Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 11:28 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,857,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Now that spring has arrived, we will put up with your comments of the warmth you receive, We'll then feel free to do payback when you are boiling & we are in summer breezes
See, THIS is why I try to be nice to you guys about your weather! lol Pay backs can be a bear.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:32 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,857,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Happy St Patricks Day everyone who's Irish! (Blarney, anyone?) Big parade and city road race coming up. Bill Rodgers, four-time NY marathon winner, is coming back for that. Lots of pubs will be hopping! I'm headed to a greenhouse flower show tomorrow, can't wait to soak up the scents and colors.
I am having (lots!) visions of flowers and shrubs myself. I'm moving into my house at the perfect time to get some flowers planted. I've been researching drought tolerant plants and there are some really nice ones out there. I'd love to go to a flower/plant show right now!

Old 03-17-2015, 08:24 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,911,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I have to comment on what a great neighbor this is turning into. A younger generation has moved in and people actually wave and smile when I drive by. Many of the old sour pusses have moved out - good riddance. They are all hanging out at a 55+ neighborhood near you.
Does this mean you're staying where you are?

Old 03-17-2015, 08:26 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,911,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Now that spring has arrived, we will put up with your comments of the warmth you receive, We'll then feel free to do payback when you are boiling & we are in summer breezes
I don't think it's ever boiling in LA. Face it, he lives in the best spot.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:58 AM

4,522 posts, read 3,719,020 times
Morning, I'm listening to a woodpecker banging away nearby. I've been taking the grandkids to the beach and a fountain park in town, the weather's been nice.

Our live oak has been raining leaves, I think it held onto them a little longer with the cooler winter here and is jettisoning them all at once. The new leaves are popping out behind the old, I quite like a semi-deciduous tree. My lemon tree is full of blossoms and the scent is heavenly when the wind blows it through the kitchen window. The only thing better is a huge hedge of jasmine our neighbors across the street have; the sweetness in the air as I walk the dog by is wonderful.

The other grands from England are arriving tomorrow for their six month stay, so I'll be sharing the grandkids until we head back to NY in May. I'd rather stay here for the summer, but at least we'll be driving back in one car this time. Driving for 15 hours one day and twelve the next (times include stops) in separate cars is no fun. We can take turns and rest every few hours, being turned on and attentive the whole time is rough.

DH picked up his new company car last week, a Subaru Forester, he's planning on buying it when it's time to turn it in, in 3-4 years. His Mom is buying his old one, a 2012 Chevy Equinox. She's wanted a new used car but didn't know where to go or who to trust. This will be perfect for her: she'll know the car history and DH is easy on cars. It will be a much safer car than the one she is currently driving. We're going to drive it up to her place this weekend, she's working with fleet getting the paperwork done and then registering it etc.

This should give you something to read PhxBarb.

Last edited by jean_ji; 03-17-2015 at 09:11 AM..

Old 03-17-2015, 09:07 AM

7,572 posts, read 8,986,493 times
Quote:
Does this mean you're staying where you are?

No - but it confirms that an mixed age neighborhood will work better for me at the next location.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:11 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,705,018 times
Happy St. Paddy's, all.

May you always have walls for the winds,
a roof for the rain, tea beside the fire,
laughter to cheer you, those you love near you,
and all your heart might desire.

Good luck tommorow, Barb!

jean_ji, what route do you take back to NY?

The snow is slowly parting from the stone steps up to the barn, revealing the mini carnations that have slumbered under their blanket of snow. A baby red squirrel that we've been watching all winter ventured out to pick at the bird seed I dumped for him and the birds.
It's about 40F, which will drop like a stone later as the winds pick up to possible 40 mph gusts. The icy grip of winter hangs on.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:05 AM

6,418 posts, read 11,552,778 times
Quote:
I don't think it's ever boiling in LA. Face it, he lives in the best spot.
<raises hand>Not quite. <lowers hand>

I think I've mentioned before - my mom who lives near Chicago like to rag on me during May, when it's typically better spring weather in Chicago than in Sandy Eggo.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:10 AM

4,522 posts, read 3,719,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post

jean_ji, what route do you take back to NY?
The long one! Going home, we cross over to 95 and in SC get over to 81 all the way to 84. 81 is so beautiful in the spring through Virginia, I love those rolling mountains. It's a hundred miles more going that way but so much easier than 95 and trying to time it right going by DC to NYC. The restaurants and rest stops on 95 are wall to wall people. We did it once the first time down in one car, there's no way we could keep together, safely, in two cars. We travel with pets too which makes for a many more stops along the way.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:04 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,336,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
The long one! Going home, we cross over to 95 and in SC get over to 81 all the way to 84. 81 is so beautiful in the spring through Virginia, I love those rolling mountains. It's a hundred miles more going that way but so much easier than 95 and trying to time it right going by DC to NYC. The restaurants and rest stops on 95 are wall to wall people. We did it once the first time down in one car, there's no way we could keep together, safely, in two cars. We travel with pets too which makes for a many more stops along the way.
What a dull life we lead. We're merely staying put. But Spring has sprung and soon the dogwoods, redbuds and wild plums will be regaling us with color and the oaks and other deciduous trees will be leafing out. Our favorite time of the year is upon us replete with April showers a bit early but most welcome.

No drought here and the thousands of springs will continue to provide millions of gallons a day of fresh water while the rivers, streams and creeks will continue to flow. Life is good in these here Aux Arcs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement