Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 03:19 PM

6,869 posts, read 11,179,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Never said we don't exercise........just can't exercise like people who haven't had surgeries. We still walk, but not far. We swim in our apt complex pool, when we can and the weather cooperates. We get on treadmills during the winter months when it's just too cool to walk outside. We get exercise using our boat, when we can due to weather/tide conditions. So, we do get some exercise, but perhaps not enough to assist in loosing weight.......but we keep trying! As far as our eating and drinking goes, just can't cut out the burgers, fries, pizza, steak, baked/mashed potato or the few Bud Lights we drink during the week and weekends when it's warm-to-hot like it is now.
My husband grew up as an only child and developed very poor eating habits. His poor mom just didn't know at the time. At the age of 13/14, he was close to 100 pounds overweight. She took him to Weight Watchers, he lost 75 pounds and also grew at least 8-10 inches.

He still follows that today - he eats burgers all the time - good ones too with all the goodies but he skips the fries and only eats half!! Then, he eats that the next day. He has kept the weight off for more than 40 years.

He is 5 pounds away from the weight he was when we got married.

Try for one month - cut everything in half and see what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 03:27 PM

6,869 posts, read 11,179,433 times
Smile Zumba

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Jasper, keep an open mind about the health club. I never thought I was a health club type and avoided them like the plague or any exercise other than walking and stationary bike riding. Then I joined a club two years ago and became a gym rat! As I said in an earlier post, I do everything: yoga, pilates, kick boxing, water aerobics, step, weights, Zumba and Latin dance. I am having a ball---and my body never looked this toned even when I was younger. I fully believe that the stretching and strengthening my core (believe I joined the club, I didn't even know I had a core!) has prevented a back injury (I was starting to feel tight/stiff in my lower back.) I've met interesting people and have developed a better attitude, not taking myself so seriously (difficult to do when trying to get a 57 yo body to do downward dog!) and just enjoying the moment, no matter how dorky I may look 9such as with the dancing).

Let us know how you do...
Jazzcat - do you think some of the toning is from Zumba? I just do it sometimes at home when no one is there (my son laughs at me - in a nice way) but have you seen a change? Also, I love the music!

Old 09-25-2011, 11:39 PM

8,882 posts, read 20,254,083 times
There are times that we will share a breakfast or dinner when eating out. When I BBQ burgers, they are the Steak Burgers (somewhat larger than regular ones) and my wife will eat 1/2 for dinner and the other half goes in her lunch the next day for work. At times we will find Chef Salads at our local grocery store that are on sale and buy a few of them. They sure make for a great lunch.

We took a nice walk to our local GoodWill store on Saturday morning. It's only a 1/2 mile RT (I think), but it's better than no walking at all.

To start and keep going a healthy food plan with the right amount of exercise to lose weight can be extremely tough. It takes motivation, discipline and a whole lot of devotion that many just don't have or want to do. Yes, we will all complain about the pounds we really need to lose, but a large number of us will do just that.......complain and that's it. Sometimes it's much easier to complain than it is to change eating habits and go thru the hurt/sweat from exercising. We may still get a membership into our local YMCA for swimming. We both love the water and our apt complex pool isn't always the cleanest!
These things are for sure:
We can't stop taking necessary meds that very well could be contributing to weight gain or not being able to lose weight.
When aches/pains arise during or after exercising that come from previous surgeries, those aches/pains will definitely deter us from doing much or any exercising. I know when my hip or ankle starts aching from walking (sometimes), I want to "throw the towel in" and stop.....but we don't (thank God). My wife's feet will hurt after a walk, but we do walk again in a few days.
When people LOVE to eat, and eat the wrong stuff too much, it's really hard to stop.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:07 AM

5,586 posts, read 8,348,131 times
Why does no one ever mention the sure-fire, GUARANTEED way to lose weight -- burn more calories than you take in! Go to an on-line calorie calculator and figure out how many calories you are eating per day at your current height/weight and current level of activity. Then calculate how many *fewer* calories you should be taking in, or *more" calories you should be burning off, in order to lose a few lbs. per week. This will be a combination of eating lower-calorie foods, portion control, and amping up your exercise. Prepared foods will have the calorie count right on the box, or you can estimate the calories if you're making your own or eating out. Stick to it religiously, and you WILL lose weight. You can still have your pizza or beer, but you have to factor it into your total calorie count for the day. It's the same concept as Weight Watchers but, for me, it's easier and more logical and feels less like a "diet". When you reach your goal weight, you can go back to a "maintenance" level of calories. I've been extremely successful in staying within 10 lbs. of my ideal weight for the past 10 years, using this method. I weigh myself almost every day so I can nip problems in the bud before they get out-of-control. I must say, though, I don't regularly partake in burgers, fries, chips, beers, etc. These are reserved for a rare treat.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:54 AM

A rare treat for us is a Sugar Free Chocolate Cake, but the rest isn't rare enough or not rare at all.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:10 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,396,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Why does no one ever mention the sure-fire, GUARANTEED way to lose weight -- burn more calories than you take in! Go to an on-line calorie calculator and figure out how many calories you are eating per day at your current height/weight and current level of activity. Then calculate how many *fewer* calories you should be taking in, or *more" calories you should be burning off, in order to lose a few lbs. per week. This will be a combination of eating lower-calorie foods, portion control, and amping up your exercise. Prepared foods will have the calorie count right on the box, or you can estimate the calories if you're making your own or eating out. Stick to it religiously, and you WILL lose weight. You can still have your pizza or beer, but you have to factor it into your total calorie count for the day. It's the same concept as Weight Watchers but, for me, it's easier and more logical and feels less like a "diet". When you reach your goal weight, you can go back to a "maintenance" level of calories. I've been extremely successful in staying within 10 lbs. of my ideal weight for the past 10 years, using this method. I weigh myself almost every day so I can nip problems in the bud before they get out-of-control. I must say, though, I don't regularly partake in burgers, fries, chips, beers, etc. These are reserved for a rare treat.
Excellent post! Too many people seem to be looking for that magic diet aid that will help you to lose weight overnight with little effort. Well, you didn't gain it overnight...so you won't lose it overnight either. In fact, I believe studies show that you will be more successful in keeping off the weight if you lose it gradually.

Check out the calorie and sodium counts on the packages you bring home from the supermarket...you will be shocked. Go to the websites of your favorite chain restaurants and look for the calorie/sodium content of your favorite meal...you may very well faint.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:15 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,396,248 times
Quote:
We can't stop taking necessary meds that very well could be contributing to weight gain or not being able to lose weight.
When aches/pains arise during or after exercising that come from previous surgeries, those aches/pains will definitely deter us from doing much or any exercising. I know when my hip or ankle starts aching from walking (sometimes), I want to "throw the towel in" and stop.....but we don't (thank God). My wife's feet will hurt after a walk, but we do walk again in a few days.
When people LOVE to eat, and eat the wrong stuff too much, it's really hard to stop.
Have you talked to your doctor about what kind of exercise you CAN do? I don't recall if you mentioned this in your earlier posts...I do remember there were certain things you were told not to do. I think your doctor would be very supportive of you and your wife striving for a healthier lifestyle via exercise and healthy eating. Seek his advice.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:41 AM

Oh we know the exercises we can do or tolerate......don't need to pay for a doctor's visit for that! All doctors strive for a healthy lifestyle of exercise and eating to all of their patients whether the patient asks about it or not. I told a doctor, that I was seeing last year, that wife and I take a very good multivitamin from GNC. He told me "multivitamins don't do a thing for you if you eat right". I instantly looked at him and said "Doc, what about if a person does eat right??" He gave me a starry look as to say "don't sas me boy. I'm the doctor, end of story!" and that was the end of that appointment with him. I don't go to him anymore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Have you talked to your doctor about what kind of exercise you CAN do? I don't recall if you mentioned this in your earlier posts...I do remember there were certain things you were told not to do. I think your doctor would be very supportive of you and your wife striving for a healthier lifestyle via exercise and healthy eating. Seek his advice.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:14 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,568 posts, read 57,493,759 times
awe for the love of swimming (I REALLY miss Colorado, where we had many indoor swimming options)

@ work, we used the HS across the street for a noon-time dip. 72 laps in 1/2 hr and a fresh shower @ lunch does wonders for your afternoon work level. While working in Singapore, we had a pool on the roof, great place to escape during a rough day. (I also miss 'flex-hours', last time clock episode was age 15 (until last month!!!, I didn't even know they HAD them anymore)

I am 30+ miles from my nearest pool that is affordable ($2.30). The Y is 22 miles away but is $7!!!. Colorado resource is still $0.75 for a swim and shower. (miss that too)

I love the 'deck-level' pools more popular in the rest of the world (kinda like affordable healthcare )...
What are the advantages of a Level Deck swimming pool compared with a Skimmer swimming pool? | PSP Swimming Pool Services (http://www.professionalswimmingpools.com/2011/09/what-are-the-advantages-of-a-level-deck-swimming-pool-compared-with-a-skimmer-swimming-pool/ - broken link)

RE: Dr. advice... my experience has been very poor, tho more recent hospital / HMO resources that are promoting holistic health are often worthy of attending. Diet + exercise + mental / emotional activity. I go about 1/month to a health discussion and have learned a lot in my old age...

Old 09-26-2011, 01:08 PM

That should've said "doesn't eat right"! Sorry.

Quote:
Oh we know the exercises we can do or tolerate......don't need to pay for a doctor's visit for that! All doctors strive for a healthy lifestyle of exercise and eating to all of their patients whether the patient asks about it or not. I told a doctor, that I was seeing last year, that wife and I take a very good multivitamin from GNC. He told me "multivitamins don't do a thing for you if you eat right". I instantly looked at him and said "Doc, what about if a person does eat right??" He gave me a starry look as to say "don't sas me boy. I'm the doctor, end of story!" and that was the end of that appointment with him. I don't go to him anymore!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement