Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 05:05 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,317,781 times

Advertisements

I kinda think I might upon full retirement. Depends upon where I am and what is around.

wouldn't be against it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 06:18 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I think about it all the time.
I'm a bit beat up but still too young to be 'retired'.

If the economy were in better shape I'd be pushing for something more.
But I need *something* to get the juices flowing again.
This is where I'm at. I am one who misses working. I was in nonprofit arts management and there was always a drama at work, believe me. But especially when we were in production for a show or concert, it was really exciting, a real high. I'm now realizing how much I miss all this even though I was terribly overworked. I'm trying to stay busy but to tell the truth....

Old 11-02-2011, 08:12 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Well, as time goes by, now I find myself getting a little bored with retirement. I am considering starting a business, probably on line selling something, or something that a retired social worker could do, for money. Has anyone else thought of this solution to boredom and lack of retirement funds? If so, what have you chosen to do?

I have absolutely no business experience whatsoever. Have always been in the "helping professions" and now am stymied as to what I can do to increase my income, yet being aware of my physical limitations (arthritis) and other ailments (shrinking brain), pick an appropriate business. Any ideas? Find a need and fill it, so they say. Am looking for the "need".
I now realize I could never have been a stay at home mom/wife etc... I've grown tired of keeping myself busy with house stuff plus I find I get less and less done due to complete boredom with it all. I will be interested reading this thread. I need the old adrenalin high again.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:20 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
I know this thread is about doing something to make money . . . but I have seen where volunteering can lead to other opportunities for making money. So don't rule out getting involved in something that is interesting . . . we meet new folks, discover new opportunities . . .

I have friends who are volunteering for their local community theatre and have opened new doors for themselves - new friends, new social settings. One friend discovered jewelry making b/c another volunteer was into it - and now she is selling her jewelry online - and hoping to find a local boutique that will carry her "line."

You just never know where you might find inspiration!

Old 11-03-2011, 10:40 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I know this thread is about doing something to make money . . . but I have seen where volunteering can lead to other opportunities for making money. So don't rule out getting involved in something that is interesting . . . we meet new folks, discover new opportunities . . .

I have friends who are volunteering for their local community theatre and have opened new doors for themselves - new friends, new social settings. One friend discovered jewelry making b/c another volunteer was into it - and now she is selling her jewelry online - and hoping to find a local boutique that will carry her "line."

I do believe this is true. It isn't going to work if I just sit at home and try to think of a business to start. As a social worker, I could volunteer at a homeless shelter, for CPS, in a hospital, for foster care kids, etc. My concern is that sometimes I might want to tell them how to do things better, having been there. Am not one to just "go with the flow". As a volunteer, I think you have to be a little bit timid, even when you want to shout out WTH !! So, with that in mind, I will look for a volunteer "job" and TRY to keep my opinions to myself. Thanks for the suggestion !

Old 11-03-2011, 10:42 AM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

I agree. Volunteering is wonderful and it feels good to give back. Also, you are an inspiration to others.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I do believe this is true. It isn't going to work if I just sit at home and try to think of a business to start. As a social worker, I could volunteer at a homeless shelter, for CPS, in a hospital, for foster care kids, etc. My concern is that sometimes I might want to tell them how to do things better, having been there. Am not one to just "go with the flow". As a volunteer, I think you have to be a little bit timid, even when you want to shout out WTH !! So, with that in mind, I will look for a volunteer "job" and TRY to keep my opinions to myself. Thanks for the suggestion !
Yes, I DO know what you mean!

It just occurred to me . . . you would probably be the PERFECT person to volunteer as a Guardian ad Litem! And in that circumstance, your ability to "see how to do things better" might be a huge asset to the program.

Serving in that position would put you in contact w/ attorneys and paralegals and could be the foundation for offering your services as an expert witness in your field.

And here is another job you are likely qualified for: what about taking duty for a suicide hotline? Or an EAP or eldercare hotline? They typically require a LSW or nurse . . . and many hotlines are operated out of homes these days (especially for the night shift). Don't know what your certifications are or where you are located but . . . thought I would throw that out there.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I agree. Volunteering is wonderful and it feels good to give back. Also, you are an inspiration to others.
Absolutely agree. In the past, I have volunteered to help stock and create the boxes of food that a food bank distributes. Met some wonderful folks thru/ that program. I have friends who are doing "Meals on Wheels" . . . others who are volunteering thru/ schools to help w/ tutoring at-risk children in math and reading . . . I have volunteered at hospitals and nursing homes in years past . . .

Often, cities have various boards or commissions you can apply to serve on. That can be really interesting, i.e. Historical Society, Parks & Recreation.

And then there are the art galleries and community theatres . . . apply to become a docent . . . or help with concessions at a theatre . . .

Some volunteer positions have freebie benefits, such as free tickets to events. That isn't the same as earning some $$ but it sure can expand one's social outings w/o dipping into personal finances!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement