Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2016, 05:00 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
We are setting record highs here in south texas! Very strange. 83 degrees right now.

Wow, that sounds like the Keys in Florida...in January! I could go for 83 right now. The high for today was 'supposed to be 33' but it's 40 now. We had a little snow last night and the mountains all around are looking really pretty right now. No snow here right now and melted off fast this morning...what little there was. My daughter got about six inches where she live, 45 minutes away, and Prescott got a lot too. Sedona looks real pretty today with the snow covered red rocks. If I wanted to go play in it I could get there in 15 minutes but I don't. lol Supposed to be pretty chilly, but sunny all week, till next Sat. and Sun. when it's supposed to rain again. I guess it's winter!

Daughter came for dinner. So good to see and visit with her. She just left a bit ago and will stop and see one of my grandsons on her way out. We don't talk or see one another often enough.

Old 12-25-2016, 06:59 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO full! And driving to my relatives today I saw three cars! A traffic nightmare. Haven't decided on the toy guns that shoot out darts or the drum set was better for my little nephews. Then again, they're home and I'm here. Heheheh.

And so it goes...

Old 12-26-2016, 09:08 PM

7,035 posts, read 6,287,208 times
I should put this in entertainment but wanted to share how much I enjoyed watching 'Hairspray Live' just now. I saw it as a high school play but 1st time I saw the whole thing on TV. What a wonderful play.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:41 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO full! And driving to my relatives today I saw three cars! A traffic nightmare. Haven't decided on the toy guns that shoot out darts or the drum set was better for my little nephews. Then again, they're home and I'm here. Heheheh.

And so it goes...
I want a nerf rapid fire gun. Heard Costco had a great deal on them before Christmas but it was to late. Should help me win more stare downs with deer

Old 12-27-2016, 01:17 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,610 times
I enjoyed a pleasant Christmas dinner with friends who live at a nearby RV park. I took a pan of homemade cinnamon rolls and a dish of au gratin potatoes as my contributions to the pot luck. My son called early in the afternoon and my daughter called early in the evening. Daughter said she had spoiled her Christmas dinner because she thought she had bacon on hand to make her au gratin potatoes, but when she opened the bacon she found it spoiled and had to throw it out. She said it just wasn't the same without the bacon on top. lol

I couldn't believe how much snow we had gotten on Christmas Eve. Both the Huachuca Mountains and the Whetstone Mountains were white with snow. When I awoke on Christmas morning, I was surprised to see the white flakes coming down, but these melted as soon as the sun rose. It's supposed to warm up this week, so the snow on the mountains won't last long.

My friends have invited me back to the RV park today to play a card game they call "Dirty Board" which reminds me of the "Sorry" game.

Old 12-27-2016, 02:30 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Deelighted, sounds like you had a nice Christmas and it was complete with snow. Mine was quiet and simple and somehow it's a relief to have it over anyway.

We went to a cousin's near Boston. She is 81 years old and I came away with some knowledge about how glad I am to NOT still be living in my nice house anymore. She has a gorgeous home complete with antiques everywhere you look. I used to love looking at those things but this time all I could think of was downsizing!

I think besides the food and good company, the best part of the day was when all of us were sitting in her living room. All of a sudden--bong...bong...bong. I felt a big happy smile upon my face because the sound was coming from our grandfather's clock. And I was taken back to my childhood when he would lift me up and exclaim, "Look! It even shows the phases of the moon!"

Old 12-27-2016, 05:11 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
I enjoyed a pleasant Christmas dinner with friends who live at a nearby RV park. I took a pan of homemade cinnamon rolls and a dish of au gratin potatoes as my contributions to the pot luck. My son called early in the afternoon and my daughter called early in the evening. Daughter said she had spoiled her Christmas dinner because she thought she had bacon on hand to make her au gratin potatoes, but when she opened the bacon she found it spoiled and had to throw it out. She said it just wasn't the same without the bacon on top. lol

I couldn't believe how much snow we had gotten on Christmas Eve. Both the Huachuca Mountains and the Whetstone Mountains were white with snow. When I awoke on Christmas morning, I was surprised to see the white flakes coming down, but these melted as soon as the sun rose. It's supposed to warm up this week, so the snow on the mountains won't last long.

My friends have invited me back to the RV park today to play a card game they call "Dirty Board" which reminds me of the "Sorry" game.

Isn't that the greatest thing about AZ? We might get a little snow but it doesn't stick around and become miserable. It's beautiful to look at but I don't EVER want to shovel it again! Sedona has no more snow and there's still 'some' on the mountain but every day the sun shines there's less and less of it.

I want your au gratin potato recipe!! That sounds so good. Sorry about your daughter's though.

Have a good day and win at cards!

Old 12-27-2016, 05:37 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,610 times
Couldn't rep either of you must spread some around lol

@ in_newengland You reminded me of visiting my aunt who had numerous clocks that chimed the hour - I was quite fascinated by her clocks when I was young. Your post brought a smile to my cheeks

@ AZDB Check your PM for the recipe Yes the snow doesn't last long. The Whetstone didn't have any snow left by this afternoon but there's a small amount hanging around on the Huachucas.

We played ladies against the men and tied at two games each. Was a fun afternoon

Old 12-30-2016, 07:33 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
I'm getting ready for another New Year, they keep coming faster every year. 2017, seriously?

A cold front came through, so the high today will be 63 with 44 tomorrow morning then back to 80 on Sunday. A good day to clean house. I love Christmas and I'm tired of it too, so I'm packing it all away today, it's time.

We had a wonderful holiday with our family and were also invited to our DIL's parents where they had a traditional English Christmas feast. I can't even begin to tell how fabulous it was, starting with champagne and ending with flaming Christmas pudding. What a treat! They had a table set up on the lanai by the pool with beautiful place settings and Christmas crackers to pull open at each plate. We all wore colored paper crowns during dinner that came from the crackers and read the riddles that came from them too. There were lighted candle luminaries bags on the other side Reflecting in the pool. The weather was perfect and the wine flowed. This will be one with good memories for years to come.

DH has been using vacation time before year's end and had the week off. We rode bikes with the grandkids to a local park for a picnic one day and the four-year-old rode his bike with training wheels the entire three miles. We had borrowed the kid's bike trailer to bring him and his bike back and to ride on a bike trail alongside the intercoastal waterway too. The seven-year-old had no problem keeping up with us.

Yesterday we took our kayak out for a few hours, it was another beautiful day and felt really good to be out on the water. When we got back to the kayak launch area, I found a perfect conch shell in the water, close to shore, and brought it home. I have a collection of shells I add to our mulch and put the shell there. We were washing the kayak and everything down with fresh water when DH called me to come see something. It was the conch shell walking down the driveway. A crab was in residence and making an escape. We took him back to where we found him.

I've procrastinated enough, time to de-Christmas-ify the house. DH just walked by carrying storage bins (hint, hint) teasing it's so brutal to be carrying them down from the attic. We have no attic here and he's so darn happy to pull stuff out of a closet instead of using the rung ladder that went to our attic and where we stored most things. I'm hoping the sun will still be out when everything is packed up and the house swept and dusted.

Last edited by jean_ji; 12-30-2016 at 08:01 AM..

Old 12-30-2016, 08:03 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I'm getting ready for another New Year, they keep coming faster every year. 2017, seriously?

A cold front came through, so the high today will be 63 with 44 tomorrow morning then back to 80 on Sunday..

Indeed it will be 2017. We are supposed to have a base on Mars and flying cars by now. But no, we have the Kardashians and mall fights by bored teenagers and people mad over which bathroom to use. Not the future imagined as a kid in the 50's.

Trying to wrap my head around "cold front" and 63...a cold front is minus reading with a blizzard here, which is forecast for next week.

Not going out on amateur night, staying in with the dogs and hoping a stray bullet doesn't hit the house.

...and so it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement