Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 06:02 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times

Advertisements

Maya Plisetskaya ~ The Dying Swan '87 - YouTube

The legendary Maya Plisetskaya performing The Dying Swan (Camille Saint-Saens) after retirement, age 61!

What other amazing feats by retirees???

What has inspired you to do things in retirement that you never had time for or thought you could do?

Who is your inspiration?

What do you long to do creatively now?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 06:42 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,667,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

The legendary Maya Plisetskaya performing The Dying Swan (Camille Saint-Saens) after retirement, age 61!

What has inspired you to do things in retirement that you never had time for or thought you could do?

Who is your inspiration?

Properly typing "Plisetskaya" at age 61 and properly pronouncing it at any age......are accomplishments in themselves...LOL

Old 09-11-2011, 07:35 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:

Who is your inspiration?

Not a thing, no one, nuttin' honey.! I had my "creative" years while I worked. These are my relaxing and enjoying years. If I do something, anything, it's because I want to. If i do nothing, that, too, is my choice, and a viable one.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
I have a 94 yr old friend that climbed all the 14,000ft mtns in Colorado AFTER retirement @ age 68+, (all 55 of them, some several times). He just helped a friend build an airplane last yr. He got lost / wilderness bound in Alaska when their raft capsized (3 other old guys (all in their 70's)). That had to be an adventure for a few days, till they happened upon their deflated raft. This guy also just switched from MS computers to MAC and can run circles around me with interfacing Many devices. (he laughs (at himself) A LOT, when most would be cursing 'technology glitches')

I am impressed with:
Many elder musicians (who learned AFTER they retired).
Several friends have become very accomplished photographers.
Another neighbor couple homesteaded (cleared and developed) a rural place, built a house, airstrip, hangar, machine shop (all after age 70).
One neighbor couple have 'wallpapered' their guest room with blue ribbons from 'county fair' projects they took on and learned AFTER retirement.
A previous co-worker just won a national championship in wood carving (had never carved till 3 yrs ago)
One friend wrote and published a book.
A twice retired boss (one career as a submarine commander), took up 'kite-boarding / wind-surfing' post age 70. He can grab a lot of air !!!

Many 'retirees' take on caregiving responsibilities that are no less than monumental. They get my vote

While many run for local public service office, mentor youth, often WAY OUTSIDE their comfort level.

I am amazed everyday at the talent, inspiration, resourcefulness, and helpfulness of my 'retiree-peers'.

There is a lot of fun yet to be discovered.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Not a thing, no one, nuttin' honey.! I had my "creative" years while I worked. These are my relaxing and enjoying years. If I do something, anything, it's because I want to. If i do nothing, that, too, is my choice, and a viable one.
Well "doing nothing," in some peoples's minds, is "wasting time." IMO, it is not. Being close to nature and enjoying things is also a vocation of sorts, esp if it's with awareness and appreciation and a sense of gratitude. That in itself is an inspiration. So I applaud you!

Old 09-12-2011, 06:40 AM

Stealth,
Your post above reminds me of the book I recently read on Scott Nearing (1883-1983). He inspired the whole contemporary homesteading movement, co-authoring with his wife Helen "Living the Good Life." Even though I can't follow in his footsteps in terms of homesteading, he's a great life inspiration. I hope to visit their final homestead in Maine this fall.

Last edited by RiverBird; 09-12-2011 at 07:32 AM..

Old 09-12-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Well "doing nothing," in some peoples's minds, is "wasting time." IMO, it is not. Being close to nature and enjoying things is also a vocation of sorts, esp if it's with awareness and appreciation and a sense of gratitude. That in itself is an inspiration. So I applaud you!
"Nature" has been the best part of our move here and reawakened in me a love of photography; an old hobby dredged up from the depths of my youth. Now in this age of digitalization I am having to teach myself how to take advantage of it since I no longer develop, enlarge and print my own pictures.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
"Nature" has been the best part of our move here and reawakened in me a love of photography; an old hobby dredged up from the depths of my youth. Now in this age of digitalization I am having to teach myself how to take advantage of it since I no longer develop, enlarge and print my own pictures.
Why don't you post here a picture of your lovely part of the country? Did you know you can turn any digital photo with good resolution into a great print of just about any size through a process called giclee printing? Mathjak, on another forum, and his wife are photographers and he has posted some amazing digital photos. I'd love to be reminded of the Missouri fall!
(Have the leaves started turning yet or is it still Indian Summer?)

Old 09-12-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
It's Indiaqn Summer which should become full fall in two days (keepin' fingers crossed). Here's a cliff over a stream that shown the karst landscape prevalent throughout the Ozarks
Is that a cliff in view of your house/garden??? It's gorgeous! Looks like an Indian cave? I remember taking my kids when little to some cave south of Columbia Missouri. It was amazing, really lets you experience the power of nature--the original artist.

P.S. Love your house! Just my D-ex's style Is that you sitting on the porch whittling a stick?

Old 09-12-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Why don't you post here a picture of your lovely part of the country? Did you know you can turn any digital photo with good resolution into a great print of just about any size through a process called giclee printing? Mathjak, on another forum, and his wife are photographers and he has posted some amazing digital photos. I'd love to be reminded of the Missouri fall!
(Have the leaves started turning yet or is it still Indian Summer?)
It's Indian Summer which should become full fall in two days (keepin' fingers crossed). Here's a cliff over a stream that shown the karst landscape prevalent throughout the Ozarks - limestone with a very thin layer of topsoil:

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/294745_2226181892137_1175481688_32290488_555219677 _n.jpg (broken link)

Here's the stream:

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/304039_2226201052616_1175481688_32290505_472467773 _n.jpg (broken link)

Here's one morning's "take" from the raised bed vegetable garden a month ago:

http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/283499_2104857979115_1175481688_32147717_8314786_n .jpg (broken link)

How Ozarkers used to live (and some still do).

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/215558_1831995117714_1175481688_31845217_103394_n. jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement