Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 09:19 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,371,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Most people of any age are boring.
Maybe in Wyoming! (Well, except for Dick Cheney!!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 09:54 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
You are so RIGHT! Why are people in their late 60's and older so boring? They won't drive at night, or they are only interested in family. Or they simply want to sit around and take naps. Or they have medical issues that prohibit a lot of activities (of course, they can't help that!). Or maybe they are depressed?
Wow...I was rendered speechless after reading this post. Were your comments meant to be tongue-in-cheek, or are you actually serious in your comments?

I've got some time until I hit my late 60's, but I know a number of older people who recognize that their night vision has diminished and it's just not safe enough for them to drive after dark anymore. I applaud them for coming to that realization. Do YOU want to be on the highway with people who insist on driving despite the fact that their vision is compromised? I certainly don't...

And what's the problem with only being interested in family? Thank heavens they're interested...period. Maybe their circle of friends has changed...maybe they've moved or passed away. As I said, I'm not of this age (yet) and I have already lost several good friends to the nasty disease of cancer. Sadly, some of these friends were only in their 40's.

I understand that some older people can be boring. Some of them will only talk about the "good old days", others will fill your ears with details (that you'd rather not hear) of their latest illness. But you can't paint all older people with the same brush.

I have a suggestion: perhaps you could come back to the forum in X number of years when you've become late 60's or older. I'd be very interested in how your life has changed over the years, and whether or not you've become "boring".

Old 12-31-2011, 10:22 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
I understand that some older people can be boring. Some of them will only talk about the "good old days", others will fill your ears with details (that you'd rather not hear) of their latest illness. But you can't paint all older people with the same brush.

I
I enjoy that. I was having Eggs Benedict the other morning at a local eatery when one of the regulars brought some great photographs from his colonoscopy and passed them 'round. We talked about colons which led to bowel movements and gas. We all agreed that it's interesting how hydration gives efflatus a particularly distinctive and complex aroma.

Then one of the boys started telling us about his incontinence after prostate surgery and described the exercises his physician had recommended. His new nickname is Drippy.

Then we played an informal trivia game. I almost won when ino one could answer my question asking what Adolph Hitler's reference to "the carpet sweepers" was. Then a chap arrived who knew the answer and he asked me their names. I couldn't remember.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:40 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I enjoy that. I was having Eggs Benedict the other morning at a local eatery when one of the regulars brought some great photographs from his colonoscopy and passed them 'round.
I must say that I was quite fascinated when I saw the photos of my own colon after my first colonoscopy...my colon looked so clean and pink and healthy! However, it never occurred to me to share those photos with anyone.

On second thought, maybe I should post them on Facebook? It seems like everybody else posts all kinds of weird stuff...why I should I be any different?

Old 12-31-2011, 04:51 PM

Default Colonoscopy Pics

Quote:
I must say that I was quite fascinated when I saw the photos of my own colon after my first colonoscopy...my colon looked so clean and pink and healthy! However, it never occurred to me to share those photos with anyone.

On second thought, maybe I should post them on Facebook? It seems like everybody else posts all kinds of weird stuff...why I should I be any different?
Actually, the same week I had my colonoscopy, my 10 yr. old granddaughter was studying the colon in science at school. I told her I had the photos of the inside of mine, and she was thrilled for me to photocopy it and let her take the pic to class. I felt famous!

Old 12-31-2011, 05:05 PM

Default Older People Keeping Up-to-Date

Quote:
Wow...I was rendered speechless after reading this post. Were your comments meant to be tongue-in-cheek, or are you actually serious in your comments?

I've got some time until I hit my late 60's, but I know a number of older people who recognize that their night vision has diminished and it's just not safe enough for them to drive after dark anymore. I applaud them for coming to that realization. Do YOU want to be on the highway with people who insist on driving despite the fact that their vision is compromised? I certainly don't...

And what's the problem with only being interested in family? Thank heavens they're interested...period. Maybe their circle of friends has changed...maybe they've moved or passed away. As I said, I'm not of this age (yet) and I have already lost several good friends to the nasty disease of cancer. Sadly, some of these friends were only in their 40's.

I have a suggestion: perhaps you could come back to the forum in X number of years when you've become late 60's or older. I'd be very interested in how your life has changed over the years, and whether or not you've become "boring".
No, I was serious. Yes, people who can't see well should NOT drive at night. However, that does limit where they can go, etc., thereby making them less fun to be around. And why do they have to be ONLY interested in family? It'd be nice if they would reach out to other new people their age whom they don't know. Maybe they'd make new friends and learn something different. It's a kindness to be friendly to people new in their church, club, or town.

And I am 67 NOW and not at all like your friends!!!! We are constantly trying new things and going new places. We love our family but are always open to meeting new people, our age, older or younger. Some of our best friends were 25 years older than us. We met them when we moved to FL. We had LOTS of fun times with them. The wife died at age 93 and was as spunky and fun as ever. She didn't repeat old stories, tell lots of details about her illnesses, and she drove until she was 90. I think you have painted all older people with the same brush. The Boomers are coming along and I hope they will follow a different drummer. Which is good, because "older people" need a new reputation.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:18 AM

Default Speaking about Retired People

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I am probably one of those people that you would find "boring". I don't match any of the things you mentioned that, supposedly, MAKE a person boring but there's not much that interests me outside of home. I work and it's a demanding...physically and mentally...job so when I get home I don't want to do anything. I generally have split days off so it takes that ONE day to get my energy back up to go 'do it again'. Somehow I manage to stay busy at home, never get bored and don't feel any great need to get out and socialize.

I may be boring but, dang, I like me! lol I am perfectly content with my life and if others find me boring I'd say that's THEIR problem, not MINE!
Sorry, I was referring to retired people. I perferctly understand (and remember) being very tired at the end of the work day/week and wanting to just "kick back."

Old 01-01-2012, 09:15 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Sorry, I was referring to retired people. I perferctly understand (and remember) being very tired at the end of the work day/week and wanting to just "kick back."
I AM "retired". But I work part time. Although, for the past month plus, it's closer to full time. I work for Walmart. I'm 69 and 'tried' to fully retire 7 years ago but, obviously, it didn't work out. I found out I am REALLY addicted to eating and having a roof over my head!

Old 01-01-2012, 12:22 PM

8,948 posts, read 20,370,228 times
I still think that our neighbors, who are in our age bracket and older, think that wife and I are part of a "WILD BUNCH" or are going thru a "mid-life crisis" in our early/mid 60's because of the way we act. Our lives are somewhat slower during the cooler winter months here, but when Spring and Summer hit, we are out on the water in our boat "partying" away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement