Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2016, 05:47 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Hi everyone.

Permit me to share a true story I've retold over the past year to several different people I know ...

A while ago I was talking to a lady about retirement. She was praising the gated 55+ senior community she moved to. It was as if she was trying to sell me on the idea of moving there when I told her my own retirement was just 1 - 2 years away and I was looking forward to downsize and simplify my life.

The gated senior community she resides in is located in extreme southern Delaware, down below Dover in the "Delmarva Peninsula."

She described the place as having a variety of homes - apartments, townhouses, and modestly size 'villas'. It is well kept well maintained, the lawns are mowed, nice landscaping, amenities including a couple of tennis courts, a large swimming pool, and a clubhouse with rooms available for entertaining and regular activities for the residents.

I was told that I would be pleasantly surprised how affordable the place was (she was correct - the home prices and monthly fees were extremely competitively low and within reach even for newly retired blue collar lower-middle class people on a budget.)

"Oh it's just like heaven! We have Bingo Night, potluck dinners, and 7 days a week there are always canasta and bridge games going. We love to play cards in the clubhouse and talk about our grandchildren. It is heaven, I tell you!"

Heaven? I was thinking to myself ... sounds more like HELL! If I was stuck in a clubhouse playing canasta with a bunch of old fogies talking about their grandchildren somewhere in godforsaken rural southern Delaware I think I would have to excuse myself, go to bathroom, and slit my wrists.

Thank God there are retirees that "have-that-mindset"........it keeps my little piece of 'privacy' & 'solitude' safe from being discovered by those that rely on others for fulfilment.
23 years of retirement on my 14 wooded acres, with the sound of the creek, no immediate neighbors, an amazing variety of wildlife, a magnificent view of the close-up mountains and (7) people per square mile............,yes.....My little piece of MONTANA truly is:. The Last, Best Place!!!

Old 06-27-2016, 05:50 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,066 times
Quote:
Hi everyone.

Permit me to share a true story I've retold over the past year to several different people I know ...

A while ago I was talking to a lady about retirement. She was praising the gated 55+ senior community she moved to. It was as if she was trying to sell me on the idea of moving there when I told her my own retirement was just 1 - 2 years away and I was looking forward to downsize and simplify my life.

The gated senior community she resides in is located in extreme southern Delaware, down below Dover in the "Delmarva Peninsula."

She described the place as having a variety of homes - apartments, townhouses, and modestly size 'villas'. It is well kept well maintained, the lawns are mowed, nice landscaping, amenities including a couple of tennis courts, a large swimming pool, and a clubhouse with rooms available for entertaining and regular activities for the residents.

I was told that I would be pleasantly surprised how affordable the place was (she was correct - the home prices and monthly fees were extremely competitively low and within reach even for newly retired blue collar lower-middle class people on a budget.)

"Oh it's just like heaven! We have Bingo Night, potluck dinners, and 7 days a week there are always canasta and bridge games going. We love to play cards in the clubhouse and talk about our grandchildren. It is heaven, I tell you!"

Heaven? I was thinking to myself ... sounds more like HELL! If I was stuck in a clubhouse playing canasta with a bunch of old fogies talking about their grandchildren somewhere in godforsaken rural southern Delaware I think I would have to excuse myself, go to bathroom, and slit my wrists.

Doesn't sound like something we would enjoy either. Bingo? Canasta? No grandkids and really cringe when someone pulls our their phone to show me.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:06 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Hi everyone.

Permit me to comment on your comment...

About every couple of months, someone will create a new thread saying they are considering a 55+ community and asking anyone who lives in one to describe their experience. Invariably, a bunch of posters who hate 55+ communities, who've never lived in a 55+ community, and who would never consider living in a 55+ community, all descend upon the thread at once giving their opinion of how hellish it must be to live there and implying that basically anyone who does so is a drooling old idiot with no common sense.

I guess you got too impatient to wait for the next 55+ thread to be created in order to share your "true story" so you felt that you had to post it here. But then again, since you've stated that you've told this story several times to various people over the past year, I'm sure we'll have the pleasure of reading it again in the next 55+ community-bashing thread.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:20 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
Clark: See the next thread: "Some Retirement Activities Depress Me".

Old 06-28-2016, 03:31 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post

... 23 years of retirement on my 14 wooded acres, with the sound of the creek, no immediate neighbors, an amazing variety of wildlife, a magnificent view of the close-up mountains and (7) people per square mile............,yes.....My little piece of MONTANA truly is:. The Last, Best Place!!!
Your brief post speaks volumes about how different we are in our quest for the perfect retirement lifestyle.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:11 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,467 times
Quote:
Your brief post speaks volumes about how different we are in our quest for the perfect retirement lifestyle.
....."Dieu merci, pour la diffe'rence".....

Old 06-29-2016, 11:54 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,194,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
....."Dieu merci, pour la diffe'rence".....

Oh oui monsieur, tres vrai ...

Old 06-30-2016, 07:36 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
Eenie meeie chili beanie...

SO anyway...after a month of unbearable heat, yesterday rain, and cooler last night with rain and 58 degrees this morning. Forecast is rain and 70's today. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:15 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
OK - rant time~~~~

Just went to turn on the water and nada - nothing. Heard the mailman and went to get the mail and on my door was a notice saying they're turning off the water today~~~for 10 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That notice wasn't there earlier this a.m. No notice so we I could fill dog dishes, tub (to flush toilets) and store water in frig. What the he$$ were they thinking? Many people are planning holiday get togethers - no water for cooking, cleaning. I have been patient so far but now it's time for the crazy woman to appear. I can't even wash my hair. You may read about me in the papers (). You want to bet that "the boss" is away at his lake home and can't be reached?

Old 07-01-2016, 09:54 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
OK - rant time~~~~

Just went to turn on the water and nada - nothing. Heard the mailman and went to get the mail and on my door was a notice saying they're turning off the water today~~~for 10 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That notice wasn't there earlier this a.m. No notice so we I could fill dog dishes, tub (to flush toilets) and store water in frig. What the he$$ were they thinking? Many people are planning holiday get togethers - no water for cooking, cleaning. I have been patient so far but now it's time for the crazy woman to appear. I can't even wash my hair. You may read about me in the papers (). You want to bet that "the boss" is away at his lake home and can't be reached?
I can so relate to this problem. "They" would shut the water off with NO notice. At any time of day. A person could be in the middle of a shower, hair full of shampoo, etc.

I don't live there anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement