Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 09:41 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Awe, we took one. We sort of knew the Jags were going to lose and Miami was headed that way as well. Good time to have the snooze!
This has been a no nap day. I will make up for it tomorrow. Still up tonight and got little sleep Friday night making sure a smoking butt was ok. No nap yesterday because of house guest. Lotta make up to do tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 12:48 AM

801 posts, read 2,211,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Maybe most of it can be attributed to ancient age, but I also think lifestyle plays a factor . . . who drinks coffee at 10:00? If they went to bed at 10:00 and slept till 6:00, they might not need AS MANY naps . . .
Perhaps it would have been more accurate to say my parents increase their coffee drinking about 10 PM...because the pot is on about 16-18 hours per day.

Besides my parents, I have known a few other people in the 90-100 year old range. All of them had habits I could not figure out, and I realized I can't "get inside the mind" of people that age. The other thing I decided is that someone 90 years old probably doesn't need suggestions from me. In the case of my parents...it would be downright funny for me to suggest any changes to the behavior patterns it took them 90 years to evolve.

Maybe if we get to that age...we will understand that our habits may seem strange to younger people. But, my guess is, if we DO get to that age...we WON'T understand. Let's revisit this in about 30 years...

Old 10-31-2011, 03:53 AM

581 posts, read 1,187,469 times
Perfect example of retirement and naps. I work nigth shifts at my facility. It's around 0330 in the morning. It's nice, peaceful, and quiet and I'm getting my work done. My phone rings. It's my dad. He wants to know how to fix his Bookface (Yes, he calls it everything BUT Facebook). I'm like, "Dad. Wut? First of all, why are you awake this late/early. And second of all, WTH on the Facebook?" Said his afternoon "nap" turned into his afternoon sleep so he's up, sipping on some coffee and developing a plan on how to **** off all his children before 8am.

sigh...what can I say? I want to be him when I grow up.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:15 AM

5,327 posts, read 6,012,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortuga29 View Post
Perfect example of retirement and naps. I work nigth shifts at my facility. It's around 0330 in the morning. It's nice, peaceful, and quiet and I'm getting my work done. My phone rings. It's my dad. He wants to know how to fix his Bookface (Yes, he calls it everything BUT Facebook). I'm like, "Dad. Wut? First of all, why are you awake this late/early. And second of all, WTH on the Facebook?" Said his afternoon "nap" turned into his afternoon sleep so he's up, sipping on some coffee and developing a plan on how to **** off all his children before 8am.

sigh...what can I say? I want to be him when I grow up.
Love your post. Your father sounds great!

Old 10-31-2011, 07:02 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
This has been a no nap day. I will make up for it tomorrow. Still up tonight and got little sleep Friday night making sure a smoking butt was ok. No nap yesterday because of house guest. Lotta make up to do tomorrow.
That must be uncomfortable. It'd probably keep me up too!

Old 10-31-2011, 07:42 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
That must be uncomfortable. It'd probably keep me up too!
The funny thing is I know you knew exactly what I was talking about. It was a good one. How do you folks down there season yours? Vinegar, Tomato or Mustard base?

Old 10-31-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
The funny thing is I know you knew exactly what I was talking about. It was a good one. How do you folks down there season yours? Vinegar, Tomato or Mustard base?
I think they mostly go with a tomato base. I smoke and grill mostly with a variety of rubs but if using a sauce it's a combination of tomato and vinegar. Guess I'm just a heathen! Either that or I can't make up my mind.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:01 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
From a natural wellness source:

"The Benefit of a Power Nap: Studies show that 20 minutes of sleep in the afternoon provides more rest than 20 minutes more sleep in the morning (though the last two hours of morning sleep have special benefits of their own). The body seems to be designed for this, as most people’s bodies naturally become more tired in the afternoon, about 8 hours after we wake up...."

Old 11-01-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
From a natural wellness source:

"The Benefit of a Power Nap: Studies show that 20 minutes of sleep in the afternoon provides more rest than 20 minutes more sleep in the morning (though the last two hours of morning sleep have special benefits of their own). The body seems to be designed for this, as most people’s bodies naturally become more tired in the afternoon, about 8 hours after we wake up...."
That's all well-and-good but the crucial question is, how do you sauce your port butts there in New England before heading for a nap - Vinegar, Tomato or Mustard base?

Old 11-02-2011, 06:19 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
That's all well-and-good but the crucial question is, how do you sauce your port butts there in New England before heading for a nap - Vinegar, Tomato or Mustard base?
huh???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement