Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 03:22 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times

Advertisements

For health purposes, wood flooring, no carpet, and no synthetic materials. Carpet collects filth, easily, and synthetic materials off-gas. Some nice wood flooring will be perfect. I would think it might improve his health and well-being right away.

And no throw rugs for that population!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 03:30 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
Do not confuse the newer viny sheel flooring products with the older linoleum products. They are like day and night difference.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:24 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile Will take a lot

The living room is small but is connected to the dining room (smaller). The living room is a step down and the dining room is on the same level as when you walk in.

So, I'm not sure if it should all be the same or not. It sound like the vinyl sheeting would be great for the kitchen. There is a small eat in area in the kitchen.

The existing flooring in the kitchen is hideous. I honestly have never seen anything like it.

But, then again, my parents had an aqua kitchen (puke) at one time. Sorry if you like aqua but you had to be there

This is after having such a stately home in the Chicago suburbs.

Title should be: Will take a look.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:07 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
There is a new kind of linoleum flooring that looks like hardwood, but it's actually linoleum. It's easy to clean up wet and dry messes and looks pretty darn good. You might want to check that out because this might be the perfect application for this product.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:14 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,317,781 times
a friend of mine is in a wheel chair and had to replace her flooring because the chair made ruts in the carpet and laminate.

don't know if this is a factor but she chose tile and wood as being more sturdy and retaining its integrity.

OTOH, I fell and fortunately hit on the hardwood and didn't break anything. It it had been the tile I probably would have broken a hip.

so guess it depends as well on mobility.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:17 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,380,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
You won't find much carpeting in the living areas of a nursing home and there is a reason for that. Go out to an upscale elder care facility near your home and look around and get some ideas.
I agree completely. Having had many clients that were skilled nursing facilities, I recommend flooring that is easy to clean and disinfect. We also use flooring smooth enough that a patient can scoot their walker across without getting stuck, but very slightly textured to prevent falls when it is wet.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:51 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Vinyl flooring when wet - slippery.

Carpeting, even wall to wall good quality like Berber -
Anyone wearing soft-soled shoes like sneakers can easily catch the toe on the nap and fall forward and down - esp on stairs. My late elderly mother fell twice on carpet, my ex-MIL did too and wound up in a cast.

Marmoleum - softer, all natural version of real linoleum; can be installed in floating squares, not slippery when wet.

Cork - good surface for standing on; can be installed in floating squares, easy to clean, does not "catch" like carpet and does not have a smooth surface like vinyl that can be slippery when wet.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:59 PM

570 posts, read 1,340,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Given his age, I'd recommend some form of low-nap carpeting. It's easier to walk on, provides better traction, would cushion possible falls, is quieter and warmer under foot. If treated against stains and cleaned approximately every six months it can be kept/made reasonably hygenic.
Exactly - low nap carpeting. The elderly can slip very easily on wood or tile. The carpet would help prevent falls, keep the floor warmer and provide cushion. And the low nap will be easier to clean than deep shag. No area rugs, due to the risk for falls.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:03 PM

570 posts, read 1,340,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
You won't find much carpeting in the living areas of a nursing home and there is a reason for that. Go out to an upscale elder care facility near your home and look around and get some ideas.
Part of the reason for this is to enable the frequent, 'hospital-grade' cleaning needed in nursing homes, which generally isn't needed in private homes. Most flooring products often found in private households wouldn't hold up to that type of cleaning.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:24 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
I would suggest wood flooring at least in an area where he eats. I have never understood carpet in kitchens or dining rooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement