Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 06:46 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsong View Post
There are a few reasons I say China but the best one is she comes from there and has family there, but I like Thailand the best.
Until you get back here and find your favorite spot paved over to make way for a WALMART
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 06:50 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I would like to retire to one of the little 2nd floor apartments above the stores on the Santa Fe Plaza. Walk downstairs to a breakfast of blue corn and pinon pancakes and spend the day people watching on the Plaza. A walk or shuttle trip over to Canyon Road to see if there is anything new in the galleries, then on to one of the many activities up at museum hill. Perhaps learn to ski at the ski basin. Too bad I'm going to fall over dead sitting at my computer drafting someone else's estate plan.
You can be an estate lawyer anywhere in the world. Move now, while you're still kicking, and reopen your practice there. Hang out your sign and the well-heeled elders will show up...

Old 12-07-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I'm in twilight now and I've bounced that one around moving four times, my health is not good now so I'm holding out for a final move.
Aren't you in paradise now (AZ)?? Why move?

Old 12-07-2011, 07:00 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Aren't you in paradise now (AZ)?? Why move?
Actually this winter and last have been frigid here on the Mexican Border, 24 last night, been this way for a week. Last winter it got down to 8 for a week and the gas lines to town ruptured so no one had heat. We spent a week huddled around a couple space heaters. I was thinkiing of visiting relatives in Ohio where iit's warmer

Old 12-07-2011, 09:11 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
You can be an estate lawyer anywhere in the world. Move now, while you're still kicking, and reopen your practice there. Hang out your sign and the well-heeled elders will show up...

Oh, I wish that were true. NM like most states that attract retirees, makes it nearly impossible to be admitted other than by going back to school there and taking the bar exam. Some states make an exception for really well qualified, experienced lawyers to be admitted on motion to the Supreme Court. NM does not. Every applicant must pass the bar exam (most of which is local to NM) and be approved by the Board of Bar Examiners.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Oh, I wish that were true. NM like most states that attract retirees, makes it nearly impossible to be admitted other than by going back to school there and taking the bar exam. Some states make an exception for really well qualified, experienced lawyers to be admitted on motion to the Supreme Court. NM does not. Every applicant must pass the bar exam (most of which is local to NM) and be approved by the Board of Bar Examiners.
Well you're fairly young I'll bet, so go for it! How hard can a bar exam be?

Old 12-07-2011, 10:27 AM

13 posts, read 48,582 times
Default retirement

Each individual, or couple, or group has to answer where they want to retire themselves.

I live in Florida and I can't wait to leave it. I would prefer a safe part of a large city with good public transportation that includes a subway. I would like to live within walking distance of the subway or be able to get to it easily by other public conveyance.

I would like to get rid of my car and just rent one (or use the zip cars) when I need a car.

I would like to live near a lot of inexpensive ethnic restaurants. I would like to be able to go to the opera, symphony, concerts easily by public transportation.

I would like to like to be near markets, especially farmers' markets.

And....I would like to be near young people. I would especially like to get to know a young couple who would let me babysit occasionally for them. I am a retired guidance counsellor and I miss kids.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:42 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
My twilight years? Laying on a warm beach being served drinks by young topless native women.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsong View Post
... I like Thailand the best.
Me too, there is an amazing choice of climate / views in Thailand, and people are very friendly and helpful.

Malaysia has me a bit worried due to politics / religious zealotry, But also has nice climate diversity for SE Asia.

I foresee both of these areas as reasonable retreats for golden yrs. Quality, Live-in care would be very affordable, or... you could just become 'adopted' by a host family and build a small apartment on their property.

I do have a tough time reading the street signs in Thailand.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:41 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
I would prefer a safe part of a large city with good public transportation that includes a subway

I believe that is called a dichotomy as in the parts do not not exist together. Like a cheap home in the best part of a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement