Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2011, 05:11 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Privacy screens??? He doesn't want them to get so comfy they'll stay forever. Next you'll be suggesting he get up early and make pancakes for the bunch. Give him a break, he's already attained sainthood. He's earned his points.
But the privacy screens work both ways and they would be beneficial for him and them.

Perhaps Ikea would have some inexpensive ones.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:16 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,667,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
But the privacy screens work both ways and they would be beneficial for him and them.

He, they have a lot more issues to confont and deal with then modesty......LOL

Last edited by accufitgolf; 12-07-2011 at 05:35 PM..

Old 12-07-2011, 05:17 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

We used the sliding screens from IKEA to hide my laundry area and soon my art studio. They are The panels are $9 to $14 each the hardware is $15 and the track varies between $20 to $40. YOu can mount them on the ceiling or a wall. They are really cool. Come in many different looks and patterns, I used bamboo/grass and got my mom the 60's revival look for her closets. You could just about close them in if you want. LOL

Old 12-07-2011, 05:51 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Occupy the Ozarks. Has a nice ring to it . And I'll bet there are lots of nice places to set up tents (parks and the like). Robyn
Most of the Ozarks are park-like. That's one reason we chose to retire here. Lotsa room and a great number of ghost towns out in the woods and wilds for squatters and activists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
We used the sliding screens from IKEA to hide my laundry area and soon my art studio. They are The panels are $9 to $14 each the hardware is $15 and the track varies between $20 to $40. YOu can mount them on the ceiling or a wall. They are really cool. Come in many different looks and patterns, I used bamboo/grass and got my mom the 60's revival look for her closets. You could just about close them in if you want. LOL
Sounds like it would impart a sense of permanence. Think I'll use the money to buy some non-essentials like food and toilet paper!

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 12-07-2011 at 06:54 PM..

Old 12-08-2011, 05:05 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
OK - without a floor plan - it's hard to tell. But how big is the guest room? Any possibility of getting 3 people in there (once older child leaves after the holidays)? With bunk beds - convertible sofa - privacy screens/curtains - whatever - etc.? I don't care how small that room is - it has more room for 3 people than a car (which is where they were living). And will give everyone more privacy (boys are only 6 and 8 - ok with mother - it's not like they're 16 and 18). Makes more sense than people going around tippy toe in the morning. Modesty shouldn't be a problem in the winter - it's too darn cold (even here in NE Florida). Robyn

Old 12-08-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
OK - without a floor plan - it's hard to tell. But how big is the guest room? Any possibility of getting 3 people in there (once older child leaves after the holidays)? With bunk beds - convertible sofa - privacy screens/curtains - whatever - etc.? I don't care how small that room is - it has more room for 3 people than a car (which is where they were living). And will give everyone more privacy (boys are only 6 and 8 - ok with mother - it's not like they're 16 and 18). Makes more sense than people going around tippy toe in the morning. Modesty shouldn't be a problem in the winter - it's too darn cold (even here in NE Florida). Robyn
You're right about it being too cold to wander about au naturel in the mornings here, especially as I keep the heat turned way down at night (quilts decidedly come in handy and we have those and comforters).

I get up anywhere between 4:30 and about 6:00 almost every morning and thus far, those people can sleep. I putter around, go into the kitchen and use the hood light to make coffee which I'll take to my office to enjoy. Nobody budges, including whoever is on the sofa bed. My wife usually gets up about an hour or so after I do. They don't start coming-to for at least an hour or so later. But they've always been that way on weekends and right now, they're on an extended weekend.

Actually, they love what we've done with the house and are very comfortable and at-home here. They neither expect, nor do I think they'd really be comfortable, with us making major changes to accommodate them, nor would we. This is the first house my wife has ever owned and we worked long and hard to make it what we both wanted. That's the way it will stay.

I do have to admit though, when buying living room furniture we had the choice of just a regular couch or the same one with the sofa bed feature. I opted for the former since we had a guest room. My wife pretty much insisted on the latter "just in case". I gave-in. In the end, she was right!

Old 12-08-2011, 06:45 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
You're right about it being too cold to wander about au naturel in the mornings here, especially as I keep the heat turned way down at night (quilts decidedly come in handy and we have those and comforters).

I get up anywhere between 4:30 and about 6:00 almost every morning and thus far, those people can sleep. I putter around, go into the kitchen and use the hood light to make coffee which I'll take to my office to enjoy. Nobody budges, including whoever is on the sofa bed. My wife usually gets up about an hour or so after I do. They don't start coming-to for at least an hour or so later. But they've always been that way on weekends and right now, they're on an extended weekend.

Actually, they love what we've done with the house and are very comfortable and at-home here. They neither expect, nor do I think they'd really be comfortable, with us making major changes to accommodate them, nor would we. This is the first house my wife has ever owned and we worked long and hard to make it what we both wanted. That's the way it will stay.

I do have to admit though, when buying living room furniture we had the choice of just a regular couch or the same one with the sofa bed feature. I opted for the former since we had a guest room. My wife pretty much insisted on the latter "just in case". I gave-in. In the end, she was right!
Post a pic of the front of your house! Does it look like the Brady Bunch house?

Old 12-08-2011, 06:55 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,925,490 times
Can you put cameras in or sign up for a Reality show so we can see this unfold in "real time?"

Old 12-08-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Post a pic of the front of your house! Does it look like the Brady Bunch house?
LOL! Not hardly. It's quite modest at 1480 sq. ft. with three bedrooms and two bathrooms and just perfect for the two of us. For the long-haul, if I was willing to give up my office/man cave, it would relatively comfortably house a "traditional" family of five or six. But I'm not and this is not a traditional family.

We bought the house because it was single story and comfortably fit us with a nice-sized utility room and over-sized, two-car garage. Most importantly, it's located where we wanted to be. We never supposed we'd end up being a refugee camp. But life is decidedly what happens when you've made other plans.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:06 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
LOL! Not hardly. It's quite modest at 1480 sq. ft. with three bedrooms and two bathrooms and just perfect for the two of us. For the long-haul, if I was willing to give up my office/man cave, it would relatively comfortably house a "traditional" family of five or six. But I'm not and this is not a traditional family.

We bought the house because it was single story and comfortably fit us with a nice-sized utility room and over-sized, two-car garage. Most importantly, it's located where we wanted to be. We never supposed we'd end up being a refugee camp. But life is decidedly what happens when you've made other plans.
Do you have a lower-level rec room? I had that when I lived in your state and found myself being a surrogate mom for a bunch of neighborhood kids--friends of my own kids. We had many a "sleepover" in that big room, and so many nintendo games that cost me a fortune...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement