Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 07:30 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times

Advertisements

Do any of you retirees do volunteer work? If so, how has that worked out for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 07:39 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
Yes, I do volunteer. I am a CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate for children in foster care) and it's very interesting and satisfying. Here's a link.
National CASA - Court Appointed Special Advocate Association - CASA for Children: Advocating for Abused and Neglected Children

Old 11-10-2011, 09:28 AM

342 posts, read 717,087 times
I'm very involved with our local library (president of the Friends group). I've found it very gratifying - we moved our library to larger quarters,all with the help of volunteers. Did a lot of fundraising to help that happen. Now that the library has more room, they are greatly increasing their programming -trying to be a social center, and we do lots of fundraising to help pay for the programs. I've met lots of nice people and really enjoy it.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:32 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Public schools have been my route to very satisfying volunteer activities. Twice a week at lunch time I run a middle school chess club. The direct reward is the enthusiam of the participants. Once a week I read aloud for 30 minutes to a fifth grade class. It is hard to explain why I find this so gratifying as well. I was lucky enough to be assigned to a well-run school and to an excellent teacher. I read portions of Renata Zerner's memoir Dance on the Volcano: A Teenage Girl in Nazi Germany and then invited the author, who is in her eighties, to address the class, which she did. It was very exciting for all concerned. I have found it an interesting challenge to select appropriate books (in consultation with the teacher). I have read Call of the Wild by Jack London, The Wizard of Oz by Frank Baum, and The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. I am currently in the middle of a fascinating and realistic mystery set among the hard-scrabble trash dump boys of the Philippines written by Andy Mulligan, Trash.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:43 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,580 times
I served on my condo board for a year, that was hard work but enjoyable.

I also tutored ESL for a year. This for me is very interesting and rewarding, since I have an affinity for language. Unfortunately there aren't as many opportunities to do this in Florida where I'm going to be wintering.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:36 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
I do disaster relief with the Southern Baptist's and it's been quite an experience. It's something I never would have been able to do while working (I drove a truck), but the Lord knew what I would be good at and arranged things so that I couldn't turn it down.

I quit working in 2003 and started doing DR the next year. Since then, I've responded to 5 hurricanes (Dennis, Katrina, Gustav, Ike, Irene), 3 Oklahoma ice storms, 2 floods (Iowa, North Dakota), California fires, 3 Oklahoma tornadoes, Michigan storms and even got to go to Haiti. It's the best thing I ever got involved in and, if it weren't for that, I don't know what I'd do with my time.

If you like to travel, have a desire to help people in their hour of greatest need and don't mind being uncomfortable sometimes, I highly recommend it.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,715 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Works fine for me. (Realizing that almost every group with have some 'eager beaver' domineering old fogy trying to 'Run The Show' (usually a failed 'management type' for career field...). Just do your job as best possible for the agency / clients, inspite of the inept leaders...and forget the politics (just like WORK, but... you can LEAVE!). I make it a personal policy to NOT get into management positions in volunteer organizations. I am a better worker bee.

I do 'senior transition' volunteering for poor rural folk, also community economic development for distressed counties (as well as food bank / homeless shelter / public schools / adult ed / Master Gardener, Historic parks, International humanitarian missions ...)

I am still WAY under retirement age, but have been doing this stuff all my life (lived with grandparents, so was doing 'elder care' for needy neighbors @ age 8).

The connections with other volunteers and clients is VERY educational and can be fun. (free food helps )

Old 11-10-2011, 01:46 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
I volunteer 10 to 15 hours per week for our church. I head up a 10-church women's organization and travel from church to church teaching and basically doing quality control with regards to teaching and programs. I work with salt-of-the-earth women and love what I do.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:33 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Works fine for me. (Realizing that almost every group with have some 'eager beaver' domineering old fogy trying to 'Run The Show' (usually a failed 'management type' for career field...). Just do your job as best possible for the agency / clients, inspite of the inept leaders...and forget the politics (just like WORK, but... you can LEAVE!). I make it a personal policy to NOT get into management positions in volunteer organizations. I am a better worker bee.

I do 'senior transition' volunteering for poor rural folk, also community economic development for distressed counties (as well as food bank / homeless shelter / public schools / adult ed / Master Gardener, Historic parks, International humanitarian missions ...)

I am still WAY under retirement age, but have been doing this stuff all my life (lived with grandparents, so was doing 'elder care' for needy neighbors @ age 8).

The connections with other volunteers and clients is VERY educational and can be fun. (free food helps )
I'm with you on being a worker bee. It's far easier to avoid the inevitable politicking and inter-personal discord. Every group has it, even church groups.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:46 PM

4,041 posts, read 2,908,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I'm with you on being a worker bee. It's far easier to avoid the inevitable politicking and inter-personal discord. Every group has it, even church groups.
I also agree with being a worker bee. I have volunteered all of my adult life, and during my working life managed all kinds of volunteer groups. My goal when I retired was to find activities that would be useful but that would just require me to show up on my scheduled day. I volunteer at my local library once a week and at the local hospital foundation as they need me for their fundraising activities. My only leadership volunteering is for the board of our ceramics club -- secretary now, treasurer next year -- and it's just a small group. I like being useful for a few hours a week since the rest of the week is pure selfishness!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement