Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 03:32 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times

Advertisements

^^
Yes I have a laptop....and it gets in bed with me at night so I can watch tv/movies comfortably. Just type in hulu.com and then choices of tv shows or movies comes up...free but must watch a few commercials. I see Parenthood, Desperate Housewives, The Good Wife and Pan Am. Most are available the day after airing. Also Colbert Report, Dateline, etc.

Movies I have been happy with...loving indy films, there are lot of those along with classics etc. No big budget films or recent films though. For me, beats paying for cable!

Folly Beach/Charleston SC.

=newenglandgirl;21631415]Do you watch DVDs on a laptop, or pay for DVD streaming?

What do you get on hulu.com? I'll check this out!

And I agree about the pain and heartbreak. I am one who identifies really closely with others' pain/heartbreak. I had to stop watching the newsclips of our soldiers coming home, for instance...I carried a very heavy heart for them whenever I thought of them, but lack the resources to help...so I had to tune it out even though I do care very much.

May I ask what beach? [/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 04:05 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Yes. When I was younger I honestly thought I could "help" and was quite optomistic about life if general. The older I get the more pessimistic I have become about our government and politicians, in general. Knowing that there's nothing *I* can do about it is disheartening. I DO still vote though and always will. Even if my candidate(s) lose I still have the right to complain about it. lol

Don't feel guilty about your attitude. There are a lot of us out here who feel the same way. I think we are all "tired".
Tired and bored with it all, i'd say. Nothing has changed in fact everything seems worse to me, cynical ? yes, but i now enjoy my days in my garden and lunching with friends,ok we talk a load of old rubbish but have a good fun. Like you i still vote as i owe it to the many women who fought for the vote and also to have my say.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:11 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,665,817 times
While the average day to day political/economic situations do not overall/personally affect me, I do not bury my head in the sand and believe they have gone away. To do so is naive at best.

My core beliefs (liberal and left) have not gone away nor changed much but now rather then wear my heart on my sleeve, I try and effect what I can with my vote, monetary donations, and polite/professional/educated persuasion more then personal outrage as I once did.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:44 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,426 times
I love worldly concerns!! It sure beats the shallow blather of Dancing With The Stars or other network offerings.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:13 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
In re: to the h/c bills . . . while in mark up, I got access to the Kennedy bill off Huffington, believe it or not.

The actual final bill I got through the American Hospital Association - something they made available to members.

I will see what I can link up for you all on that final bill. Just be prepared - if you haven't read legislation before, many sections and subsections refer to either the orginal bill wh/ this legislation amended or to other sections in the bill, lol. I had to literally use two computers at once to pull up various sections, compare them, print them off, etc etc to make sense out of some areas.

I had written extensively on C-D about the bills while still in mark up and folks did not believe me when I tried to explain various sections. They just couldn't fathom such things as requirements that all children on subsidies receive access to healthcare and dental care at school (I believe that was in the Kennedy bill) . . . something wh/ required that medical personnel be on-site at schools and in buildings xxx feet from schools, etc etc. And they couldn't believe that money had been set aside to run ads on TV in Spanish about dental health for children. I can't remember specifics on all this stuff now but off the top of my head, seems that marketing program had $50M in advertising attached to it. I told my hubby - hell, give every kid a toothbrush and some toothpaste - that would be more effective than ads in Spanish . . . I could go on and on . . . some of the stuff in those bills had me so frustrated and upset that I literally had to walk away from my computer and do some yoga and deep breathing b/f my head burst open.

I will see what I can find for anyone who is interested. And I am always glad to explain anything that I can in re: to all the legislative doublespeak that is throughout the bill, lol.

Most folks don't realize that the bill referred to as "Obamacare" was really just a bunch of amendments to the Public Health Service Act of 1944, I believe. (Don't shoot me if I am getting things confused - this is from memory and I am tired tonite).

Bill Text - 111th Congress (2009-2010) - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h3962/text

Old 11-08-2011, 05:19 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
As I have for the past ten years living in two states, I will drive over 600 miles roundtrip to vote for the President because that's my duty as an American. However, having spent 15% of my current life inside the Beltway, I am pretty much burned out on politics and politicians.

And too, I have become bored at the propensity of each successive generation to unknowingly try and repeat history. I suppose that if it weren't for my children and my grandchildren, I would be very happy to watch the dust blow behind the young lemmings as they race wide-eyed toward old liberal precipices. For this I will remain as vigilant as my weariness allows.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
As I have for the past ten years living in two states, I will drive over 600 miles roundtrip to vote for the President because that's my duty as an American. However, having spent 15% of my current life inside the Beltway, I am pretty much burned out on politics and politicians.

And too, I have become bored at the propensity of each successive generation to unknowingly try and repeat history. I suppose that if it weren't for my children and my grandchildren, I would be very happy to watch the dust blow behind the young lemmings as they race wide-eyed toward old liberal precipices. For this I will remain as vigilant as my weariness allows.
"Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty"

Old 11-08-2011, 05:28 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
"Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty"
I suppose I can't be vigilant for an eternity but I will try and handle my assigned post for a lifetime.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I suppose I can't be vigilant for an eternity but I will try and handle my assigned post for a lifetime.
That's all we can do - Bless you for carrying the torch for the next generation.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:22 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
I love worldly concerns!! It sure beats the shallow blather of Dancing With The Stars or other network offerings.
Reading about them but also doing something about them is what I meant. I spent my 20s and 30s and into my 40s involved in doing. I personally don't see much point in reading about things if I don't do at least a little something to act on them...but as I implied, I'm getting a little slow...tired of so much to be concerned about and littler energy to do...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement