Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 08:02 PM

6 posts, read 91,506 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

I am retired and have Blue Cross of Southern California (Anthem...new name) for both myself and my husband. From what I understand, if we move out of state, we will lose the insurance. Of course if we just visit, we will receive 40% coverage rather than 20%. Am I missing something here, or is this true?

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks for the help.

Mesq
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 08:52 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Insurance is regulated by each state so you cannot buy insurance across state lines but out of area coverage with an existing policy will vary. Call your insurance company. We bought new insurance after our move and unfortuantely it is quite a bit higher.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:10 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
We moved to another state 4 years ago and simply applied for a new Blue Cross/ Blue Shield policy. Our insurance here is actually cheaper than CA. Don't cancel your original policy until you get your cards/declaration letter.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:09 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
Thanks, all of you. I never realized that health insurance plans and coverage did not stay with you no matter where you lived.

It makes perfect sense, however, considering the cost of health care varies from one state to another and from a small town vs. big cities within a state.

I'm glad to have the heads up on this before our move to our retirement state.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:01 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
What do full time RV'ers do for health insurance?

Old 05-26-2008, 08:08 PM

I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around all of this because my insurance is paid better than 75% for me and cannot be cancelled, which I suppose I would lose if in another state. I will be calling my employer and insurance company tomorrow.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:44 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,910,487 times
We are in the same situation as Mesq. My husband's employer pays the total cost of our health coverage based on our current plan after retirement. We currently have an HMO in MA. When we move to TX we will have to change coverage to the PPO plan, which has a deductible and higher co-pays.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:02 PM

leorah,

We do have a PPO plan now with a $500 deductible for my husband for another year and a half until he reaches medicare. I'm on medicare, so no deductible from supplemental Blue Cross, however, it does cover vision and other sundry things when on medicare. We don't have the choice of an HMO, but not sure I want it anyway. I'm a bit ignorant of HMO's, and perhaps I need to learn more.

I'm hoping others that have BTDT will chime in and let us here what they have done or not if they chose to move to another state.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:44 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
I believe that full time RV people need to pick a home state. In order to vote you need a permanent address. Could be a small condo, relative etc. You would pick your home state for insurance as well. RVers will probably chime in if I am mistaken.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:00 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesq View Post
Hello All!

I am retired and have Blue Cross of Southern California (Anthem...new name) for both myself and my husband. From what I understand, if we move out of state, we will lose the insurance. Of course if we just visit, we will receive 40% coverage rather than 20%. Am I missing something here, or is this true?

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks for the help.

Mesq
When I moved from MD to TN, I kept my Blue Cross. It was called Care First in MD and it's called Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Tennessee, here. I did get a new card. Before I moved, I called and they sent me a Tennessee book of doctors and services. Call the number on the back of your card and they'll transfer you to the Blue Cross in the state you are moving to and they'll answer your questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement