Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 09:37 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Beautifully put.

I don't appreciate seeing folks gaming the system (whether welfare or disability) . . . but a society without compassion for its frail, disenfranchised, elderly and children is soulless.
Welcome to 2012 Republican candidates

Old 09-20-2011, 09:42 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I totally agree with you, my parents planned as well for their retirement. My father did not have any degrees but he did serve 20 years in the AF and was very astute in certain financial matters (saving) but had limited knowledge in investing other than land.

I guess what burns my crawl is the people that were fortunate enough not to had to struggle but yet try to deny the ones that do
You hit on something that I have been watching carefully the last year . . . seems the "blame" for our economy is being assigned to the wealthy.

I believe that the scions of wallstreet who were so greedy as to sell derivatives that sent our whole economy into a downward spiral are no less than criminals. I am still mad as hell that folks are not serving prison terms over this mess!

But it seems to me that the national discussion has somehow shifted to "the wealthy" as some kind of demonic group of people who are denying the rest of us middleclass folks the life "we deserve."

This is troubling, as most people who Obama has tagged as making over $250K a year are by no means "wealthy." Now, look at folks making millions a year - like Oprah and Bill Gates and Warren Buffett - those are the wealthy amongst us. But those folks, and studies show - the majority of others at the top of the earnings pile in this country - do a lot of charity work and give back to their communities (indeed, all of society). They HAVE shared their wealth, first by providing over 50% of the taxes.

So I am concerned why the emphasis is not being put on kicking the moochers and system-gamers off the welfare rolls instead of beating up those who have managed to make the most money (and contribute the most to our tax coffers).

I find this perplexing.

Seems to me that everyone would agree that we have way too many people getting way too many handouts who don't legitimately deserve them . . . and get that aspect of the equation under control . . . while figuring out ways to raise revenue by getting folks back to work.

Our federal piggybank didn't break b/c the wealthy weren't paying enough taxes - clearly they ARE paying the bulk of taxes! The bank is bellyup b/c we have overspent on programs that should not even exist . . . and we have troops deployed all over the globe.

Instead of concentrating on such things as changes in rules for HUD vouchers . . . politicians cut Medicare and talk about upping the retirement age for future workers to receive SS. Now, maybe Medicare should be cut! Maybe people should work longer! But at the same time . . . let's take a hard look at all the OTHER entitlement programs out there, wh/ are perpetuating dependency on Uncle Sam's coffers.

For ex: HUD vouchers. Why should a person who gets a high dollar voucher in NYC be allowed to transfer that high dollar voucher to a low cost city, and still keep the same dollar amount for that voucher? That is sheer insanity. The voucher should be reduced to the same amount local residents get. These are the outrageous provisions that cost taxpayers billions a year, yet no one is examining.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Just think, some of these so-called tea party er teabag candiates want to link social security into the stock market. All that will do is line up their wall st pals with more money to play with and more to lose to their cronies
Well, it seems that is how the media is spinning it, but the actual thought behind it is that this takes the money out of the hands of politicians who have been raiding the Social Security fund for 40 years - and using that money to fund other programs.

Remember Al Gore's "lockbox?"

I don't think anyone is pushing an agenda to hand over money to wall street. If the SS system allowed for each of us to take at least a portion of the same money that is now being withheld from our checks, we could put it in IRAs, mutual funds, or money market funds. It would be a decision we would each make. It wouldn't be deducted from our checks and then handed to wall street, lol.

I believe I could have invested my money better than the federal government has. It's all gone. The property I have bought is still there and paid for. I own it. More than I can say for the hundreds of thousands hubby and I have paid into the federal gubments treasure chest.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
I am a registered Republican who would be registered Libertarian if the party were strong enuff to back a candidate who could win, lol.

I am concerned that it appears rational thinkers are being labeled as soulless when all the GOP leaders are trying to do is get debt under control. No one is suggesting cutting out benefits for people who need them.

Sad that the media has twisted things around so badly that instead of listening to the message - CUT THE DANG BUDGET - that people think the GOP is only interested in their "wealthy friends."

Just for the record, I think Obama is a dismal leader, but I don't think anyone on the GOP campaign trail right now is that sparkling, either. However, demonizing folks who are trying to find solutions to our DEBT SITUATION is heinous - and that is exactly what the media has been doing. Why, I have no clue.

I don't mind if you tax me a bit more if it helps get us out of debt and I don't think most folks do. However, at the same time, I expect our leaders to cut out the fraud and wasteful spending that has brought this country to its knees. I don't think that is too much for anyone to ask and can't imagine that any taxpayers in this country would feel differently. ????

Old 09-20-2011, 10:23 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
Quote:
... No one is suggesting cutting out benefits for people who need them. ...
Benefits have already been cut for people who need them, at least in California.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
You hit on something that I have been watching carefully the last year . . . seems the "blame" for our economy is being assigned to the wealthy.

I believe that the scions of wallstreet who were so greedy as to sell derivatives that sent our whole economy into a downward spiral are no less than criminals. I am still mad as hell that folks are not serving prison terms over this mess!

But it seems to me that the national discussion has somehow shifted to "the wealthy" as some kind of demonic group of people who are denying the rest of us middleclass folks the life "we deserve."

This is troubling, as most people who Obama has tagged as making over $250K a year are by no means "wealthy." Now, look at folks making millions a year - like Oprah and Bill Gates and Warren Buffett - those are the wealthy amongst us. But those folks, and studies show - the majority of others at the top of the earnings pile in this country - do a lot of charity work and give back to their communities (indeed, all of society). They HAVE shared their wealth, first by providing over 50% of the taxes.

So I am concerned why the emphasis is not being put on kicking the moochers and system-gamers off the welfare rolls instead of beating up those who have managed to make the most money (and contribute the most to our tax coffers).

I find this perplexing.

Seems to me that everyone would agree that we have way too many people getting way too many handouts who don't legitimately deserve them . . . and get that aspect of the equation under control . . . while figuring out ways to raise revenue by getting folks back to work.

Our federal piggybank didn't break b/c the wealthy weren't paying enough taxes - clearly they ARE paying the bulk of taxes! The bank is bellyup b/c we have overspent on programs that should not even exist . . . and we have troops deployed all over the globe.

Instead of concentrating on such things as changes in rules for HUD vouchers . . . politicians cut Medicare and talk about upping the retirement age for future workers to receive SS. Now, maybe Medicare should be cut! Maybe people should work longer! But at the same time . . . let's take a hard look at all the OTHER entitlement programs out there, wh/ are perpetuating dependency on Uncle Sam's coffers.

For ex: HUD vouchers. Why should a person who gets a high dollar voucher in NYC be allowed to transfer that high dollar voucher to a low cost city, and still keep the same dollar amount for that voucher? That is sheer insanity. The voucher should be reduced to the same amount local residents get. These are the outrageous provisions that cost taxpayers billions a year, yet no one is examining.

Nice, show of outrage, now where is it that you point out that there are wealthy that are doing absolutely NOTHING as far charitable contributions or even paying their fair share in taxes! Obviously all of the wealthy are not good people, just like they all are not bad either. To lump them all together is just as wrong as lumping all of the people that need temporary help from the government together as well. Sure there needs to be adjustments as to how benefits are paid to the poor as well as how government contracts are given to corporations. The only reason that people are ganging up on the poor is because they do not have high paid lobbyist in Washington

Old 09-20-2011, 11:24 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,408,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
I'm so sorry for your relatives whose financial advisor appeared to have taken advantage of them.

That being said, I'm curious...how could someone assure them they couldn't lose their initial investment if it was linked to stocks? The only way you could make such a claim would be if the investment was insured, but AFAIK stock-related products are not...or are they?
I have no idea what the plan is called, but I also have friends who lost a lot of money that I think was in their 401k when stocks fell, and they switched to the same type of plan my relatives told me about.

Now they can't lose their investment no matter what happens to the stocks. They will gain if stocks go up, but they won't lose anything from their initial investment.

Of course, it's too late to bring back the money that was lost, but at least they can't lose more.

No idea on the particulars. It's hard to question someone too closely about their personal finances beyond what they volunteer.

Anyway, I would have invested in gold myself. According to the alternative sources I read, hyperinflation is most likely going to make any wealth held in dollars worth very little.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:49 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Just think, some of these so-called tea party er teabag candiates want to link social security into the stock market. All that will do is line up their wall st pals with more money to play with and more to lose to their cronies
Quote:
OK! That's two. I think we get it. You're a liberal Democrat. Big deal! Both parties are responsible for the horrible financial condition of the country and neither has a lock on the necessary fix. If either one did, the other would explore every available, internecine way to see to it the other didn't succeed. They're all more interested in preserving their "power," positions and party than they are in the good of our country.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:22 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
OK! That's two. I think we get it. You're a liberal Democrat. Big deal! Both parties are responsible for the horrible financial condition of the country and neither has a lock on the necessary fix. If either one did, the other would explore every available, internecine way to see to it the other didn't succeed. They're all more interested in preserving their "power," positions and party than they are in the good of our country.
Exactly, exactly, exactly. They are all alike.

Does anyone else recall with fondness that scene in Mars Attacks where the Martian Ambassador shows up in the Capital ostensibly to address Congress and then vaporizes them?

Old 09-20-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I am a registered Republican who would be registered Libertarian if the party were strong enuff to back a candidate who could win, lol.

I am concerned that it appears rational thinkers are being labeled as soulless when all the GOP leaders are trying to do is get debt under control. No one is suggesting cutting out benefits for people who need them.

Sad that the media has twisted things around so badly that instead of listening to the message - CUT THE DANG BUDGET - that people think the GOP is only interested in their "wealthy friends."

Just for the record, I think Obama is a dismal leader, but I don't think anyone on the GOP campaign trail right now is that sparkling, either. However, demonizing folks who are trying to find solutions to our DEBT SITUATION is heinous - and that is exactly what the media has been doing. Why, I have no clue.

I don't mind if you tax me a bit more if it helps get us out of debt and I don't think most folks do. However, at the same time, I expect our leaders to cut out the fraud and wasteful spending that has brought this country to its knees. I don't think that is too much for anyone to ask and can't imagine that any taxpayers in this country would feel differently. ????
One of the probelms in Washington is that the tea baggers ONLY goal is to remove Obama from the White House! damn the American people! they proved that by blocking the debt ceiling negotiations. Listen closely to what some of them are saying "deregulation" is code word for less clean air and less food/safety inspections which means bigger profits for the corporations see Koch brothers and their paper mills. I can understand people being mad at the "moochers" but their are people that are really suffering. Here is something else to think about, if the tea baggers are really concerned about spending, how come they are not looking at trimming the over bloated politician's salaries like they did with the government workers? They get six figure salaries on top of lobbyist bribes and all the perks in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement