Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 08:00 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,010 times

Advertisements

I also started using the internet rather early--in 1980, when yes, there was an internet, although we called it "the net", and it was the original network devised by the US military. Based on the UNIX operating system. When I took maternity leave in 1980 I had a 3-baud modem at home so I could work part-time. We bought our first home computer a couple of years later--an Atari ST with a 68000 processor. Our son played his first video games on that. Our first 12-baud modem cost about $1200!! (Baud = bits per second.)

I was a computer professional for 25 years, and my husband, as a physicist, has been involved with computers since the 60's. He has written many a computer program in multiple languages plus maintains several websites professionally (even tho he's already retired.)

So internet access is very important to us, we have a wireless router, both have laptops, wifi smartphones, tablets, plus a desktop computer.

Cellphones are not big deals for us, although we do carry them. I use my smartphone much more as a little computer than as a phone, although I admit I do find text messaging very handy.

I'm 63, my husband 68.

Last edited by Wwanderer; 10-03-2011 at 08:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 09:39 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
Cell Phone
ATM Card
Yes, to all!

I started using a computer in the early 90's, at a job, and loved it then and love it now. One advantage I have over some in my age bracket, I took 3 years of typing in high school and knew the keyboard when I first started using a computer......no "hunt and peck" for me! I do a lot of research on the internet and sometimes buy things. I'm involved in different forums and on Facebook. I check credit card accts. online as well as banking. Heck, I even order my prescription meds online and get them thru the mail! All of our photo's use to be on CD's until I transferred them to USB Storage and print out some photo's on our printer. I use a desktop and wife uses a laptop. So, YES, I'd definitely say that we use our computers! In fact, wife and I installed more memory, a DVD/CD Player and a Video Card into our desktop computer!
Got rid of our "land-line" back in 2003 when we each got a cell phone. No texting or internet access, just calling coming in and calling out. For some years when I was single, I had a Pager instead of a phone.
Do pay bills with checks, in the mail.
Use to have all our home movies on VCR tapes until 5 yrs ago when I transferred all of them onto DVD's. I did it myself using an old VCR hooked up to a DVD Player/Recorder we had and still do. Now all photos are on USB Storage and all home movies are on DVD's!
We have a Blu-Ray DVD Player and a couple of other electronic toys.
I really feel like an "old techie" sometimes!
We both use a computer almost every day!
We are both in our early 60's.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:51 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
I have everything but the cellphone. I will have to give in and get one. I kept holding off trying to find one that worked in my house. I live in a cellular 'hole'. I did finally find ONE provider with service here.

I am the most resistant to having a cell. Probably because I was a phone slave all my working days and I don't LIKE being instantly available all the time.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:21 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,010 times
My husband resisted a cellphone for a long time because he doesn't like talking on the phone, period. But when the iphone came along he had to have one, and I encouraged him by reminding him that we could text each other instead of emailing him.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:32 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
I have a cell phone but NO texting
but have resisted an ATM card as I just find I don't need it. I pay cash or use Credit card. Our land line has only local service. I don't pay for a long distance service as it comes with the cell phone plan. Also at this time we have no cable TV or Dish service. May think about having Dish installed soon. We found that the Direct TV plan that is advertised is one that you pay the full amount they charge per month and then the following month they credit you for an amount to make it what is advertised on TV. Very strange

Old 10-03-2011, 12:42 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,197,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post

I personally do not know anyone who is in their 60's who does not have a cell phone, internet access, email, or an ATM card. Seriously.
Same here.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:43 PM

698 posts, read 1,051,557 times
i'm 68 and have:

computer, internet access, use e-mail every day, increasingly instead of telephone. have used for 18 years.
cell phone, no texting. use cell occasionally, but use land line more frequently. have had cell for 15+ years
basic cable, no movie chanels. get dvds from netflix- mainly old movies, and pbs series
atm card ( debit ) which i use frequently and instead of cash
pay bills by check, not on-line

Old 10-03-2011, 03:04 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
I guess making a statement like that on the computer is silly since every senior posting here has a computer and email

Old 10-03-2011, 05:04 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
No cell phone. Well I have to qualify that by explaining I had one but gave it up to save the monthly fee. I hardly ever used it so I decided that in times when I did, like maybe traveling I would just get a pay-as-you-go phone for around $20.00.

I have and use e-mail extensivly. I also use my ATM debit card when needed.

I pay bills online.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:18 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
Default The OP was asking about other people you know.

Not that it matters much, but I failed to make it sufficiently clear in the OP that I was curious if you know other people who do not have these modern things (internet connection, cell phone, ATM card, etc.). I had pretty much assumed that those of us posting here had those things, or at least the internet connection/email. Still, the responses have been interesting, there is no harm done, and the fault is mine. A few responses did focus on other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement