Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2015, 09:04 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
This evening was one of those rare, unexpected perfect ones. We went sailing on the Hudson and a nice westerly wind let us sail up and back with no tacking. I had packed dinner and we had a cup of coffee after which was nice as the temp was 68 and felt cooler with the stiff breeze. We came in after the sunset and nightfall. The full moon is two days away and it was never very dark. No noise other than the slap of lines, an occasional boat passing by and the sound of seagulls and geese; our idea of a good time.

Attachment 156540
It would be hard to beat this post. Perfect day/evening. Reminds you of why you are where you are.

Old 08-28-2015, 02:16 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
This evening was one of those rare, unexpected perfect ones. We went sailing on the Hudson and a nice westerly wind let us sail up and back with no tacking. I had packed dinner and we had a cup of coffee after which was nice as the temp was 68 and felt cooler with the stiff breeze. We came in after the sunset and nightfall. The full moon is two days away and it was never very dark. No noise other than the slap of lines, an occasional boat passing by and the sound of seagulls and geese; our idea of a good time.

Attachment 156540
That looks and sound like as close to an ideal evening as possible.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:06 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
Awesome pics, jean!!! Are you still selling in NY after this year?

48F this morning brrrrrrrrr.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:14 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,755,086 times
The plan is to sell but we aren't in a hurry, DH will retire in 5 years and we'll get serious about it before then. I say we are doing a slow move; I've got boxes packed to go south with us of things I can live without in NY and can use in FL.

DH did put the boat up for sale with a broker mid summer, a bit late in the season but a step forward. We leave for FL in two weeks and will put the boat on the hard and winterize her after Labor Day. When the boat sells, I predict we'll get serious about unloading the house.

That boat and stolen evening sails were what kept me sane and centered in my working years. Cross country skiing did it for me in the winter, when we had snow. There were quite a few warmer years during winter before we moved to FL though.

We like to do things involving nature and quiet, but we do mix it up a bit. We took a trip to NYC when the kids/grandkids came a couple of weeks ago. It's always a treat that is fun and exciting and things like that in small doses is perfect for me. We made time to visit the 9/11 Memorial and it was incredibly beautiful and unsettling at the same time. I'm glad we went.

The Eastern bloc guy at the parking garage was one the best experiences though. We had driven down a long ramp and then balked at the quoted price per hour, which wasn't posted at street level. We had rented a large SUV that seated seven for the day. The guy had my DH get out and he got behind the wheel, executed a perfect three point turn and then drove it up the ramp, all at breakneck speed. That was better than any amusement ride. It was even better when he directed us to a cousin's parking lot three blocks away for a third of the price. Gotta love NYC!

The first year we moved to NY we went hiking on a nearby mountain and when we got to the top, we saw all the sails on the Hudson out for a holiday weekend. I can still picture that scene clearly 30 years later. We got a little daysailer the next year. It took two years before we got a kayak in FL. If there's water, we find a way to be on it.

I do love NY and FL both, and we make the most of wherever we are.

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-28-2015 at 06:56 AM..

Old 08-28-2015, 10:42 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,905 times

Attachment 156540

I agree with everybody! It sounds like it was a perfect evening. We all need a special point in time to focus on, and hold and treasure. One that we can remember, and pass down in a family story. Thanks, Jean!

Old 08-28-2015, 10:58 PM

Re: The nudist camp -- Naw, it won't work in the city, folks! We have one out here north of Phoenix, up in the mountain foothills near Cave Creek, Carefree, or maybe unincorporated. The roads are so hilly and curvy, and there are stone pathways/driveways which go over small hills and you can't see what is over the hill. That's the kind of place to have a nudist camp, in the middle of no-where....I understand the members are up in age -- possibly there are rules saying you can't bring your grandchildren along....

Old 08-28-2015, 11:14 PM

Re: The nudist camp -- Naw, it won't work in the city, folks! We have one out here north of Phoenix, up in the mountain foothills near Cave Creek, Carefree, or maybe unincorporated. The roads are so hilly and curvy, and there are stone pathways/driveways which go over small hills and you can't see what is over the hill. That's the kind of place to have a nudist camp, in the middle of no-where....I understand the members are up in age -- possibly there are rules saying you can't bring your grandchildren along....

Old 08-29-2015, 05:09 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
just for fun............

//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ationship.html

I would have liked to see what JFK and Jackie would have been like, but thankfully he never effed around on me

Old 08-31-2015, 05:37 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
just for fun............

//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ationship.html

I would have liked to see what JFK and Jackie would have been like, but thankfully he never effed around on me
I opted for George and Winifred Banks from Mary Poppins. He was the responsible "establishment" spouse and she was the radical feminist/bohemian (hippie) wife.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:01 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
I don't wake up easily these days and am starting my morning later and later. I know this is counterintuitive to retirement, but I'm trying to find, online, a small digital alarm clock with a really gentle wakeup sound...like a soft ding or a light gong... I do not want the nerve shattering kind of sound that jolts you out of a deep sleep and makes you put a pillow over your head. Does anyone have a suggestion, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement