Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2015, 10:47 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
What is the sound like?

medport medglider is the name but I can't find one online now for what I paid. Amazon is out although they have other types and I bet you could find one at a drugstore. It has sound options. I chose a soft beep. I don't hear it when I'm out of the room but the dog does.

I use it to take 4 pills a day instead of the timed release version. More than a hundred dollars a month cheaper

Old 09-01-2015, 11:25 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nygal2nc View Post
riverbed: I have a flip phone that has an alarm in its settings. You can choose the sound you want and the volume. I prefer it to a regular alarm clock. With clock radios i usually hit snooze too many times, but don't seem to do that with my phone alarm.
apologies to riverbird!!

Old 09-01-2015, 08:03 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I recently adopted a cat that would get me up at 4 a.m. For a retired person (me) that doesn't go to bed till 1 a.m., this was not a good thing. I kept her for a couple of months hoping she would change her ways, but ended up having to take her back. Still feel bad about doing that, but I need to get enough sleep, too.
Sorry to hear that. Cats are nice pets.

I usually wake up around 4 AM because I "gotta go" ... if you know what I mean.

Sometimes I sleep the whole night through without having to wake up, but more often than not a trip to bathroom is necessary. Some of the guys in my Thursday Men's 55+ group say I'm lucky because they complain about having to get up 2, 3 or more times a night.

I don't know if it's the same with women, but we guys have a prostate gland and with age it sometimes prevents us from completely emptying our bladder when we do go.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Sorry to hear that. Cats are nice pets.

I usually wake up around 4 AM because I "gotta go" ... if you know what I mean.

Sometimes I sleep the whole night through without having to wake up, but more often than not a trip to bathroom is necessary. Some of the guys in my Thursday Men's 55+ group say I'm lucky because they complain about having to get up 2, 3 or more times a night.

I don't know if it's the same with women, but we guys have a prostate gland and with age it sometimes prevents us from completely emptying our bladder when we do go.
Thank you for what you said about the cat. I still question if I did the right thing. And still miss the one I had to have put down.

Anyway, women don't have prostates but we have plenty of other stuff that can shift with time and cause similar problems.

Hope you will consider seeing your doctor.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:33 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
My neighbor was working in his yard when he was startled by a late model
car that came crashing through his hedge and ended up in his front lawn.

He rushed to help an elderly lady driver out of the car and sat her down
on a lawn chair.He said with excitement, "You appear quite elderly to be driving."

"Well, yes, I am," she replied proudly. "I'll be 97 next month, and I am now old
enough that I don't even need a driver's license anymore."

He asked "How do you know?"

"The last time I went to my doctor, he examined me and asked if I had a
driver's license. I told him, yes and handed it to him."

He took scissors out of the drawer, cut the license into pieces, and threw
them in the waste basket, saying, 'You won't need this anymore.'

So I thanked him and left!

Old 09-02-2015, 06:41 AM

RiverBird: I knew a family whose father was still driving (still had the D.L.) but every time he went out, he had a new dent or scrape on the car. When I protested and said the man should not be driving, some day he will kill someone, they all said, oh we just can't do that. He likes to be independent.

Crazy.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:44 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post

Hope you will consider seeing your doctor.
Not only have I been seeing a urologist twice this summer, endured tests and so on, but my final appointment is tomorrow. My prostate was examined and even biopsied - no problems and it's not enlarged. They say I simply have an "overactive bladder" and I suspect there is some kind of medicine for that.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Not only have I been seeing a urologist twice this summer, endured tests and so on, but my final appointment is tomorrow. My prostate was examined and even biopsied - no problems and it's not enlarged. They say I simply have an "overactive bladder" and I suspect there is some kind of medicine for that.

Only my opinion, FWIW, getting up once through the night doesn't seem like a worrisome thing. Several times a night, I think it would be.

Glad you've been checked by the doctor.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:41 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/...tural/971.html

Old 09-02-2015, 09:37 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Many seniors have overactive bladders, me too. There are herbal remedies for that, if you'd like to avoid the meds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement