Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2012, 12:50 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Perhaps you could. After all, we only know your side of the story. You could actually be a mean nasty old curmudgeon who starves the kids and makes them eat your leftovers (you did say you and DW ate first, right?) and potato peelings. You could force them to sit with you and watch endless reruns of "Have Gun Will Travel", "Mayberry RFD" and John Wayne movies, or make them mow the grass and shovel the snow while you curse them from behind the big picture window.

But I'm not buying it.

You could be like my FIL - his DW of 30 years kicked him out, so he moved in with two 20-year-old female twins. Talk about landing on your - er, feet!
Hmm! Twins sound good. Better if they're redheads.

Actually, the kids and SD eat first. John Wayne was one of my neighbors growing up. Ya could do worse!

Old 01-12-2012, 01:09 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,466,951 times
OMG! - I sit here gasping as I read this. I expected there would be conflict with SD & progeny in your house, but didn't expect anything like this - not so soon. Since your wife pretty much had a tough row to hoe for years before you married, by now I expected she appreciated the life she had today. At the same time, SD/GD being problems, at times the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Someone upthread said "drama queens." That applies. There is more going on in the SD/wife dynamic than we can glean via cyberspace. I had an old friend whose favorite quote was "sleep w/dogs, get fleas." Perhaps a bit graphic. Nonetheless, you can't separate the baggage from the people, hard as we might try.

So, SD was attempting to unlock your computer for what purpose? Financial information, check out the internet sites you visit? Guess you'll have to go back to locking the door to that room. You said you'd put a new kid-proof lock in. How about a SD-proof lock?

Also, wonder what's going on their little minds. Do SD/DW plan to stay in the house and ask you to leave? Methinks that's the plan. After all, SD needs her own room. Your mancave is the solution.

Aw, geez. Talk about living in an armed camp, now.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-12-2012 at 01:18 PM..

Old 01-12-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
OMG - I sit here gasping as I read this. I expected there would be conflict with SD & progeny in your house, but didn't expect anything like this - not so soon. Since your wife pretty much had a tough row to hoe for years before you married, by now I expected she appreciated the life she had today. At the same time, SD/GD being problems, at times the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Someone upthread said "drama queens." That applies. There is more going on in the SD/wife dynamic than we can glean via cyberspace. I had an old friend whose favorite quote was "sleep w/dogs, get fleas." Perhaps a bit graphic. Nonetheless, you can't separate the baggage from the people, hard as we might try.

So, SD was attempting to unlock your computer for what purpose? Financial information, check out the internet sites you visit? Guess you'll have to go back to locking the door to that room. You said you'd put a new kid-proof lock in. How about a SD-proof lock?

Aw, geez. Talk about living in an armed camp, now.
Yup! And Jimmie crack corn and I don't care. As an old soldier I've always believed in the mantra of "Know your enemy." Just hafta hide the keys. SD showed her hand this morning. Wife showed hers yesterday. All's right with the world. I know where I stand. Thankfully, the fleas can't reach me.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:21 PM

Quoting from my previous post which I edited after you posted:

Quote:
Also, wonder what's going on their little minds. Do SD/DW plan to stay in the house and ask you to leave? Methinks that's the plan. After all, SD needs her own room. Your mancave is the solution.
Have they got as far as discussing who stays where, yet? I'm sure you've thought about this.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Quoting from my previous post which I edited after you posted:

Have they got as far as discussing who stays where, yet? I'm sure you've thought about this.
Yup! As long as I get out with my oersonal belongings, my grill and my guns, I'm a happy camper. They're welcome to the rest, the house and the attendant costs.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:44 PM

What a friggen nightmare. You love that place. You also love and like (combination is rare) your wife, from what I've picked up.

Your wife can't afford this. SD's CA UE won't last forever. I know CA benefits are on the high side, but they will end. SD getting a job in your area - ha - I'll believe that when I see it. She's a strange bird - I don't think finding employment will be very easy - AND - it won't replace what she's getting now from CA benefits. More likely, whatever she earns will be less.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:44 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,049,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
SD showed her hand this morning. Wife showed hers yesterday. All's right with the world. I know where I stand.
The h*** with SD and the broom she rode in on. But wife, could it be that she was overwhelmed and just grabbed wildly at any mode of attack (i.e., divorce)?

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 01-12-2012 at 01:54 PM..

Old 01-12-2012, 01:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Wow..what a kick in the gut. I'm so sorry for you.
I hope you can salvage enough pieces to start the next part of your life comfortably.

It really did turn into a nightmare..didn't it ?

Old 01-12-2012, 02:43 PM

Well, I musta had a premonition when I started this thread back in relatively early December and called it a nightmare.

As for the material issues, I couldn't care less. Lived like a monk in a studio apartment after my first divorce almost 20 years ago and can do so again. After all, the house and possessions are just things and nothing more.

Nobody has discussed particulars but as soon as I can I'll be outta here and leave STBX (whatever she grabbed at) and her daughter to take it from there. To hell with my man cave. My computer, filing cabinet safe, guns and art go where I go and then the space will be up for grabs. Of course my desk weighs a hundred pounds + but they can figure out how to move it out of the way. Not my problem.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:06 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
What a friggen nightmare. You love that place. You also love and like (combination is rare) your wife, from what I've picked up.

Your wife can't afford this. SD's CA UE won't last forever. I know CA benefits are on the high side, but they will end. SD getting a job in your area - ha - I'll believe that when I see it. She's a strange bird - I don't think finding employment will be very easy - AND - it won't replace what she's getting now from CA benefits. More likely, whatever she earns will be less.
All my sentiments, exactly. Not to add to the drama unnecessarily, but could this have been a longtime plan in the making? Best it all is happening now, while dear Curmudgeon has many years to recover. I can't help but thinking the turn of events will only add years to his life. The turn of events could of course include a reconciliation with D?W, but whatever is rearing its head is something that would best come out now rather than later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement