Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 09:08 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
We must have belonged to that small group of unusual and adaptable people. We moved to Italy (we are not of Italian heritage) after retirement and loved our life there. We were covered by the national health care that cost us $480 a year for two people, 100% coverage. My husband had a heart attack during the seven years we lived there. He flatlined five times within the first 45 minutes. One of his three cardiologists was ranked in the top of the field, internationally. The care we received during and after was incredible. For an entire year after my husband was released from the hospital, he was attended by two cardiologists who gave us their cell phone numbers in case of emergency, a nutritionist, two therapists, and two psychologists (one for him, one for me -- the Italians believe the family of heart patients needs as much care as the patients.)

Our total cost, from A to Z? €60 ($100), one time charge, for a drug that was not covered by the state. When the doctors realized we had to pay, they changed that particular med and we did not pay again.

Had we still lived there, his medications would continue to be free for life.
And some people ask why Italy is in the midst of a financial crisis!

Best wishes, though, and good for you that the system in Italy worked so well for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 10:48 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
And some people ask why Italy is in the midst of a financial crisis!

Best wishes, though, and good for you that the system in Italy worked so well for you.
Italy is in crisis not because of the national health, but because a great majority of Italians cheat on taxes. Italians and Greeks both do not believe they should pay income taxes at all. In addition, most Italians receive property tax exempt due to the age of their houses (I did) so the government does not receive a whole lot of money there either. The Italian government is giving amnesty left and right to all past tax evaders, begging people to step up, pay back taxes and save the economy. No one did.

Another reason Italian economy is in crisis because the EU cut their tobacco growing to minimal. Second only after wine, tobacco is Italian's great source of revenue. EU's no-smoking-no-tobacco-growing forced a great deal of Italians into indefinite unemployment. I lived in tobacco country, I saw what happened.

As far as the national health care that worked very well for us, many Italians gave the system a thumb down, I do not understand why. In Italy, to keep up with the Jones, one must buy private insurance instead of relying on the state, so anyone who is able to pay, does.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,279 times
when you retire and move to a foreign country and have a federal gov US pention check coming in monthly - do you still have to pay income tax to the US or who?? Any info much appreciated.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:28 AM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,697 times
People in this thread need to get out more. Seriously. Both Thailand and Malaysia would be great places to retire. I've spent a lot of time in each. Fantastic food, affordable real estate, great and inexpensive healthcare, and in Malaysia in particular, English widely spoken.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:05 AM

2 posts, read 2,279 times
Stoutboy, I would be happy to try either of those places. But would rather pay income tax to the country I live in and not the U.S. on my pension income. I can't seem to find an answer on how that works. I'm ready to move. But don't want to move to another country and continue paying US VERY high Federal income taxes. But my pension/TSP would not be 'earned income' and would come out of the US so is not exempt and I'm worried I'll still have to pay US income tax. Would rather my tax money go to country I reside in. I would be willing to give up my US citizenship.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:24 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,342 times
That may be true about the healthcare being less expensive however in crowded Asian nations human life is not thought of in the same manner as we do here.
I have been without health insurance for 3 years and I have found some ways to have certain medical check ups for free or almost free. I had a colonoscopy, pap test and mammography all at no charge. Anyone that doesn't have healthcare I would recommend looking into different states to see what options you have. Some states offer a buy in insurance plan and others have other ways to help such as having certain well care visits covered.
If you qualify financially Medicade is available.
If you don't have medical insurance you probably have to pay for prescription drugs. The least expensive place for this is Costco. I was paying 100.00 a month from a big box drugstore chain and now paying 16.00 a month at Costco. Huge difference I say. You do NOT have to be a member to use their pharmacy if you live near one you just inform the door greeter your here for the pharmacy and they let you pass. I'm not sure if this is true with their mail order pharmacy but you can certainly call to ask.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:27 AM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
That may be true about the healthcare being less expensive however in crowded Asian nations human life is not thought of in the same manner as we do here.
This is a rather loaded statement and is, in my experience, erroneous.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:08 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
"however in crowded Asian nations human life is not thought of in the same manner as we do here."

Could the poster elaborate, and how that might affect someone moving there?
Many poorer people have a fatalistic/religious reaction to illness and unfortunate events. I'd chalk that up to lack of options and religious instruction to same, and not limited to "crowded Asian nations."

Old 04-10-2012, 10:24 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
There are many benefits and advantages of retiring overseas. Launching a new life in a new country at this stage of your life can mean better weather, new adventures and opportunities, and new friends. You can realize the beach life you've dreamed of for decades and sometimes even realize some significant tax savings by relocating overseas.

6 Affordable Places to Retire Abroad in 2012 - Yahoo! Finance

Some of these places are worth looking into, if for no other reason, the much cheaper cost of health care.
Unrealistic choices/options for probably 99.9% of USA retirees. And what's affordable or low-cost in 2011 (when the linked article was written and information gathered) will not be the same two or three years afterwards.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:27 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
There are a few people who are regular posters on Other Topics who are living abroad. If you're serious about an idea like this, I would suggest hanging out on Other Topics, befriending them, and maybe eventually asking their opinion.

I thinking living abroad can work out well, but only in certain countries. I wouldn't personally try any of the cities recommended by this article. IMO, there are many cities where Americans, especially elderly Americans, can become a target for criminals/terrorists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement