Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 08:29 AM

327 posts, read 526,522 times

Advertisements

We're around the 50-year mark in this lifetime, and are experiencing an increasingly strong desire to relocate to a more congenial climate.

Problem is, whether and how much to take retirement considerations into account.

We like our careers and probably want to keep working for another couple decades. Who knows what we'll want then?!? Likewise, who wants to plan and execute a move at 70?!?

And that's not even bringing the uncertainties of Life into the equation...

Oy--My head hurts!

Especially for those in (or having navigated) a similar stage, much appreciated would be your: Anecdotes, Suggestions, Brainstorming, and in shorty any offerings that might help us prioritize and gain some more objective clarity around the whole issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 10:15 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,944,661 times
Visit the places you're considering. Research the job opportunities in your careers; will they transfer, is there a need for your occupation/profession?

Do it now while you can explore and weigh the options, handle the tasks of leaving and relocating, moving and resettling and starting over.

You answered your own question...if we wait? Wait for what?

Old 02-24-2012, 11:01 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I am 64 ;retired as is my wife of 59. We moved just 11/2 years ago. I certainly wouldn't move too soon before retirement. The key to moving at later ages is that you need to hire help. I also moved 14 years before and it wasn't much different really except perhaps working when we moved 14 years before made it actually harder.Once retired it opens many locations to moving that you can't consider when working also. Climate;area open up alot more omce retired when work is not a consideration. it doesn't mean you can't start plan that move at all and even savings for its cost.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:31 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
We retired at 62 and some 7 years later (at age 69) up and moved 120 miles away. The second move was stretched out over a few months and done little by little in several trips. I would hire neighborhhood teenagers to pack, and load a small Uhaul. Then pay others on the other end to unpack it and place things. Got to the point the house we were moving out of had little left in it. The final move I paid a local moving company about $600.00. I made it a point that my wife and I would lift little.

Back to the OP. If you know where you want to retire to then you might well considering relocating there now. I mean get jobs, sell present home, and relocate now. Start again but where you want to be versus have to be.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:01 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Back to the OP. If you know where you want to retire to then you might well considering relocating there now. I mean get jobs, sell present home, and relocate now. Start again but where you want to be versus have to be.
Why bother to move while still working? They could find they don't like the new place and could have to move, yet again. Makes the most sense to wait until retirement to move to the retirement spot.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:43 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Yakimono, I would recommend that you go ahead and move now to a more congenial climate. If you both can find new jobs in a more congenial climate and in a location that pleases you, I would say go ahead and move now without worrying about later retirement.

At age 50, you probably will not work two more decades as you anticipate. You will probably retire earlier than you think and before reaching age 70.

You can always move again later upon retirement.

I moved at age 57, lived in the new location for 5.5 years, and then moved again upon retirement at age 62. It can be done.

I think you should do what you want right now at age 50 and not worry about your potential retirement in the future - you can always move again if desired.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:57 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
We moved out of the snow and cold to Florida 40-years ago and have never looked back. If you really want to live somewhere else, why wait?

We have, however, moved within Florida 3-times; most recently in 2011, from mid-Florida to the Florida Panhandle (That is as close to the Arctic circle as I'm going). Having retired in 2008, we decided to move closer to kids and grandkids. It's been a big change (after living on the East coast of Florida for the past 27-years) ... but, things are starting to fit together.

Logistically, I would rather take a beating or endure a root canal ... than move. But, then, I don't suppose many people move because they enjoy packing boxes or re-arranging furniture. We simply paid a moving company to pack and move ... and to store our 'stuff' until we found a permanent location. That's something you might want to consider, particularly in this economy and job market. Give yourself time to get settled into the area and your new jobs, before you make the move permanent.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:28 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
At 50... you probably have 15 years of work ahead of you...
and an established social circle in the town where you currently live and work.

Unless you can earn just as well somewhere else and/or don't much family or friends to consider...
then pass off the TG dinner and big crowd entertaining jobs and find yourselves a SMALLER home where you currently are. Ideally this smaller home will be well suited to your tastes and interests as well as your needs well into your dotage.

In addition to this (not instead of!)...
over the next few years explore OTHER spots for a vacation home to *maybe* buy...
some time in the *future*. Until then rent serially and seasonally and strategically while you SAVE.

In ten years time... see where you are.

hth

Old 02-24-2012, 02:37 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I think you should do what you want right now at age 50 and not worry about your potential retirement in the future - you can always move again if desired.
Good advice.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
So you want to move now but plan to work a few more decades but wonder if you should worry about retirement locations ?

If you don't want to stay there now and have 20+ more years of working in your mind then I would move to where you can enjoy those 20 years and then the last couple worry about retirement location.

If you dont like the weather now where you are, I can only imagine you will like it less and less each year for the next 20-something years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement