Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2016, 01:19 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Its been raining here in our part of Texas since Saturday. Very blah. At least it isn't flooding. We had our share of that in the spring.

Some people just love it. I hate it. Cant' go outside. Stuck indoors. Its times like this that I start thinking that if I had a job, these kind of days would just fly by.

The sun has made a quick appearance.

I guess we can all be glad we don't live in Louisiana! Those poor people. I remember all the flooding you guys had.

I "love it" when it rains here because we don't get that much of it. I don't mind being stuck indoors. It is 101 degrees here today with 20% humidity so I can feel it but it's not bad at all. It's also partly cloudy which feels pretty good. That direct sun is killer! After a bit I'm going out and hose down my garage floor. Now that I have the rock in my yard I won't be dragging all that mud/now dry dirt all over the floor!

Old 08-18-2016, 12:26 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
My Mom died 4 years ago today. Some of you will recall me talking about her and all the stuff she did even after age 100. She was a gem. Led Girl Scout troops, did community service, wrote newspaper articles, was Senior Citizen of the year and 4th of July parade grand marshall. She was the Golden Agers club prez in Riverside, IL until age 101 when we moved her to AZ. She never stopped living, even until her death Aug 18, 2012. Bless you Mom and miss you like crazy.I know you are up there in heaven, probably leading something.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:40 PM

2,857 posts, read 1,802,529 times
PhxBarb,

Thank you for sharing the wonderful memories of your Mom, she's probably with my Mom who had
volunteered for the Lung Association for nearly 30 years. Miss my Mom too, she went to Heaven in 2005,
almost 94.

Hot weather on the Olympic Peninsula---75 or more ! Managed to mow the weeds on the lawn tractor in
the morning as well as watered the outside plants. (75 for me is cool after living south of Sacramento, CA,
90 was average. Praying for those souls in S. CA as well.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
My Mom died 4 years ago today. Some of you will recall me talking about her and all the stuff she did even after age 100. She was a gem. Led Girl Scout troops, did community service, wrote newspaper articles, was Senior Citizen of the year and 4th of July parade grand marshall. She was the Golden Agers club prez in Riverside, IL until age 101 when we moved her to AZ. She never stopped living, even until her death Aug 18, 2012. Bless you Mom and miss you like crazy.I know you are up there in heaven, probably leading something.

I remember. Your mother's zest for life and all she accomplished, even at 100, impressed me a lot! It doesn't seem like four years though, does it? Lordy, time flies! My mom will be gone two years in Dec. and it seems like yesterday, still. My mom is probably "leading something" up there too! For sure she's talking everyone's ears off! lol I can still hear my dad telling her, "Margaret, it's MY turn to talk!". lol I think I'll always miss both of them.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:12 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,377,819 times
I lost my mom 15 years ago tomorrow. She's probably working on some project up there. She was always baking, canning and sewing. Every year around x-mas, she would send a care package to me, my sister and the grandkids.

I also lost an aunt and two cousins in that accident.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:33 PM

42 posts, read 104,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
I lost my mom 15 years ago tomorrow. She's probably working on some project up there. She was always baking, canning and sewing. Every year around x-mas, she would send a care package to me, my sister and the grandkids.

I also lost an aunt and two cousins in that accident.
I am so sorry for your losses due to an accident. It sounds like you have good memories to help you through the lonely moments.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Sounds like you had a super mother, PhxBarb.

I often wish my Mom could have had a better life. I know because she did not, she was not able to teach my sisters and me how to do some of the neat things your Mom taught you.

Even tho she didn't have those talents, she still passed on her love to us, and that's important, too.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:38 PM

Due to a real mess within my computer, I once again had to change my user name.

I started out as NYgal2NC which was changed to NYgal1542. Now due to the computer mess, I am JEB1542.

I have been advised to change it to something more anonymous. So, who knows who I'll be tomorrow!!

Old 08-20-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB41542 View Post
Due to a real mess within my computer, I once again had to change my user name.

I started out as NYgal2NC which was changed to NYgal1542. Now due to the computer mess, I am JEB1542.

I have been advised to change it to something more anonymous. So, who knows who I'll be tomorrow!!

I'd say initials and b'date are still pretty "anonymous". I've been thinking about changing my name but I don't think I will. I've been AZDB too long and it IS different. I have seen some really clever names in these forums over the years and I marvel at people's sense of humor and imagination.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:35 PM

Default I think I lit a fire...

under my next door neighbor! lol His backyard has been a health hazard ever since I moved in here. PILES of cans, bottles, broken glass and trash, lining the fences, up against the dilapidated storage shed and just JUNK everywhere. His kids play out there! Well, since I had my yard all done and rocked in I guess he thought he ought to do something and, boy, does it look good now. There were weeds over a foot tall all over the yard too but it didn't hide the trash. Last time I looked they had at least 25 large trash bags and half a dozen 50 gallon trash cans full of glass and bottles. It took two guys four days to do it and they started at 5:30 AM every day. Now...if they'll just haul all of that off! In all honesty I had actually thought of contacting city hall and asking if they could do something about that yard. I worried for his kids and I DON'T want bugs and vermin at my house! They are a nice family and we get along great so I didn't want to cause problems and I am SO glad he just went ahead and did it. Now, maybe we should talk to the guy on the other side of me! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement