Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 08:43 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times

Advertisements

Is it natural as you get older to want to do more with others or is it the opposite?

I come from a very social family, all my sibs have tons and tons of friends and all that. Since I have limited vision and had to work a lot, I've been a little left out on the friends end of it.

I have acquaintenances and I know a lot of people but how to get to know better? Do people want this as they get older?

Is this why 55 plus communities are popular for some?

I know some people just like solitude but I don't think I'm one of them. So, am I weird?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 08:59 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
I totally agree with you. I went from tons of friends - then as everyone's careers/family etc... heated up many of us have lost touch. I worked a lot and had a stressful job so I rather enjoyed some solitude when I got home but now - I'm retired and need to get back in the game. You are not weird OR maybe we both are weird.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:12 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile Last night....09/11/11

My husband and I went to a prayer service which was very nice. I was listening to him and he was a little blabbermouth!! I kind of got the idea he was feeling a little lonely himself - just had that feeling.

Well, I'm glad there's someone else who feels like I do - thanks! My husband is an only child so he was used to growing up alone but I was not. My parents' door was always open; there was always an extra door for that dinner "guest" - when my mom passed away last year, there was over 300 at her memorial service.

I still work a lot but I need to start morphing out of working 100 hours a week and maybe just work 70 or so (ha, ha) - long story.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:39 PM

361 posts, read 737,524 times
Just a comment...
I think also that your world/universe narrows a bit as you age.
People die, friends fall away.
Maybe it happens gradually, but the losses accumulate.
Used to talk to my mom a lot, we'd phone at least weekly.
Would talk to my ex-spouse often too.
They are gone, and I miss them.
I never had a ton of close friends, but those I have very much enrich my life.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:25 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
I have one really good friend I have known for 55 years. Currently we live 4.5 hours apart, but speak on the phone at least once a week. I have made quite a few friends since we moved. Mostly acquaintances, except for two neighbors, who we all help each other out. This past month we are building a deck on one of their houses.

No one will ever replace the friend I have had for 55 years. Our memories, good and bad, are entwined. I've never needed a lot of friends. My mom always said, "if you have one true friend in your lifetime, then you are a rich person." Guess I'm very rich.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:43 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I'm the exact opposite. Sometimes I just long for some quiet time to read a book or just do...nothing. I love my life and my friends but it can get hectic and demanding too.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:36 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
I love peace, quiet, solitude and tranquility. Thankfully, my wife is the same. It's not that we shun social interaction. It's out there for the taking and periodically we do avail ourselves of it. But in the main we live a simple, peaceful life; friendly with our neighbors but not overly involved with anyone but ourselves.

It works well for us. Others' mileage may vary!

Old 09-16-2011, 01:10 AM

391 posts, read 788,137 times
I only need to be near other people and I'm OK. If I go somewhere, coffee or Im on a jobsite or go to the gym or anywhere, I know everyone within a few days. Lots of jokes, fun, chatting. Love it... all I need.

But I love to sit alone and seldom hang real close with people so I can read the paper and have my own thoughts..love that too. Perfect balance for me. Maybe its because I grew up with 8 kids, parents pets and my grandmother in a 900 sq ft house.

But if I did not have that, I'd get depressed.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:32 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Bette: you're not weird at all; you like being social and that's who you are; we're all unique.

I am on the side of preferring a few friends and not being social with a lot of people. I enjoy quiet times being by myself to read, watch a movie, be on the computer, or whatever it is I feel like doing. My age or being retired has no bearing at all - it is who I am.

There are no rules here: "What's right, is what's right for each of us".

Old 09-16-2011, 06:52 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
I have the right mix of social right now....if there is too long of a lull, I simply throw a dinner party!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement