Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 11:23 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,894,105 times

Advertisements

I don't know the history of nursing homes or how they came to be such disgusting warehouses of the old and infirm. I don't know why they are designed like hospitals with two people to a room (and the rooms are very small).

I can't imagine "living" in a nursing home with a roommate who may be making strange noises, screaming, crying . . .I wouldn't be able to stand the bad smells, all of the acoutrements of illness and disease . . .people walking into your room, 24/7, doing this and that, pulling people out of bed and shoving them in the shower, or slipping a bed pan under them . . .I just could not handle that.

This thread was prompted by another thread where someone said no one really plans on going into a nursing home, it just happens . . .and some headline I recently read that said that "they" are starting to consider alternative design plans for nursing homes based on baby-boomer desires . . . (don't have a source for that - just saw an article in passing) . . .

Obviously, there is lots of room for improvement . . .it doesn't seem like too much thought has gone into design or "life style" issues . . . it's more like military inspired medical facilities . . . blah!

So, if you were on a committee to redesign nursing homes, what might you suggest? I think it would be fun to not let "real life" dictate the design . . .just to see what might be possible . . .it can always be edited later . . .

They get so much money for running the joints that the first thing that would have to change is that the profit margin would have to shrink to accommodate interesting changes.

I say the initial design enhancement could be a setting in rural areas, small but individual rooms with baths (don't want to share a bathroom), uplifting paint colors that the inhabitants can choose from, plants in the rooms, lamp lighting (as well as overhead for medical purposes), comfy beds and chairs, high thread count sheets, nice cotton blankets . . .entertainment such as bowling alleys, coffee shop with newstand and fresh flowers, computers with Netflix so you can watch streaming TV or movies, etc. That's just for starters . . .food prepared by gourmet chefs (or personnel trained by gourmet chefs), organic produce, free range chickens, eggs, etc. IPODs for every "customer" . . . in the common areas, nice background music, which changes based on what is going on (soothing classical at night, energetic classical in a.m., pan flutes, etc.)

An entertainment center where you can watch movies with friends, play board games, bowl . . .

So far I can't really get a feeling for the differences . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 12:38 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,563,651 times
Medical marijuana...

Old 11-20-2011, 12:39 PM

The problem with your scenario (which I like, a lot) is cost. Considering what is charged for minimal care and facilities (the abuse is free) the one you envision would be unaffordable for the majority.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
The problem with your scenario (which I like, a lot) is cost. Considering what is charged for minimal care and facilities (the abuse is free) the one you envision would be unaffordable for the majority.
As I said in the OP, the profit margin would have to shrink to accommodate the design enhancements.

Also, this is an exercise in imagination, so what "reality" dictates is not helpful in the design stage . . .it's all about imaging what would be cool and different and then trying to make it happen.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:52 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,836,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Thus the importance for purchasing a long term care insurance policy when one is still under the age of 40. It is called advanced planning.

What the OP describes is much like "assisted living". Frankly speaking, where there are advanced medical needs such isn't necessarily practical. Rural settings make little difference to those who are quite literally bed-ridden. It also isn't practical regarding hospital access. I have to wonder if the OP has ever spent much time in nursing homes.

There are many advances in eldercare and planning with families for visiting nurses and allowing the elderly to stay in their own homes or with family until such a time that medical needs dictate otherwise. Personally, this would be my choice.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Thus the importance for purchasing a long term care insurance policy when one is still under the age of 40. It is called advanced planning.

What the OP describes is much like "assisted living". Frankly speaking, where there are advanced medical needs such isn't necessarily practical. Rural settings make little difference to those who are quite literally bed-ridden. It also isn't practical regarding hospital access. I have to wonder if the OP has ever spent much time in nursing homes.

There are many advances in eldercare and planning with families for visiting nurses and allowing the elderly to stay in their own homes or with family until such a time that medical needs dictate otherwise. Personally, this would be my choice.
With all due respect, this is not a thread about the merits of long term care . . . it is specifically a thread to CONSIDER how to enhance nursing homes from a DESIGN PERSPECTIVE . . . it's not about money, it's not about practicality - only design . . .

Feel free to start your own thread on how nothing can ever change for "x" reasons.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
As I said in the OP, the profit margin would have to shrink to accommodate the design enhancements.

Also, this is an exercise in imagination, so what "reality" dictates is not helpful in the design stage . . .it's all about imaging what would be cool and different and then trying to make it happen.
I agree, but reality will eventually kick you right in the butt. On the other hand, the right group of people could pull it off. Not being greedy and giving a damn about those you are caring for is key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

What the OP describes is much like "assisted living". Frankly speaking, where there are advanced medical needs such isn't necessarily practical.

We have LTC policies that will take care of us in home up to $1 million dollars each with the benefit transferring if one dies.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:00 PM

Reformers Seek to Reinvent Nursing Homes : NPR

The above link is an excellent article about nursing home design ideas . . .

Old 11-20-2011, 01:04 PM

If you are planning on a rural setting you need to consider medical as emergencies will arise. Not sure how much of an on site staff you'd need, but you'd need some.

Not only reading rooms, but a place where residents can be read to. Included in the library would be books on CD, etc.

Don't forget video games! A lot of us are fans and would want to continue playing.

Dogs and cats, either in rooms or on site somewhere, with considerations for those who have allergies.

NO SMOKING!!!

Old 11-20-2011, 01:17 PM

5,299 posts, read 5,976,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I don't know the history of nursing homes or how they came to be such disgusting warehouses of the old and infirm. I don't know why they are designed like hospitals with two people to a room (and the rooms are very small).

I can't imagine "living" in a nursing home with a roommate who may be making strange noises, screaming, crying . . .I wouldn't be able to stand the bad smells, all of the acoutrements of illness and disease . . .people walking into your room, 24/7, doing this and that, pulling people out of bed and shoving them in the shower, or slipping a bed pan under them . . .I just could not handle that.

This thread was prompted by another thread where someone said no one really plans on going into a nursing home, it just happens . . .and some headline I recently read that said that "they" are starting to consider alternative design plans for nursing homes based on baby-boomer desires . . . (don't have a source for that - just saw an article in passing) . . .

Obviously, there is lots of room for improvement . . .it doesn't seem like too much thought has gone into design or "life style" issues . . . it's more like military inspired medical facilities . . . blah!

So, if you were on a committee to redesign nursing homes, what might you suggest? I think it would be fun to not let "real life" dictate the design . . .just to see what might be possible . . .it can always be edited later . . .

They get so much money for running the joints that the first thing that would have to change is that the profit margin would have to shrink to accommodate interesting changes.

I say the initial design enhancement could be a setting in rural areas, small but individual rooms with baths (don't want to share a bathroom), uplifting paint colors that the inhabitants can choose from, plants in the rooms, lamp lighting (as well as overhead for medical purposes), comfy beds and chairs, high thread count sheets, nice cotton blankets . . .entertainment such as bowling alleys, coffee shop with newstand and fresh flowers, computers with Netflix so you can watch streaming TV or movies, etc. That's just for starters . . .food prepared by gourmet chefs (or personnel trained by gourmet chefs), organic produce, free range chickens, eggs, etc. IPODs for every "customer" . . . in the common areas, nice background music, which changes based on what is going on (soothing classical at night, energetic classical in a.m., pan flutes, etc.)

An entertainment center where you can watch movies with friends, play board games, bowl . . .

So far I can't really get a feeling for the differences . . .
We may need to reconfigure the semi-private rooms into quads or wards to accommodate the tsunami of boomers that will be flooding the system in the not-too-distant future. I'd like to see resources allocated to increasing the staff-to-resident ratio. Personally, I'd want someone available to slide a bedpan under me, wipe my b*** and change my position so I don't develop bedsores. Just sayin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement