Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2013, 07:37 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,377,819 times

Advertisements

My sister will be joining the ranks of the retired in May.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:42 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
My sister will be joining the ranks of the retired in May.
Is she excited about it? Does she have plans to make changes in her life when she retires or is she "staying put?"

Old 08-26-2013, 07:06 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Deleted post, posted in wrong forum

Last edited by RiverBird; 08-26-2013 at 07:41 PM..

Old 08-26-2013, 07:16 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
It's been great! I've been out here all morning, listening to birds, watching people jog down the street, and just enjoying a lovely morning.

It's nice to have a down day every once in while. I've been into checking items off the bucket list and doing all our favorite local things before we move, and it's great to have such a busy, fun filled scheduled. Well, most of the time it's great. Sometimes, though, I thnk it's even better to take a day off from fun fun fun.

It's always good to remember that we're also allowed to do nothing all day if that's what we want to do.
Are you moving away from Virginia? We love Virginia.

Every Monday my husband and I take the day off - we do whatever we want - go for a country drive, explore a little historic town in Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio or Tennessee, go out to lunch, stop at little shops and talk with the locals - just fun things we like to do. We do a lot of volunteer work, have a big yard and house to take care of...so knowing that every Monday we have a day to do whatever - well, we love that.

We usually start most days off with a 5 mile hill climbing walk, but 4 weeks ago I broke a small bone in my knee. I spent 2 weeks on crutches and still have another 2 weeks before I can exercise....I'm going a little stir crazy!

Old 08-26-2013, 09:10 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,377,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Is she excited about it? Does she have plans to make changes in her life when she retires or is she "staying put?"
She is excited. She is planning on staying put for a while. Her and her husband just moved and he is still working. They are both teachers, she is 57 and he is 54. She said she might try to pick up a part time job.

She doesn't have kids. She considers her self a professional aunt, great-aunt and great-great-aunt. She does want to spend more time with the family.

Last edited by BJW50; 08-26-2013 at 09:32 PM..

Old 08-27-2013, 02:14 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Are you moving away from Virginia? We love Virginia.

Every Monday my husband and I take the day off - we do whatever we want - go for a country drive, explore a little historic town in Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio or Tennessee, go out to lunch, stop at little shops and talk with the locals - just fun things we like to do. We do a lot of volunteer work, have a big yard and house to take care of...so knowing that every Monday we have a day to do whatever - well, we love that.

We usually start most days off with a 5 mile hill climbing walk, but 4 weeks ago I broke a small bone in my knee. I spent 2 weeks on crutches and still have another 2 weeks before I can exercise....I'm going a little stir crazy!
What a great post. This is exactly the sort of thing I love to read, ideas for what to do in everyday life in retirement.

I never get tired of hearing about the things people on this forum find to do that fill our days, yet also make them special. Thanks for sharing that.

We're still in Virginia, just in a smaller and (relatively) less expensive town. We ended up buying a house in Williamsburg. Not the colonial district, but in a little community right on the river. Yes, Virginia has definitely grown on us, too. When we moved from Los Angeles I thought we would never find a place we liked as much as the California beach cities. But happily, I think we did.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:43 AM

Caladium.....we have loved Colonial Williamsburg for many years and have traveled throughout Virginia.....we spent a week there last Spring....revisiting places we like....Smithfield, the Northern Neck (we love Kilmarnock)....we will downsize in a few years and have been thinking of a one story condo in Ford's Colony. We love visiting Montpelier and Monticello, Old town Alexandria and driving over the bridge to the Eastern Shore....you live in a glorious state!

Old 08-28-2013, 08:12 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Vacation cut short when SO had a heart attack. Away from home, which made everything more complicated.
Lots of issues when you travel and are older.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Vacation cut short when SO had a heart attack. Away from home, which made everything more complicated.
Lots of issues when you travel and are older.
Jasper....so sorry about this! Prognosis?

Old 08-28-2013, 09:46 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
The CPR was really what saved him, and, is now "killing" him, with broken ribs. He will be okay? Maybe? Lots of rehabilitation. And away from home. He can't travel home now, that is for sure.

Sad.

But it has really made me think about travel away from home when you are older. Things happen. Health issues, even for seemingly healthy people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement