Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 12:44 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I live in Arizona and I think most people, who've never been here, picture a big hot inhospitable desert when they think about the state.

My future in Arizona:

Weather tollerance-fool-hollow-state-park-1.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 12:47 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post

My future in Arizona:

Attachment 86686
I know! Isn't it gorgeous? I'm just waiting for you to move here!

Old 10-29-2011, 02:03 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Pretty reasonable question by the OP, but really difficult to come to a consensus, imo...
I agree with many that heat/esp humidity and very cold temps get more difficult to feel comfortable with, or tolerate as we get 'older'. And while living in A/C in real summer locales is doable, the outside stuff/activities are reduced considerably. Living in colder climes allows for putting on gear and at least getting 'out', but real winter and the cooped up situ, wore my fanny out.

Back at the Geography/Locale Ranch, there are some very good places in the US where summers are not tropical nightmares, (western NC is one, as I spend 7 months here), and also provide for cool to cold, but brief winters.

The problem for the OP is any poster will have some anecdotal suggestions based on 'memory' of where they live/like to live, etc., as do I.

My only advice for a one house seeker of new locations is to be used to and accept lots of A/C in the summer in much of the US, or find some elevation that provides less hot summers w/out brutal winters...I am not poz I can rec'd a specific place with those parameters. Waynesville, NC and many areas of western NC comes close, based upon my decade here, but so does many parts of the western states, MT, WY, CO, et al.
My 50Cts...
GL, mD

Old 10-29-2011, 02:26 PM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Both a hip replacement and a rotator cuff surgery, of which the rotator cuff was due to a fall in ice/snow, was our decision not to live in a "snowbelt" area anymore! I got enough pain/achiness that I thought I wanted to buy Stock in Motrin! Yes, living in Denver, CO metro-south was great, but after having those two surgeries, had to sell our house, quit our jobs and move. Unfortunately, moving to Huntersville, NC wasn't a good move either. When thinking about where to move, we originally thought about FL, but people told us that hurricanes hit Florida every year and that gator were right outside houses and apartments ready to gobble people up. That certainly wasn't true, but they convienced us it was true. NC came into site due to Lake Norman and our love of boating. We didn't have a boat in NC, but did go out on LN a couple of times in someone elses......didn't like LN! And, it did get cold there and snow, not nearly like CO, but there was cold/snow that affected my hip and shoulder. After a year of living there, we got the opportunity to take a look, and move, to Jacksonville, FL and we did. Dont' need to think about buying Stock in Motrin anymore! Bought a boat here and the waterways are great! Yes, heat/humidity here, but are getting use to that and really don't want to see another snowflake ever again! We were SUPER GLAD when we gave away our snowshovel in NC! Still have our winter parka's and snow boots from CO, but will be putting them on Craigslist or E-Bay soon.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:14 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
Climate was important to us and it drove our choice to move out of Texas.

We looked all over the country and finally concluded that if we wanted no hard winters AND no hard summers the obvious choice is the west coast (skipping Hawaii). Various issues including taxes had us decide on Washington state.

Now after almost five years in Washington after decades in Texas our only regret is that we did not find a way to move sooner.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:14 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
If I were in a condo in a large building in a large city I would have year round climate control with automatic humidity adjustment and all air filtered. It probably would not matter what the temp. was outside so long as I did not have to go there.

If I HAD to step outside, I certainly would prefer the cold because I could bundle up enough to prevent problems. When it is hot you can only take off so many cloths and then you are just STUCK with the intolerable heat.

I think the northern coasts are the best areas for myself. The temps in the south and inland seem to be getting worse each year. People may not notice (unless they farm or ranch) because they are indoors with A/C.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:24 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Here is the scenery I'm looking for which is sooooo different from Texas.
Attached Thumbnails
Weather tollerance-southeast-id.jpg   Weather tollerance-north-idaho.jpg   Weather tollerance-blue-ride-mountains.jpg  

Old 10-29-2011, 06:32 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
If I were in a condo in a large building in a large city I would have year round climate control with automatic humidity adjustment and all air filtered. It probably would not matter what the temp. was outside so long as I did not have to go there.

If I HAD to step outside, I certainly would prefer the cold because I could bundle up enough to prevent problems. When it is hot you can only take off so many cloths and then you are just STUCK with the intolerable heat.

I think the northern coasts are the best areas for myself. The temps in the south and inland seem to be getting worse each year. People may not notice (unless they farm or ranch) because they are indoors with A/C.
There is no hope in the unbearable heat as far as clothing goes.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:09 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
I hate the heat and humidity in Houston and will be moving back to Little Rock when my husband and I retire. I can tolerate cold fine, as far as I can tell. Having lived in Los Angeles for the first 34 years of my life and then in Little Rock for the next 20, I prefer Little Rock.

The weather gets very hot during the summer in LR, but it does cool down in the fall. The fall is very pleasant with lots of beautiful foliage. Winters are moderate...maybe 2-3 snow events and the most I ever saw was around 4". Spring is glorious with mild temperatures during the day and chilly evenings.

Houston has only summer and not summer with summer lasting 7-8 months. Spring lasts maybe a week and Fall is pretty much non-existent.

I look forward to moving back to my little house in Little Rock and enjoying the four seasons again.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:14 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Default Older folks are less tolerant of BOTH heat and cold.

From talking to many older people over the years, I have concluded that, in general, we become less able to withstand BOTH heat and cold as we age. I admit my personal sampling is far from scientific, and that there may be individual exceptions. But if I am correct, then older folks need to look for a climate that avoids both extremes. If that's not possible, the normal route seems to be to resign oneself to being trapped in the air-conditioning during summer. Many people just accept that, although I could not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement