Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2011, 04:03 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times

Advertisements

How much snow do you get in general? Do the boys have toboggans?

I'm still waiting for that special buckwheat pancake recipe—great for winter mornings in cold parts...

Old 12-23-2011, 06:46 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
How much snow do you get in general? Do the boys have toboggans?

I'm still waiting for that special buckwheat pancake recipe—great for winter mornings in cold parts...
Not a lot. Generally 2"-4" at a time and it disappears after a few days. Last year was uncharacteristic and we ended up with an accumulation of around 8"-10" that stuck around for awhile.

We're down in a "holler" on a lake. We have somewhat of a micro-climate which is cooler in the summer than its surroundings and somewhat warmer in winter as we don't get all the winds that blow.

No toboggans or sleds. Remember, they came from California so seasons are something new to them.

As for the rest, I'll DM ya.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:59 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times
Smile A picture postcard

It's nice to look at - I remember it from when I was a child but my husband only saw snow (and it was flurries) in December 2009 in Tennessee when we were on a business trip

You take some nice pics and hopefully, you'll get a repeat performance! Those boys would be so excited!

Old 12-25-2011, 08:09 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
It's nice to look at - I remember it from when I was a child but my husband only saw snow (and it was flurries) in December 2009 in Tennessee when we were on a business trip

You take some nice pics and hopefully, you'll get a repeat performance! Those boys would be so excited!
So we survived Christmas with youngsters in the house. Haven't had that for a long time. We may have snow tomorrow night and Tuesday which would just thrill the boys, and me as well. I love it. Grandsons were predictably excited and Santa performed satisfactorily. Plenty of things to keep them entertained and occupied. That's decidedly a good thing. We might just all survive Christmas (Yes, they still call it that here in America) Vacation.

Took the family to Mass last evening and scored a 2-fer. Met our Christmas obligation as well as our Sunday obligation so didn't have to break up the fun and frivolity of today.

Seems that Santa and the reindeer were heard on the roof last night (aided just a wee bit by some wacky grandpa ringing sleigh bells outside the bedroom window, tossing some gravel on the roof and singing out a very bass (a deep voice helps sometimes) "Ho, ho, ho!" before sneaking back into the house and going to bed.

Prime rib roasted on the grill the grill pleased all - youngsters and adults alike - so the day ended with success. Bedtime beckons shortly and we turn our sights to a New Year ham and Epiphany (12th day of Christmas) spitted duck. Life is good!

Hope everyone's Christmas was exactly what they wanted it to be, more and better.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:25 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,907,941 times
Default Ho ho ho

What a good Grandpa (er Santa)

Old 12-25-2011, 09:05 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
seems that santa and the reindeer were heard on the roof last night (aided just a wee bit by some wacky grandpa ringing sleigh bells outside the bedroom window, tossing some gravel on the roof and singing out a very bass (a deep voice helps sometimes) "ho, ho, ho!" before sneaking back into the house and going to bed.

What a sap

Old 12-25-2011, 09:27 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,180 times
Sounds like a Christmas the boys will always remember.

Great job, Gramps.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:27 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon;22267304I
Seems that Santa and the reindeer were heard on the roof last night (aided just a wee bit by some wacky grandpa ringing sleigh bells outside the bedroom window, tossing some gravel on the roof and singing out a very bass (a deep voice helps sometimes) "Ho, ho, ho!" before sneaking back into the house and going to bed.
LOL - I would love to have been an owl in a tree observing that. I am pretty certain this is certainly one of your grandkids' happier Christmases. Good job.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:48 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,420,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Well, this just warms my heart! I think you should change the subject of this thread to "My Retirement Adventure". I think your grandsons will look back on Christmas of 2011 with great fondness.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:53 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
So we survived Christmas with youngsters in the house. Haven't had that for a long time. We may have snow tomorrow night and Tuesday which would just thrill the boys, and me as well. I love it. Grandsons were predictably excited and Santa performed satisfactorily. Plenty of things to keep them entertained and occupied. That's decidedly a good thing. We might just all survive Christmas (Yes, they still call it that here in America) Vacation.

Took the family to Mass last evening and scored a 2-fer. Met our Christmas obligation as well as our Sunday obligation so didn't have to break up the fun and frivolity of today.

Prime rib roasted on the grill the grill pleased all - youngsters and adults alike - so the day ended with success. Bedtime beckons shortly and we turn our sights to a New Year ham and Epiphany (12th day of Christmas) spitted duck. Life is good!

Hope everyone's Christmas was exactly what they wanted it to be, more and better.
I'm jealous a combination of my poor health and my childrens new jobs meant I didn't get to see anyone this year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement