Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 05:44 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,667,816 times

Advertisements

Boy oh boy...when it comes to relationship issues, some do try and kiss up on here. Is the wifey/hubby/friend over their shoulder and/or are they showing such to them as in I love you, I am not a snake, you can trust me, I do not think about others (especially ones younger), etc?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 07:00 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Boy oh boy...when it comes to relationship issues, some do try and kiss up on here. Is the wifey/hubby/friend over their shoulder and/or are they showing such to them as in I love you, I am not a snake, you can trust me, I do not think about others (especially ones younger), etc?????
I don't agree. I think some of us finally got lucky, perhaps the second or third time around, and we revel in it, and deserve to. We're lucky enough to have loving, supportive relationships and marriages - some long-term, some not so long. But I don't see "kissing up." I see honest answers to an honest question.

What I get most out of this is that there's hope for everyone, even those who have been badly hurt in the past and have given up. Perhaps they can take hope from some of us who have found late-in-life relationships that work.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:50 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,159 times
I was 17 she was 16, yep High School Sweethearts. Got married 4 years later, that was 30 years ago....

Old 11-28-2011, 08:46 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I don't agree. I think some of us finally got lucky, perhaps the second or third time around, and we revel in it, and deserve to. We're lucky enough to have loving, supportive relationships and marriages - some long-term, some not so long. But I don't see "kissing up." I see honest answers to an honest question.

What I get most out of this is that there's hope for everyone, even those who have been badly hurt in the past and have given up. Perhaps they can take hope from some of us who have found late-in-life relationships that work.
It really does my heart good to read about long and happy marriages. It's what I always wanted for myself but those pesky curve balls got thrown at me and it just wasn't in the cards. When I go to high school reunions there are more widow(ers) than divorcees and most all of them married right out of high school. I was pleasantly surprised to see how many of my old friends had long and happy (far as I know) marriages.

I think some people think, because of my "past", that I must be one of those bitter and hateful 'old women' who hate men now. LOL Nothing could be further from the truth. Honestly, I've never had the time or inclination to be bitter and hateful. I guess I simply don't care to share my life with anyone at this point. I didn't "give up". I just quit caring. Big difference.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:02 PM

866 posts, read 1,137,427 times
In my 40's following my divorce.
Am in a relationship now but I know when this one ends there will
be NO more. Tired of having to give up my life to cater to him.
And it's never good enough!

Old 11-28-2011, 11:37 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
At age 57, when my "BF" of seven years and I broke up. I have been happily single and unencumbered ever since.

I was married once, at age 19 when we were all young hippies, and divorced by 23. Hadn't had a long-term relationship until the BF in 2000. It was nice to be a couple. We were in the same social circle, and it was nice to have someone to slow-dance with, or kiss at the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve. But after seven years of on-off dating, he was on my last nerve. And to be perfectly honest, I have some physical issues that make me very uninterested in sex. I like flirting and dancing and having fun with guys, but I avoid dating because I know it's eventually going to go down that road. Besides which, the guys in my age bracket (60's) look like old men to me! I'm sorry....I guess I just see myself still in my 30's.

So if you ask what I miss about being a couple, there's not much. I love being on my own and accountable to no one except myself. Except I do wonder what it would have been like to be in a relationship of 30, 40, 50 years and still be in love.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:27 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Totally agree and HAD to rep you for this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Old 11-29-2011, 06:34 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Here we go again! Seems to me that it's a person's CHOICE to "give up my life to cater to the him (or her)".
Wife and I cater to each other........that's the way it's suppose to be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmyheartintennessee View Post
In my 40's following my divorce.
Am in a relationship now but I know when this one ends there will
be NO more. Tired of having to give up my life to cater to him.
And it's never good enough
!

Old 11-29-2011, 07:15 AM

782 posts, read 1,087,073 times
Interesting thread and topic.

I stopped dating 2 years ago. I'm in my 50's now. Before that, many dates in the few years after the divorce.
Seldom got past the 3rd date with any. A few of the women, I was really interested in, but I put on the brakes when the red flags popped up.

The overall impression I get these days is that middle aged women don't really care much about having a relationship. Guys seem to be a low priority compared to their freedom, their pet, etc.

I'm considering looking overseas to find an SO. Perhaps someone from a different culture would suit me.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:41 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I stopped a few years ago and have noticed that, in my area, there seem to be alot of single retirees who seem content with their situation.
I didn't pursue one after 37. One was enough to cure me. I don't want a roommate, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement