Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2016, 01:14 PM

2,275 posts, read 1,670,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
^^^^^^^^^^ I think for me the "perfect" place is right where I am. It took me a while to figure that out. When I was really hot to move, go to another state, in fact I was trying to run away from certain circumstances. I'm older, have been divorced many years, have 2 kids but no relationship with either one. So I day-dreamed about moving, meeting new people, not talking about the past, just starting over and being a new "me".
At some point over the past six months or more, I received the gift of acceptance. It was the best gift I have ever received. I thought about all the things I would be leaving, realized that if I needed a change of scenery for a little while I could drive to one of the prettier (to me) areas of my state (NY). It's probably a good thing I do not have a lot of money. Not having a lot of money made me realize how fortunate I am to have what I do have.
I remember when you were thinking about moving to Winston-Salem, I think. As someone who has lived in both Central NY and NC, I think you made the correct decision to stay put.

Although some may disagree, that particular area of NC is beautiful but might be more difficult to blend in with new friends, activities, etc. Church life (Bible Belt) is very big there if that is of interest. Many more transplants (tons from NY) relocated to the Raleigh-Durham area, Wilmington or Charlotte but expenses have increased.

You have some lovely spots near you now including the Finger Lakes, Thousand Islands, and Adirondacks so I hope you can take some drives to enjoy them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 01:22 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
I remember when you were thinking about moving to Winston-Salem, I think. As someone who has lived in both Central NY and NC, I think you made the correct decision to stay put.

Although some may disagree, that particular area of NC is beautiful but might be more difficult to blend in with new friends, activities, etc. Church life (Bible Belt) is very big there if that is of interest. Many more transplants (tons from NY) relocated to the Raleigh-Durham area, Wilmington or Charlotte but expenses have increased.

You have some lovely spots near you now including the Finger Lakes, Thousand Islands, and Adirondacks so I hope you can take some drives to enjoy them!

Thank you for what you wrote. I think I "had" to go through that restless period to find the contentment I am feeling now. Life is good once we figure that out.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:12 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
Nope moved to a resort area up north. Mount Desert Island, home of Acadia National Park. Never regretted it in the least.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:25 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Nope moved to a resort area up north. Mount Desert Island, home of Acadia National Park. Never regretted it in the least.
Maine was one of 3 states we were considering for retirement. It's been our vacation spot for years. Last few times we looked at houses to see what we could get. Ultimately we decided that staying in NY is right for us. Part of that decision included the ability to drive to Maine when we wanted a getaway.

We usually go Mid-Coast but have been to MDI several times. Love Bar Harbor and Acadia is beautiful. - - especially if you have the chance to get there outside of the summer tourist season as we have. I've read many of your posts on the Maine thread so I know how you feel about the tourist invasion but hey, it helps the economy up there.

Really glad it worked out well for you.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:04 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,302,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
My gut feeling tells me that after years of living in an area- say its up north like me- you get accustomed to a lot of stuff and conveniences and scenery and just and the way people are. Even if people are kind of crazy. It's home. But in the back of your head, you just hate the snow. So you get this grandiose idea to move somewhere warm.

You get warm, but you lose everything else. Everyone has different ideals, and that doesn't sound like anything, but I think it is. Everything is different, from the supermarket to the land to the churches.

So I think for me, the best bet would be to stay in PA for 9 months, and then January to March, try someplace new every year. Kind of like a long vacation out of the snow.
I think yours is a great idea.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:00 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
We moved from South Florida to a town in the burbs north of Atlanta. Wanted to be close to daughter and grandkids. That part has been wonderful, but it has taken 10 years and moving twice in the general area to find a place where we could make connections with the people. It's much better in this area and we have finally made friends, but don't know if I'd do it again if I had it to do over.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:40 AM

77 posts, read 103,336 times
Quote:

So I think for me, the best bet would be to stay in PA for 9 months, and then January to March, try someplace new every year. Kind of like a long vacation out of the snow.
If you were to reflect back on the places where you spent those 3 months, which one or two or three would be the best?

Old 12-02-2016, 07:30 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikelysuspect View Post
If you were to reflect back on the places where you spent those 3 months, which one or two or three would be the best?
I probably wasn't clear- I'm still in my early 50s, so I'm not retired yet. So I can't answer that. I've looked around a little bit to see if it would be affordable (i.e. are long term rentals available?) and I think it is. It still will take money, but I think we can pull it off.

But right now, this is my plan. I can't see where it would be any worse from a cost standpoint than buying a second home somewhere and keeping two homes. Just need a big SUV and maybe a small trailer to get stuff back and forth to last three months. Then back to the Burgh where the spring summers and fall are just fine.

I'm sure areas in Florida would be on the list- I like St. Augustine, West Coast of FLA for Spring Training, Central Texas where we used to live and have friends, Arizona (again Spring Training), heck even Northern CA. I like areas of NC and Tennessee. But being East- probably up and down the Eastern half of the US. I can put up with anything for three months, and if I don't like the attitudes of the people I'm not stuck.

I could probably pull it off with a big RV too, but that seems to me like more of a pain.

That being said, I have neighbors who have second homes in Florida and Hilton Head respectively, and they seem to like going to the same place every year, January-April. I guess it works if you like the people around you and make friends, and can afford two houses. The people in Hilton Head though say they may get something in Florida instead. While it is warmer in HH, its still fairly cold and winter like, just without the snow.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:46 AM

2,275 posts, read 1,670,725 times
Quote:
I probably wasn't clear- I'm still in my early 50s, so I'm not retired yet. So I can't answer that. I've looked around a little bit to see if it would be affordable (i.e. are long term rentals available?) and I think it is. It still will take money, but I think we can pull it off.

But right now, this is my plan. I can't see where it would be any worse from a cost standpoint than buying a second home somewhere and keeping two homes. Just need a big SUV and maybe a small trailer to get stuff back and forth to last three months. Then back to the Burgh where the spring summers and fall are just fine.

I'm sure areas in Florida would be on the list- I like St. Augustine, West Coast of FLA for Spring Training, Central Texas where we used to live and have friends, Arizona (again Spring Training), heck even Northern CA. I like areas of NC and Tennessee. But being East- probably up and down the Eastern half of the US. I can put up with anything for three months, and if I don't like the attitudes of the people I'm not stuck.

I could probably pull it off with a big RV too, but that seems to me like more of a pain.

That being said, I have neighbors who have second homes in Florida and Hilton Head respectively, and they seem to like going to the same place every year, January-April. I guess it works if you like the people around you and make friends, and can afford two houses. The people in Hilton Head though say they may get something in Florida instead. While it is warmer in HH, its still fairly cold and winter like, just without the snow.
If you are not trying to establish another residence for tax reasons, I think your plan is the way to go.

We owned a condo at the beach for a decade but it was just too much worry and we felt the expense was not worth it. We do know several folks from NY who have a second home in FL for 6 months and they enjoy their time there, but it is also for tax reasons.

My parents simply rented 3 months a year in FL and that worked out great for them as they had friends who returned every year. I think it extended their lives to be able to get out of the ice and snow and enjoy outdoor activities all winter.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:07 PM

77 posts, read 103,336 times
Quote:

I have a similar mindset about staying, yet vacating for 3 months. We have friends that return, time and again, to their timeshare in Cozumel. We went with them a three times and I was surprised at how livable it is for American retirees. I talked to some folks from the Midwest, where we also live, that have returned to rent for 20 years, the last 10 in the same house, from January through the end of March. They love it, and want for nothing more than to do just that. Their comfort level and their feeling of security is very positive. The Mayan people are very lovely and family oriented.

So, we will try that in the future, for 1 month. We are thinking about trying different locations throughout SA each year, based on the advise of those that we will meet that already do that. The pull for me is the bluest water and for my husband is the opportunity to speak Spanish. Not thinking of buying, just renting.

I've talked to folks about the RV, those who have done it and given it up. It's a lot of money, up front and can be very tiring, but it does get you "out there". I thought about doing that around the Great Lakes in the summer with a small trailer, but I'm not sure about that. I would rather put the money toward renting something each year in a place quite unlike what I already know and love "up north".

I know some folks that think that Hilton Head is the center of retirement universe, because they golf. Other than golfing, they do little else. We don't golf, so if one doesn't, it's probably not the best place to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement