Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2015, 03:14 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,610 times

Advertisements

NYgal glad to see you posting but sorry that you're in such a stressful situation. Hope your medical diagnosis turns out ok.

RiverBird your trip sounds wonderful. Any pics to share?

Old 09-18-2015, 06:21 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Thank you RiverBird. Nobody knows where she is getting her strength to stay alive, but somehow she is doing it. She isn't eating or drinking, weighs about <95 lbs. Skeletal. I've told her the angels are waiting for her and when she is ready they will take her. That she will see our parents and our sister again. I've been exhausted from this. I'm not doing anything except trying to be supportive to her.

I feel pretty much the same as you. Nothing about death to be afraid of. I'm not absolutely positive I believe anything about afterlife, etc., but what does it really matter, anyway.
Please don't sell yourself short. The kind of attentive care you're giving your sister is, I believe, critical to a peaceful passing. Knowing that someone cares and you're important to them is the best palliative treatment I can think of.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:34 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
NYgal2NC, you are doing the right thing. Compassion is something that seems to be missing so many times in this dog eat dog world. You are the exception to the rule.

We just got back from a hectic three week road trip in England. I had never seen the southwest of England--I have now! dh did all the driving, day in and day out. We stopped at a different motel every night and finding places to stay was a challenge. Seems you have to book a few days in advance but with a road trip adventure where you play it by ear, you never know where you're going to end up.

Now I'm sitting up in the middle of the night due to jet lag and am uploading my pictures to PhotoBucket.

If there's an ideal climate to retire to, it would be England. Cool, fresh air, mostly sunny but enough showers overnight so that you don't have to water the garden, they still have walkable downtowns, and no Medicare plans to agonize about. In the south of England there are palm trees and beaches, you have easy access by air or tunnel to Europe, there are cheap holiday package deals. Retirees get all sorts of freebies too--free cable tv after a certain age--and not because they are poor, it seems like more of a respect thing, like you deserve it for working and contributing all those years. And there is so much natural beauty always close at hand, that I don't know how the people stand it. I always hate coming back from England.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:49 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
That sounds perfect, what a lovely trip. I hope you post some pics.

England/Wales/Scotland and the outer islands are places I really want to visit. Our son's in-laws just returned to their place in England and we have a standing invitation to visit them or use their place when they are traveling.

At our son and DILs wedding we were amazed at how well travelled all of DILs relatives were; traveling is second nature to them.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:36 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
NY2gal, may the Valkyries carry her on their backs to the Summerland, to be free of earthly pain when she is called. Remember the love and the joy, do not feel sorrow when you hear her name.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:27 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
NY2gal, may the Valkyries carry her on their backs to the Summerland, to be free of earthly pain when she is called. Remember the love and the joy, do not feel sorrow when you hear her name.

I love this CCc girl....... so beautiful. Thank you for the words and the images they conger up for me.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:12 PM

492 posts, read 405,466 times
My thoughts are with you and your sister, NYgal2NC.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:32 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,189,978 times
Hello everyone -- I just wanted to pop in and say "Hello" ! I've been resting for a few days, under the weather with an out-of-whack thyroid gland. I have a new dose from my Endo, so hopefully will feel better in a couple weeks. NYGal, I hope your test goes well. I get those ultrasounds every couple of years and they are a piece of cake and don't take very long, maybe 20-30 minutes. I'm thinking and praying for you and your sister. AZDesert, your home town is in the news down here -- both the paper and tv -- it is all about the Freeman Farms Pumpkin Patch --- What's the scoop? I hate to see a pumpkin patch closed down!!!

Old 09-20-2015, 05:33 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Here's a radical, revolutionary thought: There are rational, objective truths which exist outside of and independently of our own emotional fields. Not everything is personal.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:42 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Lots of new energy after being in Maine for four days. Being away in September outside of the usual places people go (the high-traffic beaches and hangouts), where there's peace and quiet and time to think (or not think), is a recharger.

We plan to go to our inland and also coastal spots in Maine throughout the winter. Dogs are welcome at the wonderful pet-friendly hotels. I'm always surprised how quiet and respectful pet owners are at these places, and how quiet the dogs are. We never hear a single bark! It's so easy to strike up casual conversations with other pet owners who thankfully could take their loved ones along with them instead of sticking them in a kennel.

We met one retired couple from NJ who had their little dog with them along with two bikes on top of their SUV. They travel all over New England to take long bike rides on the most beautiful designated trails (miles and miles) with their dog in the bike basket. What a life! Ours had a terrific time with us just walking, and enjoyed a long run on the beach after 6:00 pm when they are allowed there. They only stuck their paws in the sea and retreated. Other dogs (the labs, bless their hearts!) dove into the waves and swam happily.

Nice to be back but we're already planning the next trip over Thanksgiving weekend. (–:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement