Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 10:18 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Yes. I feel the same way. I cancelled my paper and don't listen to the news. Just check online sources once-in-a-while. I can't handle the constant negativity . . .I used to be very involved . . .but I feel I can help in other ways (prayer and taking care of myself . . .I believe that as each of us heal we heal the Earth . . .woo-woo for many, but it works for me).
The earth is a major source of healing for those who allow it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 11:31 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
Stopped listening to news when I retired, especially related to politics. I gave up getting stressed listening to the politicians tell me what is best for me and not what the American people want. Sadly the ones who lead this country are the ones with the most money and fund raising lobbyist. DIY, HGTV and History Channels are my preference. If they break into my show with another political speech, off goes the TV. I can't change it, so why bother.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:33 AM

438 posts, read 1,115,220 times
I feel it's my duty as a citizen to vote and as a voter I need to be informed. I never watch TV news or listen to talk radio; I keep informed by reading a variety of blogs and news web sites. Before each election I study the ballot pamphlet and read as much as I can about the candidates and issues that'll be voted on.

I occasionally write my elected representatives about issues I feel strongly about.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:37 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Politics is like accidentally stepping in a pile of s**t. It's stinks to high heaven and there's nothing you can do about it. Even voting is a waste of time and energy as your vote doesn't count with the electoral college making the decisions for you...

Perhaps the line below my name should read "Actively pursuing apathy".

Old 11-08-2011, 11:52 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
What bothers me is I remember stuff and they learned it in school...and not the way I remembered it happening, either.

I love observing, analyzing and talking about strategy and motives in any kind of competition. Politics is no different but now I have more time to do it.

I'm way more informed now than I was when I was younger.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:34 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
I'm quite comfortable passing the torch and letting the next generation rule the world. They'll muddle through just like we did. I find that I'm not only letting go of worldly concerns, but I'm also letting go of worldiness. I don't really care about shopping any more, or having lots of things. Life is getting simpler, and I like that.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:47 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcaciaRose View Post
I feel it's my duty as a citizen to vote and as a voter I need to be informed. I never watch TV news or listen to talk radio; I keep informed by reading a variety of blogs and news web sites. Before each election I study the ballot pamphlet and read as much as I can about the candidates and issues that'll be voted on.

I occasionally write my elected representatives about issues I feel strongly about.
I feel, and do, the same as you as far as voting, being informed, etc.. I do a lot of research on the candidates and I don't vote a straight party ticket. I have family who do that and I think it stinks because they aren't voting for the "best" person. Okay...who *I* think is the "best person". lol And the weird thing is that some of them even agree with me and vote for their party anyway. I have to admit, when I was really young and just beginning to vote, I did the same thing. And I didn't research candidates like I do now. I had waaay too many 'other' things going on in my life to get really involved in voting/politics. The Nightly News was my main source of information.

I have never written to any of my reps. Call me cynical but I just don't believe that ANY of them tend to LISTEN to their constituents.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:52 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
What bothers me is I remember stuff and they learned it in school...and not the way I remembered it happening, either.

I love observing, analyzing and talking about strategy and motives in any kind of competition. Politics is no different but now I have more time to do it.

I'm way more informed now than I was when I was younger.
You are so right! lol I can remember all the way back to the end of WWII and most of the people I know these days graduated from high school in the 80s and 90s! What I lived, experienced, remember is something they'll never 'get' even though they do study it in school.

I am MUCH better informed now than when I was younger. I was too busy 'living life' to bother.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:13 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Exactly same here ^^^

I decided a few yrs ago to decrease my exposure to the pain & heartbreak & unfairness of our world. Certainly does not mean I don't care- or won't rise to some occasion for a cause that I feel strongly about...just worn out.... as was said by OP. It never ends.

No tv in my home-use the internet for all news, free tv shows & movies on hulu.com; I go to the beach several times a week for long walks along the sea.

Just quiet & pleasant last yrs for me, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
You are so right! lol I can remember all the way back to the end of WWII and most of the people I know these days graduated from high school in the 80s and 90s! What I lived, experienced, remember is something they'll never 'get' even though they do study it in school.

I am MUCH better informed now than when I was younger. I was too busy 'living life' to bother.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:04 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Exactly same here ^^^

I decided a few yrs ago to decrease my exposure to the pain & heartbreak & unfairness of our world. Certainly does not mean I don't care- or won't rise to some occasion for a cause that I feel strongly about...just worn out.... as was said by OP. It never ends.

No tv in my home-use the internet for all news, free tv shows & movies on hulu.com; I go to the beach several times a week for long walks along the sea.

Just quiet & pleasant last yrs for me, please.
Do you watch DVDs on a laptop, or pay for DVD streaming?

What do you get on hulu.com? I'll check this out!

And I agree about the pain and heartbreak. I am one who identifies really closely with others' pain/heartbreak. I had to stop watching the newsclips of our soldiers coming home, for instance...I carried a very heavy heart for them whenever I thought of them, but lack the resources to help...so I had to tune it out even though I do care very much.

May I ask what beach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement