you pause at all? Look what would have happened if your bank hadn't fortuitously caught this before it had gone further. Your bank account could have been completely emptied and you would not have found out about this fraud until you went to buy groceries or pay some bills and discovered that your money was gone. Sure, eventually you would be reimbursed, but until then, it is your money that was stolen, not the banks. As it is, you're out the $348 until the bank (in its good time) decides to put through a credit to your account.

That's the difference (and one of the main benefits) of using credit cards as opposed to debit cards. When your card number is stolen and used fraudulently, it is the credit card bank's money that has been taken and the bank that is inconvenienced. When you use a debit card and it is used fraudulently, it is your money that has been taken and it is you who are inconvenienced until the matter has been resolved.
Madman, 7 years ago , in the beginning of the recession, I had to go through bankruptcy after getting laid off from my job. I was paying off my credit cards at twice the minimum & was getting close to paying them off.
Because I was over 50 at the time I couldn't find more than temp work & was soon unable to pay for my house & declared bankruptcy.

Once I was declared debt free I vowed to never get in debt again, thus, I have never applied for a credit card. If the money is not in the bank, I don't need it. That is why I don't have a credit card.

I've thought about it since the theft & may ask the bank for a pre-Paid cc just for my automatic payments & maybe 20 extra for emergencies.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:02 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
I had a similar thing happen to my debit/credit bank card a few years ago. Some folks put those skimmers on machines around town and over 2,000 cards were hacked. Bank calls me immediately if a charge looks goofy, even if it's legit. In that case my card was immediately canceled, funds refunded, police report filed and the crooks were eventually caught.

No one takes checks anymore, so that's why I use my bank card.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:26 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Madman, 7 years ago , in the beginning of the recession, I had to go through bankruptcy after getting laid off from my job. I was paying off my credit cards at twice the minimum & was getting close to paying them off.
Because I was over 50 at the time I couldn't find more than temp work & was soon unable to pay for my house & declared bankruptcy.

Once I was declared debt free I vowed to never get in debt again, thus, I have never applied for a credit card. If the money is not in the bank, I don't need it. That is why I don't have a credit card.

I've thought about it since the theft & may ask the bank for a pre-Paid cc just for my automatic payments & maybe 20 extra for emergencies.
You are to be congratulated for taking steps to avoid running up credit. Each person needs to do whatever works for that person. For me, what works in connection with the use of my credit card is not charging anything for which the money is not already "in the bank" and then paying off the credit card in full each month.

With Wells Fargo Bank, the debit card and the ATM card are normally one and the same. But I asked if they could issue me an ATM card which was not also a debit card, and they did so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement