Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 01:18 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times

Advertisements

Sounds great, but it could be a " be Careful what you wish for). Things might work well, but remember you carved out a lifestyle starting 56 years ago, living with an old friend gets old and its a fact !
What ever you do, you are now on your own. Age will starting creeping up on you quickly. Then , one day you realize you are OLD. First thing you should rent the movie " Bucket List". Think about how it may apply to you. Forget Thelma and Louise, thats not real life, and you don't sound like the type....So what ever you do, make a bucket list if you do not already have one. A long list and a short list. Then, at your age now, go for the long list, it may be your only chance. There must have been all those years chained to a family table, something you always wanted to do. Do it Now, before you move in and get accustomed to chairing your life for someone else. I know its a long time distant relationship, but often those are the worst kind. Domestic violence start at the home, we are never too old to take a part in it ! Do not commit monies with any thing or any body, do what you always wanted, and then settle down with whats left. Trust me, at almost 71 , feeling like 40 , I am still marking off my list.( on the long list ). I want to see the subarctic once more and fly in a bush plane to the most remote place in North America, one or two days will be enough,Thats number ! . The second one is kinda personal, just say it involves being on my own or with someone new....or as in my case the girl I almost married 37 years ago, but did not. Your home will be where your heart is, and if its in your Car, back yard, or living with a relative, just keep the door open a little bit. ( You might want to rent your house out for a year, then sell. The Housing market is going to boom once again, but this time people will be very picky, short on cash, many having influential to be somewhat Mobil, and, its actually a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 08:15 AM

5,580 posts, read 6,506,670 times
darstar, you mention a girlfriend from 37 years ago. I had my first real boyfriend at age 16, unfortunately I was his first girlfriend as well. I have thought about him often over the years, and have gotten some information from the internet, but just text stuff (he is on his second marriage, has two daughters now instead of one). So I looked last night and went back 10 pages or so in Google search and actually found a picture of him from 2004. It was small, but I could tell he had gotten heavier, I couldn't see his face well, but he had the face shape of the Pillsbury Dough Boy! I shoulda kept my memories (and the one pic of him at 18 that I love). Are you sure you wanna look up your old girlfriend? I recommend you keep her in your mind as a memory.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:25 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
darstar, you mention a girlfriend from 37 years ago. I had my first real boyfriend at age 16, unfortunately I was his first girlfriend as well. I have thought about him often over the years, and have gotten some information from the internet, but just text stuff (he is on his second marriage, has two daughters now instead of one). So I looked last night and went back 10 pages or so in Google search and actually found a picture of him from 2004. It was small, but I could tell he had gotten heavier, I couldn't see his face well, but he had the face shape of the Pillsbury Dough Boy! I shoulda kept my memories (and the one pic of him at 18 that I love). Are you sure you wanna look up your old girlfriend? I recommend you keep her in your mind as a memory.
You make a good point. I also searched for several years, and since she is somewhat a public figure, working for same firm all these years( about 36)in the makeup/hair styling field. I have left messages in search sites as a lark, then one day I got an email. We talked back and forth in several emails, I know her Looks from public events in Chicago. It was not a disappointment !
However , as you say , many things might , or should be left alone. She was married at lest once, has a 15 year old thats her pride and joy ( I presume she is still married), and does not want to rock the boat in any way, or ,as I was told. by Her. Then she stopped responding about a year ago now. I left one nice open invitation,( to be friends sort of)..have not heard a thing since. Maybe I scared her off, I hope not., but at lest I did make contact, that alone is worth a lot to me, after so many years of looking and remembering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement